Dating classmates in dental school, awkward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait until you actually meet these people to judge their actual level of attractiveness and personality. Plus add 2-4 years of school on their belt and watch many plummet to overweight annoying wenches. Let them have the lame med students, its win win.

Thats true. Both would have BMIs of at least 30s. So it's at least fair.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Med students will be on their 36 hours shift for most of the marriage/ relationship xD.

While a lot would deny it, you make yourself more attractive by having less time for girls. It conveys the message that "you are not that important and i am ambitious and busy with my career."

Many girls love this attitude even if being able to spend more time with them is much better for them.

While a lot would deny it, you make yourself more attractive by having less time for girls. It conveys the message that "you are not that important and i am ambitious and busy with my career."

Many girls love this attitude even if being able to spend more time with them is much better for them.

If that was the case, Japan wouldn't have that negative birthrate thing going on. Instead, salarymen working 60+ hrs per week (like some med specialties) are not the pinnacle of attractiveness. Workaholics are never attractive (unless you like gold diggers who want money instead of quality time with one another). Also I would have a Gf during the summer I was studying for the DAT instead of being sad and lonely.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Oh yeah?! What if your girlfriend/wife is a MD student... sorry buddy, she doesn't have time for you. How does that feel lol

Reactions: 1 user
If that was the case, Japan wouldn't have that negative birthrate thing going on. Instead, salarymen working 60+ hrs per week (like some med specialties) are not the pinnacle of attractiveness. Workaholics are never attractive (unless you like gold diggers who want money instead of quality time with one another). Also I would have a Gf during the summer I was studying for the DAT instead of being sad and lonely.
Hahaha "unless you are a gold digger"... isn't that why they prefer med students...

Well thats working a lot without money or status.. so they cannot afford kids. And handful of women in Japan marry guys who are 20 years older because they are more established and let girls to be housewives and do lots of shopping

Working a lot + money + status + attitude combination is the key.

Oh yeah?! What if your girlfriend/wife is a MD student... sorry buddy, she doesn't have time for you. How does that feel lol

I dont like med students in general but i would just meet multiple simultaneously so that i have enough girl time lol jkjk

Well thats working a lot without money or status.. so they cannot afford kids. And handful of women in Japan marry guys who are 20 years older because they are more established and let girls to be housewives and do lots of shopping

Dude... if you have money, you don't need a white coat to attract the people who "prefer med students"

Dude... if you have money, you don't need a white coat to attract the people who "prefer med students"

That's true. Not a lot of ivy, high class people go to health professional schools. They go to wall street or silicon valley. And girls who chase them are way beyond attractive. Ex) Jarod Kushner

Health professional schools are for upper middle to working class children wanting to climb up the social ladder and have high paying careers than their parents.

Reactions: 3 users

"While a lot would deny it, you make yourself more attractive by having less time for girls. It conveys the message that "you are not that important and i am ambitious and busy with my career."

Many girls love this attitude even if being able to spend more time with them is much better for them."
Was refuting this statement you made. You just added random stuff to it after my point was made to continue the argument. But I feel like you would really enjoy r9k on 4chan if you know what that is. Unless you're being ironic about the "girls only want money" thing.

That's true. Not a lot of ivy, high class people go to health professional schools. They go to wall street or silicon valley. And girls who chase them are way beyond attractive. Ex) Jarod Kushner

Health professional schools are for upper middle to working class children wanting to climb up the social ladder and have high paying careers than their parents.

I mostly wanted money and working less than 40 hours per week T_T. Also not working under people like in corporate (read: wall street, silicon valley, in a hospital, as an engineer, etc).

"While a lot would deny it, you make yourself more attractive by having less time for girls. It conveys the message that "you are not that important and i am ambitious and busy with my career."

Many girls love this attitude even if being able to spend more time with them is much better for them."
Was refuting this statement you made. You just added random stuff to it after my point was made to continue the argument. But I feel like you would really enjoy r9k on 4chan if you know what that is. Unless you're being ironic about the "girls only want money" thing.

?? I dont know what they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are 500k+ in debt. Marriage should be the last thing on your mind.

I know a guy who went to NYU and his parents paid for it all. And he drove a bmw and dated beautiful girls who go to Parson, FIT and SVA and they go to Armani ristorante for date. Costs $80 per person. Not that expensive in nyc level

I know a guy who went to NYU and his parents paid for it all. And he drove a bmw and dated beautiful girls who go to Parson, FIT and SVA and they go to Armani ristorante for date. Costs $80 per person. Not that expensive in nyc level

My parents won't pay for my school...

