Dealing with an inappropriate med school rotation coordinator

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a member

"I am a current US medical student who has not yet done clinical rotations. In the recent past, I saw a physician who works for the university health service for a medical issue, and had a deeply unpleasant experience. The physician in question behaved in a grossly unprofessional manner (fell asleep during the intake interview, rolled his eyes at me while awake), did not appear to have read a word of my chart or be interested in listening to what I was saying (accused me of drug-seeking for something I had told him I was unable to tolerate literally five minutes before), and was dangerously incompetent (told me to try an herbal supplement that could, in fact, kill me due to the chronic medication I am on). It was sufficiently egregious that I filed a formal complaint with the health service against him.

Lo and behold, it turns out now that he seems to have supervisory duties for medical student rotations in his specialty. I don't want to be in the same room as him, let alone be evaluated by him (I can't believe that the health service managed to keep my complaint strictly confidential). What is the graceful and prudent way to make sure he can't fail me out of spite?"

If you are assigned to a site where he is a supervisor and has a role in evaluating you, then you need to talk to one of the dean's at your school and explain the situation, perhaps without all of the details you described above. There really aren't many other options here.

Of course, it's quite possible this person won't remember you? But still, I'd wait and see if you are assigned duty at their place and then talk to a dean.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to document your complaits up the entire chain of command (Clinical Deans; dept' Chairs; school Dean; Provost, perhaps even HR as well) to have a written record in case you're worried about retaliation.

Posted for a member

"I am a current US medical student who has not yet done clinical rotations. In the recent past, I saw a physician who works for the university health service for a medical issue, and had a deeply unpleasant experience. The physician in question behaved in a grossly unprofessional manner (fell asleep during the intake interview, rolled his eyes at me while awake), did not appear to have read a word of my chart or be interested in listening to what I was saying (accused me of drug-seeking for something I had told him I was unable to tolerate literally five minutes before), and was dangerously incompetent (told me to try an herbal supplement that could, in fact, kill me due to the chronic medication I am on). It was sufficiently egregious that I filed a formal complaint with the health service against him.

Lo and behold, it turns out now that he seems to have supervisory duties for medical student rotations in his specialty. I don't want to be in the same room as him, let alone be evaluated by him (I can't believe that the health service managed to keep my complaint strictly confidential). What is the graceful and prudent way to make sure he can't fail me out of spite?"

If you are assigned to a site where he is a supervisor and has a role in evaluating you, then you need to talk to one of the dean's at your school and explain the situation, perhaps without all of the details you described above. There really aren't many other options here.

Of course, it's quite possible this person won't remember you? But still, I'd wait and see if you are assigned duty at their place and then talk to a dean.

This really shouldn't be an issue. Anyone who provided clinical care for you, of any flavor, should recuse themselves from evaluating you. I would leave the complaint / practice issues out of it if possible. Simply tell the Dean of Student's office that would would request a site where this person will not evaluate you. I can't imagine they would have any problem with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Note that this is illegal in some states.

Twelve, to be exact:

Of the 50 states, 38, as well as the District of Columbia, allow you to record a conversation to which you are a party without informing the other parties you are doing so. Federal wiretap statutes also permit this so-called one-party-consent recording of telephone conversations in most circumstances.1 Twelve states forbid the recording of private conversations without the consent of all parties. Those states are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Note that this is illegal in some states.

Only if you don't tell the other person. Turn the phone on, explain that you are not comfortable being alone in the room with that person and audibly inform them you will be recording the conversation and you are not breaking any laws. It is up to the other person to speak at that point if they so choose.

Also, depending on the state the statute is written only so that the recording can't be used in a court of law. Simply having it on hand to let a dean know what actually took place is not going to get someone thrown in jail.

Try to do rotations somewhere else.

If that doesn't work:

Keep a log on your personal iPhone (not the company's) of every single additional problem from that person with the date and time it happened. If he says something inappropriate, make an effort to write down his exact words. There are iPhone apps that record your voice or you can email yourself short messages after any incidents (use personal email, not the company's). If you don't want germs and calstat on your phone, you can put it in a plastic zip-lock bag. The touch screen will still work and stay clean!

A good question is, "Who, if anyone, would be a trustworthy person to speak with about this situation, if you get stuck doing rotations in that person's department?" Sometimes an older (or more experienced) mentor who knows the hierarchy and how things run around there would work for this. It will add to your credibility to initiate this discussion before rotations start. If you don't have a trustworthy person on hand, this could be difficult. I hope someone on here can give you better advice about this part.

Posted for a member