Dating while in pharmacy school and after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apples2Oranges

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know SDN isn't the place for love advice, but I'm curious. Recently broke up with a boyfriend of nearly 2 years. I'm a PY2 in pharm school and he went to med school 45 min away. Everything was great until he got confused and didn't know how our future would be so we ended it. It was a "gut" feeling...whatever that means. Sucks a lot cause just less than month ago he wanted to make vacation plans after rotations. Heard from the grapevine he's still single, so he didn't leave for someone else. Oh well.

How's the dating scene like during school and after? Probably less than half my class are dating/engaged. I want to avoid people in the same class for obvious reasons. My pharm school is located next to a med and dental school, so i don't think there's a dating drought. And I'm 21, so I'm not in a huge rush to find someone to marry. If you're married or dating someone, how'd you find them? How'd you manage it throughout school? Or did you meet them somewhere else?

Out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Shouldn't be a problem if you are willing to put yourself out there... try online dating.

just download tindr or whatever is hot now and go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you look decent... A suitor will come up and swipe right to anyone that looks hot/has a good job in tinder/bumble. Profit!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I know SDN isn't the place for love advice, but I'm curious. Recently broke up with a boyfriend of nearly 2 years. I'm a PY1 (almost PY2) pharm school and he went to med school 45 min away. Everything was great until he got confused and didn't know how our future would be so we ended it. It was a "gut" feeling...whatever that means. Sucks a lot cause just less than month ago he wanted to make vacation plans after rotations. Heard from the grapevine he's still single, so he didn't leave for someone else. Oh well.

How's the dating scene like during school and after? Probably less than half my class are dating/engaged. I want to avoid people in the same class for obvious reasons. My pharm school is located next to a med and dental school, so i don't think there's a dating drought. And I'm 21, so I'm not in a huge rush to find someone to marry. If you're married or dating someone, how'd you find them? How'd you manage it throughout school? Or did you meet them somewhere else?

Out of curiosity.

Good time to focus on your studies.

Online dating is ez compared to the old fashioned way of asking family/friends if they know any singles close to your age or going to random parties praying to find a single

Reactions: 1 users
Where's SHC1984? She had awesome dating advice.

Don't worry about dating in pharmacy school, you won't have time for dating, or very minimal (if you are like me and need to see the person you are dating for multiple hours every day, then just embrace the single life) Your textbooks and lecture notes will be your new boyfriend for the next 4 years.

Reactions: 4 users
I know SDN isn't the place for love advice, but I'm curious. Recently broke up with a boyfriend of nearly 2 years. I'm a PY1 (almost PY2) pharm school and he went to med school 45 min away. Everything was great until he got confused and didn't know how our future would be so we ended it. It was a "gut" feeling...whatever that means. Sucks a lot cause just less than month ago he wanted to make vacation plans after rotations. Heard from the grapevine he's still single, so he didn't leave for someone else. Oh well.

Out of curiosity.

Look, if pharmacy school requires your life, you obviously are taking it too seriously. The study time is a significant part for someone responsible, but it is not so oppressive that you cannot make the time for your own personal life. Sure, you might not get the 4.0, but so long as you don't do horribly (2.2 will get me through, or C's and D's = PharmD in my generation), there is time enough for love. If casual sex is what you're look for, by all means, take the above advice with Tindr. Otherwise, okCupid or something. Because of the problems of just going up to people and asking, using technology helps break the ice.

I dated the same person (who was not in any health profession) throughout school who I would have married (it did not happen, but not for reasons that either of us had any control over and it was not drama). She was not terribly needy, and she had her own time considerations, but we made it work because we made it a point to schedule time together. It isn't terrifically romantic, but I did make it a point to set aside two particular times a week when I was hers. Church was what did it in my case, but this was the pre-eHarmony generation. She asked though, not me. The lady I married though was while I was in graduate school, and I was busier then than I was in pharmacy school.

If I were to find someone now (although I am happily married), I would gleefully corrupt my willing unmarried colleague in Nursing, er, I mean, use one of those dating programs to break the ice. There are instances that you would know you would be off the market instantly should you find yourself single, if not, it's the thrill and despondence of finding new people.

Out of curiosity.

The best time to meet someone, who is compatible, is in college so don't miss this opportunity.

I think when you get older, you become more realistic. Money starts to matter more. So when you hit it "big", you are going to have more opportunities but that person may not like you for you....get what I am saying? That is why it is important to meet someone who is at your current level and shares similar goals and values.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
Just watch out for gold diggers (because the general population thinks pharmacists are rich) & potential drug addicts/sellers. Not worth it to lose your license over emotions. Knew of a former RPh Who's career was ended from this

If you are all for "imprisoning" yourself with a long term relationship/marriage you will be severely limited on options for choosing a work setting. The 90s were totally different at least for retail as there was plenty of flexibility getting full time wherever you go; this is far from true now though.

people gold dig for pharmacists? :wow: can barely handle my debt.

Reactions: 2 users
The best time to meet someone, who is compatible, is in college so don't miss this opportunity.

I think when you get older, you become more realistic. Money starts to matter more. So when you hit it "big", you are going to have more opportunities but that person may not like you for you....get what I am saying? That is why it is important to meet someone who is at your current level and shares similar goals and values.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Agree with this. Dating as a pharmacist sucks. You want someone who is also a professional and that you won't have to play sugar daddy/momma for, and such people are mostly taken by the time you are in your late 20s, or aren't interested in having a relationship, ever.

Out of curiosity.
Same case as you. And I know a lot of people break up during 1st year of Pharm school, 3 of my friends did. Mine LDR was 6 hours apart, we're both in pharm school. Although my school has dental and med schools, we never get a chance to meet them.
Stay strong and push through first year then you have a whole summer to think about dating LOL that's what my friend told me.
I would like to know how people meet and manage relationship during pharm school as well.

I saw quite a few examples of bond-pairing in pharmacy school. You just have to fit it in your life. If married students can "raise" their family while in medical school and residency and keep their relationship intact (I cannot imagine this is easy to understate things), dating while a pharmacy student should be manageable. Personally I can't stand the idea of dating or marrying a pharmacist

Sucks cause I went through PY1 dating the guy and now everyone in my class is on their own...either dating or getting engaged. Just got a wedding invite a few days ago for a girl in my class, and I'm allowed to have a plus one. +pity+ Single pringle amirite?

I have met way too many people who think a $15 brunch, or even a $6 uber, is too expensive...Maybe that's just because I live in a poor and high-crime city.

Nah. I'm not even out of pharm school yet and some friends are already telling me to stop being cheap cause I'm going to make more money than them when I graduate. A $15 meal for me is a luxury I can only afford with my loans. :smack: Little do they know imma be broke for the next decade.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah. I'm not even out of pharm school yet and some friends are already telling me to stop being cheap cause I'm going to make more money than them when I graduate.

I have met way too many people who think a $15 brunch, or even a $6 uber, is too expensive...Maybe that's just because I live in a poor and high-crime city.

Yup, pretty much...also if you're a complainer, you'll quickly find that no one cares about your problems. People probably didn't care that much before, but NOBODY cares about a rich persons problems. It makes sense why all the lottery winners feel alienated from all their friends. However for us, we got all the rich people problems but none of the benefits of actually being rich, a stigma that continues even after they catch up in pay...

people gold dig for pharmacists? :wow: can barely handle my debt.

Many girls from my home time have hit me up just because they found out I was going to the pharmacy school. For some reason, they thought I was making money now even though I am a lowly PY2 LOL