I think people are missing the point... you want to make enough money so that even if your partner doesn't work, it's more than enough. Although it's nice to have two incomes, why force yourself in that position. If you work too much to achieve this, then personal life suffers. Best to find someone who can help you out, someone who is not needy on time, and understanding of the bigger picture. However, there should be work and life balance. Children are a double edged sword, many people strive for kids, but can hinder professional success. If you can, avoid having kids too early, make as much as you can, then you'll be free to do what you want with minimal financial pressures on your personal life.

Reactions: 6 users
He's right though. This way they can tell their parents they're marrying a REAL doctor.

Big Hoss
In a way it's a double edged sword. On the one hand yea you're a bit less respected than an MD, but on the other, students with parents that forced them to study since they were really little won't be pursuing dentistry at nearly as high a rate. The smartest (as of now) still pursue med, whether it be for altruistic reasons, respect, or parental pressures. This makes the competition smaller in dental school as a result and also usually leaves the student body slightly less uptight and high strung.

In a way it's a double edged sword. On the one hand yea you're a bit less respected than an MD, but on the other, students with parents that forced them to study since they were really little won't be pursuing dentistry at nearly as high a rate. The smartest (as of now) still pursue med, whether it be for altruistic reasons, respect, or parental pressures. This makes the competition smaller in dental school as a result and also usually leaves the student body slightly less uptight and high strung.

And yet the vast majority wanna do derm, opto, and rad. The most similar specialities to dental specialities in terms of life style.

Most cannot make it and have to settle with intense, depressing lives like internal medicine and general surgery and their bosses in the hospitals only have bachelor in business.

I personally think that if one is smart enough to get into derm, one should donate their talents to the society and dedicate his or her life bringing innovations and scientific discoveries and write textbooks..

Last edited:
And yet the vast majority wanna go for derm, opto, and rad. The most similar specialities to dental specialities in terms of life style.

Most cannot make it and have to settle with intense, depressing lives like internal medicine and general surgery and their bosses in the hospitals only have bachelor in business.

I personally think that if one is smart enough to get into derm, one should donate their talents to the society and dedicate his or her life bringing innovations and scientific discoveries and write textbooks..

LOL that's why I didn't pick med. And in terms of lifestyle and pay (if you're private practice anyway), I think OMFS still beats those others. And being top of the class at med is harder than dent (based on statistics alone). Knock on wood though seeing as we aren't OMFS yet.

Something that confuses me though- you originally gave off the impression of "I wanna bridge gap between dental health and other stuff, working in academia, etc." but the way you are talking now seems like you're thinking of money or more superficial things. What is the true 18thstreetPUA?

I personally think that if one is smart enough to get into derm, one should donate their talents to the society and dedicate his or her life bringing innovations and scientific discoveries and write textbooks.
Since sanitation workers do more to protect our health than all of modern medicine, I personally think our best and brightest should dedicate their lives to becoming the greatest garbagemen the world has ever known.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 9 users
Since sanitation workers do more to protect our health than all of modern medicine, I personally think our best and brightest should dedicate their lives to becoming the greatest garbagemen the world has ever known.

Big Hoss

Last edited:

Big Hoss
Honestly there will always be a best and brightest dedicating their lives doing good things. I feel like 99.999999% of people are really easily replaceable. When I was between med and dent, I was like wait if I do med maybe I could save a life or something. But then I thought, if I don't save someone's life, someone else will. There are thousands of doctors graduating every year, hundreds of thousands of researchers trying to better humanity. We're all drops in a bucket. I still like the service aspect of dental (as far as I know since I'm not even a dentist yet), but I think trying to save the world is really low on my priority list. Also seeing how jaded doctors become, I realized even saving a life can become routine.

Honestly there will always be a best and brightest dedicating their lives doing good things. I feel like 99.999999% of people are really easily replaceable. When I was between med and dent, I was like wait if I do med maybe I could save a life or something. But then I thought, if I don't save someone's life, someone else will. There are thousands of doctors graduating every year, hundreds of thousands of researchers trying to better humanity. We're all drops in a bucket. I still like the service aspect of dental (as far as I know since I'm not even a dentist yet), but I think trying to save the world is really low on my priority list. Also seeing how jaded doctors become, I realized even saving a life can become routine.
If you don't prep the tooth, someone else will. Do pharmacy and thank me later lol :p

If you don't prep the tooth, someone else will. Do pharmacy and thank me later lol :p
In pharmacy's case, it's even if you want to do something, someone else will due to the saturation lol. Though dental probably isn't in a great direction either in that sense.

