DEA numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobie

When in doubt, open another pharmacy school
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious question:

Have a provider that just got his license back as a dentist (got into a little criminal trouble for taking controls). How does the DEA handle his reapplication? I was trying to look it up but didn't see anything specific.

Members don't see this ad.

Curious question:

Have a provider that just got his license back as a dentist (got into a little criminal trouble for taking controls). How does the DEA handle his reapplication? I was trying to look it up but didn't see anything specific.
What are you asking? Who processes his paperwork?

What are you asking? Who processes his paperwork?

I would imagine he has to reappy to the DEA to get a DEA number. will they grant it to him, considering his past?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but it goes to an Article I ALJ to make the determination whether or not it can be restored, it's never just a form matter if the number was suspended in the past. If the number was revoked, it goes before DoJ to recommend whether or not it can go to a Show Cause hearing.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the answer. what if it was a new provider? example: a new provider (md, pa/np, pharmacist) that is applying for their first DEA number and they had been in trouble for control diversion in the past. I would imagine it would not exclude you from getting an initial DEA number....

thanks for the answer. what if it was a new provider? example: a new provider (md, pa/np, pharmacist) that is applying for their first DEA number and they had been in trouble for control diversion in the past. I would imagine it would not exclude you from getting an initial DEA number....

Oh, it would. This would probably go to a Show Cause hearing, and they usually require supervision if granted. In your area, the person would be heading to the Field Office in Minneapolis once the application gets acknowledged and is going to be considered.

Reactions: 1 user
interesting information. thanks. Glad we do not have to worry about that as pharmacists.... well, not yet at least.

interesting information. thanks. Glad we do not have to worry about that as pharmacists.... well, not yet at least.

If you are an owner or a PIC you do have to worry about this. Pharmacies must have a DEA license to dispense controlled medications and they can lose their DEA license (and possibly reapply in at a later time.)