Days out post-op ISB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasmark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have one of our better ortho docs who has started requesting interscalene blocks for his patients prior to therapy about a week out. I have done one so far just to keep things smooth, but am wondering how to be documenting/billing to make sure this is above the board. We are a private non-pain group.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

We have one of our better ortho docs who has started requesting interscalene blocks for his patients prior to therapy about a week out. I have done one so far just to keep things smooth, but am wondering how to be documenting/billing to make sure this is above the board. We are a private non-pain group.
thanks
Insurance won't pay for these so you are doing them for free. You were already paid for the post-op pain block so you can't justify it that way. I don't know...the only way I see you getting paid for this is if the orthopod ponies up the dough which certainly WON'T happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Saying, "F.U. I won't get paid, so I ain't doing 'em" Is bad on many levels. Ask him, "Can you show me evidence in the literature that supports the benefits of this practice that justifies the risk to the patient?" Is a better argument. Assuming that there is some weak evidence, saying: "Well not many/ZERO entities feel that the evidence is convincing, other wise it would be a covered service." Is also a better argument.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you will still work for free and take on liability even if there are 20,000 individual randomized controlled studies showing it works???

Reactions: 1 users
So you will still work for free and take on liability even if there are 20,000 individual randomized controlled studies showing it works???

There is a difference between providing an individual service that I know that I won't get paid for based on a variety of factors...and working for free.

You can do the Post op pain control with an On-Q pump and that would be a continuous catheter technique and try to see if the PT therapy can be moved up to day 2-3.... We do a good majority of patients with continuous On-Q pump with PT at day 3 right about when the pump is removed.

I remember doing ISBs prior to the first physical therapy session after shoulder surgery in an academic setting many years ago. The physical therapists loved it since it allowed them to achieve maximal range of motion. I am not sure the department got paid for the blocks though, but I guess it did not matter since most of these patients had no insurance any way.
In the current reimbursement environment I don't think there is a conceivable way to get paid for these blocks.

Yeah I don't anticipate getting paid for these, just trying to keep the Ortho happy and not rock the boat. Any documentation worries?

Is there ANY reason to believe that the thousands of post-shoulder surgery patients out there every year aren't rehabing adequately without a block? If someone is unable to perform adequate PT due to pain despite simple analgesics and/or opioids, then I'd consider it.

Yeah I don't anticipate getting paid for these, just trying to keep the Ortho happy and not rock the boat. Any documentation worries?
I would obtain a separate consent for the block with detailed explanation of the procedure and all possible complications like nerve injury, phrenic palsy, local anesthetic toxicity, and death. Then write a detailed note of the block technique and monitor the patient for 30 minutes with vitals documented every 5 minutes.

Is it realy post op pain? It's more like a block for a new procedure (PT). Wont it be like providing a block for reducing a bone?

One week out and you said yes?? I'm all for helping surgeons out but that's a bad idea. You're a consultant, it's ok to say NO. I get requests every so often that are absolutely crazy and this would fall into that category.

We occasionally get manipulations under MAC with a PNB request since PT is that same day. To me that's a very reasonable request.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. Why can't you bill for the procedure visit? You're a doctor trained and credentialed in ultrasound guided nerve blocks right, doing an indicated procedure to help with pain?

I'd consider something other an ISB though.

This sounds like the orthopedist is pushing you to become a perioperative surgical home, providing post-operative analgesia and improving recovery with PT.

Saying, "F.U. I won't get paid, so I ain't doing 'em" Is bad on many levels. Ask him, "Can you show me evidence in the literature that supports the benefits of this practice that justifies the risk to the patient?" Is a better argument. Assuming that there is some weak evidence, saying: "Well not many/ZERO entities feel that the evidence is convincing, other wise it would be a covered service." Is also a better argument.

Our surgeons would totally understand this. They don't work for free and don't expect us to either. If we explained to them that we can't get paid, they'd back off on the request. "Can't get paid" is a completely legitimate reason not to do a risky procedure. I'd leave out the FU part though.

If we're talking shoulder surgery...personally...I would recommend a suprascapular here. Yes The shoulder is also innervated by the axillary nerve, and you are going to miss this whereas you would not with the ISB. However, I think on the whole you will still get excellent analgesia which is sufficient for rehabilitation, while avoiding the dangers as well as the profound motor loss of the ISB. (you will only lose the supra and infraspinatus)

I think on the whole it is a very reasonable request for patients who are not tolerating PT. Not a reasonable request if it is for everyone. Don't just say no to everything guys, further reinforces the concept that all we can do is sit on a stool and twist knobs, as well as misses a lot of good opportunities for excellent patient care. It is not all about what is easy or convenient for us…

I would personally discuss with the orthopedic surgeon and add something to the consent about the inherent dangers of having a PT aggressively rehabilitate an insensate joint that is freshly post op.… some of them can get pretty aggressive.