Something that confuses me though- you originally gave off the impression of "I wanna bridge gap between dental health and other stuff, working in academia, etc." but the way you are talking now seems like you're thinking of money or more superficial things. What is the true 18thstreetPUA?

Oh my bad. I want to bridge the gap between science and dental medicine. In this thread, I was only talking about my observation of others. Just joking around too. haha

This thread made my day.

What do you mean the smartest
This is really insulting to all other majors and specialties.

True. I'd say the smartest person around is the guy who was accepted to medical school, turned it down because he realized he didn't want a job that's all consuming (there's so much more to life), and became Big Hoss®.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 14 users
True. I'd say the smartest person around is the guy who was accepted to medical school, turned it down because he realized he didn't want a job that's all consuming (there's so much more to life), and became Big Hoss®.

Big Hoss
What a legend, this made my day lmfao

Doesn't mean anything. Many people can easily make med school but they choose not to.... take me for an example ;)

Medin2017 you must slow your roll. I think the point is that people go into medicine and any health care profession for many reasons, including stupid reasons such as parental pressures, a self-indulging image of prestige, ect. There are obviously the myriad of others that exist that people choose as well. As far as saying the "smartest" go into medicine, it depends how one looks at "smarts" and what they judge is a smart decision and is not. For example, someone who chooses medicine due strictly to parental pressures, even if they did well in school to get them there, is not very "smart" in my book. They simply allow their parents to run their life, which to me is not a smart life decision, one I especially would fair to judge more critically then ones ability to score well on a cardiology exam. On another note, many people in dentistry and the associated specialties are pretty "smart" academically and could have very well gone into medicine but decided (as I also did at one time) that this is just a horrible decision based off a million other reasons. Now that Ive done both med and dental school, Im so glad Im in OMFS. There is no doubt I could have gone to med school before dental school, and many of my dental classmates Im sure could have done the same. Having done both med and dental school, Ive met pretty equally leveled academically talented individuals from both a qualitative and quantitative academic and clinical standpoint. The illusion that medicine harbors the "smartest" individuals within the health profession field is a sad yet realistic view of the world we live in. Because god forbid you or anyone comes into the hospital with a panfacial fracture and my inferior dentist brain and hands are the only help there to make you all pretty again.

Reactions: 6 users
But was there a pulpal exposure?!

Big Hoss

My first concern of course. "I don't care his hematoma is obstructing the airway, #7 is a critical tooth that must be dealt with STAT."

Medin2017 you must slow your roll. I think the point is that people go into medicine and any health care profession for many reasons, including stupid reasons such as parental pressures, a self-indulging image of prestige, ect. There are obviously the myriad of others that exist that people choose as well. As far as saying the "smartest" go into medicine, it depends how one looks at "smarts" and what they judge is a smart decision and is not. For example, someone who chooses medicine due strictly to parental pressures, even if they did well in school to get them there, is not very "smart" in my book. They simply allow their parents to run their life, which to me is not a smart life decision, one I especially would fair to judge more critically then ones ability to score well on a cardiology exam. On another note, many people in dentistry and the associated specialties are pretty "smart" academically and could have very well gone into medicine but decided (as I also did at one time) that this is just a horrible decision based off a million other reasons. Now that Ive done both med and dental school, Im so glad Im in OMFS. There is no doubt I could have gone to med school before dental school, and many of my dental classmates Im sure could have done the same. Having done both med and dental school, Ive met pretty equally leveled academically talented individuals from both a qualitative and quantitative academic and clinical standpoint. The illusion that medicine harbors the "smartest" individuals within the health profession field is a sad yet realistic view of the world we live in. Because god forbid you or anyone comes into the hospital with a panfacial fracture and my inferior dentist brain and hands are the only help there to make you all pretty again.
Yea not arguing that there are plenty who can do both. But are we really gonna argue that the top dental student is smarter than the 17 year old who got into then graduated from *mount sinai medical school? Like I know there are geniuses in dental but my assertion is likely true because 1) more people overall pursue medicine than dentistry. It's a lot less likely there's gonna be smarter people at the top. 2) People with goals of being "top" or saving humanity are likelier to go into medicine than dentistry. I still can't believe people are so taken aback I never said dental people are dumb. Just that if you took the top 10 medical students or doctors in the world vs the top 10 dental ones, it's a lot more likely that the medical ones would have a larger number smarter than the dental ones.
Ignore it. There are 3rd generation omfs and orthos that are worth 100's of millions. Those people are as smart as any in med.
Not arguing that dentists are poorer than doctors.