I'm confused. Why can't you bill for the procedure visit? You're a doctor trained and credentialed in ultrasound guided nerve blocks right, doing an indicated procedure to help with pain?

This sounds like the orthopedist is pushing you to become a perioperative surgical home, providing post-operative analgesia and improving recovery with PT.

I'm really not trying to be offensive but are you an attending or student? Just because a physician thinks something is "indicated" does not ensure it will be reimbursed. I've seen surgeries get canceled with the patient sitting in pre op because approval was denied. Now why a surgeon would bring someone in without approval is beyond me.

The most likely way you'll get reimbursed is if you talk to the surgeon, have them bring the patient in for a shoulder manipulation, do a pre op block, then have the patient go to PT later that day. Am I understanding that the surgeon wants a block one week prior to PT? If so I still don't have any idea why you'd do that.

Sorry for the poor wording. Patient is 1 week out from rotator cuff repair, had an isb day of surgery and is coming in for the first PT session and still having significant pain and surgeon thinks she will be unable to perform adequate PT.

I'm really not trying to be offensive but are you an attending or student? Just because a physician thinks something is "indicated" does not ensure it will be reimbursed. I've seen surgeries get canceled with the patient sitting in pre op because approval was denied. Now why a surgeon would bring someone in without approval is beyond me.

The most likely way you'll get reimbursed is if you talk to the surgeon, have them bring the patient in for a shoulder manipulation, do a pre op block, then have the patient go to PT later that day. Am I understanding that the surgeon wants a block one week prior to PT? If so I still don't have any idea why you'd do that.

I'm really not trying to be offensive but are you an attending or student?

None taken. Attending but in an ivory tower setting so always a student I suppose?

Just because a physician thinks something is "indicated" does not ensure it will be reimbursed.
That's not a physician's thinking it's indicated, as in insurance and reimbursement indication is present for local anesthetic around a nerve to a painful area. Worst case scenario you bill a TPI.

I've seen surgeries get canceled with the patient sitting in pre op because approval was denied. Now why a surgeon would bring someone in without approval is beyond me.
**** happens, and not to be offensive, but you've worked in some crappy places if you've seen multiples of that.

I'm all about emptying a syringe and knob twisting, but in this scenario, there are a lot of indications for it. I'm not sure why you'd upcharge for a EUA when a simple block would do. The problem here really is if your only tool is an ISB, that's a higher risk procedure for the problem.

If we're talking shoulder surgery...personally...I would recommend a suprascapular here. Yes The shoulder is also innervated by the axillary nerve, and you are going to miss this whereas you would not with the ISB. However, I think on the whole you will still get excellent analgesia which is sufficient for rehabilitation, while avoiding the dangers as well as the profound motor loss of the ISB. (you will only lose the supra and infraspinatus.
The suprascap was my initial thought, but an axillary at the deltoid has some benefit too. There are some folks now that are trying radiofrequency ablation or cryoablation preoperatively prior to knee surgeries so that people can have preop/intraop/postop analgesia with minimal motor deficits. That's often a PA/NP/provider in an ortho clinic, as the mechanical aspects of these procedures aren't that challenging.

In this scenario, I have to applaud the OP for stepping outside their comfort zone and helping a patient out. Def not going to get rich and taking on some risk, but that surgeon and patient probably appreciated it. If the provider keeps asking and you aren't comfortable, maybe plug them in with a pain doc in the area that does pulsed RF or cryoablation, as that can be done a few weeks preoperatively, help with pre-hab and post-op PT. Better yet though, that's a sweet skill to have, and you could combine it as a PAT visit, a procedure visit, and avoid all this silliness with trying to bill in the usual anesthesia framework.

Now why a surgeon would bring someone in without approval is beyond me.

Sometimes things need to be done relatively urgently so the patient is scheduled before the insurance approval process is complete. Unfortunately, the patient gets hosed when the insurance companies jerk everyone around.

Sometimes things need to be done relatively urgently so the patient is scheduled before the insurance approval process is complete. Unfortunately, the patient gets hosed when the insurance companies jerk everyone around.
Yeah, I suppose on an urgent basis, but that's a recipe for disaster for everyone involved. If it's truly medically urgent there are pathways for expediting approval right? Ain't nothing that urgent or you'd be doing it regardless of approval.

Yeah, I suppose on an urgent basis, but that's a recipe for disaster for everyone involved. If it's truly medically urgent there are pathways for expediting approval right? Ain't nothing that urgent or you'd be doing it regardless of approval.

Fortunately I have nothing to do with the approval process. Urgency depends on who is defining it. Last time I had this scenario play out was in a patient with a kidney stone.

The only times I've seen it are for spine surgery. I don't feel I work at a "crappy" place but I do think it's crappy that the surgeon would bring a patient in without prior approval. In my seven years here I've seen it happen maybe 2-3 times.