Guys I'm saying the TOP as in like the top 10 people in their respective fields, or even top 100 or top 1000 out of the 200,000 dentists or 1 million doctors. I'm not saying that a dude cruising in the top 5 of a dental school can't land dermatology or be highly ranked in a medical school class.

Nobody knows what you mean by smarter or "top", that is the point. Plus nobody cares.

I've said my piece, not going to argue since it is just a waste of everyones time. this is the internet, Im just writing stuff.

Nobody knows what you mean by smarter or "top", that is the point. Plus nobody cares.
If nobody cares they can feel free to stop commenting on the post. No need to get flustered over something that doesn't matter, whether it is true or not.

oh and I meant "smart" academically only. As in a robot who can regurgitate and apply the most facts. Didn't say it was a smart choice to pursue one or the other.

Im glad we settled. Now, back to the main point of this thread, don't date classmates if you can score elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea at the d school I went to, a student that interviewed me during lunch who was going into OMFS said not to date anyone in d school. An omfs resident from my school said the same thing. And killacam said he's doing omfs and also said no go to dating classmates. Guess the single life will still be for me

My first concern of course. "I don't care his hematoma is obstructing the airway, #7 is a critical tooth that must be dealt with STAT."
Especially if that #7 is now lodged in the trauma patient's brain stem. That, my friend, will take more than Dycal and Vitrebond and is officially beyond the scope of my practice. Yes, yes it's true. I do have my limitations, which is why I appreciate my OMFSs. That, and I really hate taking out bony impacted thirds. I swear my dainty hands aren't meant for a Hall handpiece.

Big Hoss

Do not mistake IQ for EQ.
Definitely. And I don't even mean barebone IQ when comparing top students. I think we can all agree you're likely to find someone studying 24/7 in a medical school than a dental one (based on how predents were vs premeds at my undergrad anyway as well as people from highschool).

Definitely. And I don't even mean barebone IQ when comparing top students. I think we can all agree you're likely to find someone studying 24/7 in a medical school than a dental one (based on how predents were vs premeds at my undergrad anyway as well as people from highschool).
I was nodding all along till I got to the highschool part. I skipped 42 days in my last year at highschool. The amount of times I went to the dean's office because of it. Good memories, still graduated in 3 years though. Studying 24/7 doesn't mean anything. I know lots of people who study a lot but they always will be B students... bit off topic.

I was nodding all along till I got to the highschool part. I skipped 42 days in my last year at highschool. The amount of times I went to the dean's office because of it. Good memories, still graduated in 3 years though. Studying 24/7 doesn't mean anything. I know lots of people who study a lot but they always will be B students... bit off topic.
I think you interpreted me saying those who study 24/7 were smart or something like that. I was saying not only IQ, but masochistic levels of hard work is something you might be more likely to find in a medical school than a dental one (a fair assumption imo). In terms of acing a class solely based on memorization, that can't hurt. I came from a hs where the highly ranked students who pursued a health field all ended up in a top 10 medical school. Some of them would go home as soon as school ended, and studied the whole night. Not everyone who was highly ranked did this, but I know a few that ended up doing med. Just that neurotic nature that I haven't seen among my predental friends.

This masochistic work ethic would be less likely to occur in dent because let's face it: Lifestyle is a major attractive part of dentistry, so a good chunk of students who know they are doing general dent will not push as hard as med students where everyone has to take the step, and even if not pursuing a competitive specialty, there are still ranges in program quality (some ped programs have higher step scores than more competitive specialties).

And I am by no means throwing shade on dental students or dentists. I agree that you can probably have a much easier life with similar income doing dental than med and I feel it's a smart choice to pursue dental for that reason. I also agree that in my dental school, it's likely there are gonna be people smarter than me. Finally, I also agree that most dental students can enter medical school if they so desired. So yes, let's get back to the "don't date fellow students" convo.