Dating classmates in dental school, awkward?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a current D2 that my school's dental program has a strict "no dating" policy that could result in a write-up, which he says students break anyway. However, "cross dating" is allowed among different programs e.g. hygiene, PA, nursing, DO, etc.

I've had my fair share of dating coworkers in the past, and I can see why the school would enforce this, obviously out of training us to be professionals aka DENTISTS, not to mention preventing poop from hitting the fan with drama, but considering that the 70 or so of us will be spending at least 8 hours a day every day in close proximity, isn't it unrealistic to expect that NONE of us will end being romantic interested in one another? That's like standing out in the sun and not expecting to get tan or sunburn.

In any case, I'd personally just go with the flow and focus on my dental school studies and not attract any attention. Also, I'm surprised that my soon-to-be new city is full of beautiful women, surprisingly more so than my current city, not to mention that there's 2 state schools nearby my dental school, so I know what I'll be doing on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, assuming no midterms/projects/labs on those days.

So what do you guys think about this whole no-dating enforcement? Does your school have a "no dating classmates" policy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I can see the reasoning behind that...but come the **** on. you guys are adults and unless the school is loma linda it should have no business interfering with your personal life. I would look into rather this is a real policy. seems too crazy to be real.

that said. it is pretty easy to fly under the radar.

Reactions: 10 users
Multiple people from my school married each other during the course of dental school. I say they are messing around with fate by enforcing that. But really, what kind of policy is that? It's none of their business in my opinion.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by a current D2 that my school's dental program has a strict "no dating" policy that could result in a write-up, which he says students break anyway. However, "cross dating" is allowed among different programs e.g. hygiene, PA, nursing, DO, etc.

I've had my fair share of dating coworkers in the past, and I can see why the school would enforce this, obviously out of training us to be professionals aka DENTISTS, not to mention preventing poop from hitting the fan with drama, but considering that the 70 or so of us will be spending at least 8 hours a day every day in close proximity, isn't it unrealistic to expect that NONE of us will end being romantic interested in one another? That's like standing out in the sun and not expecting to get tan or sunburn.

In any case, I'd personally just go with the flow and focus on my dental school studies and not attract any attention. Also, I'm surprised that my soon-to-be new city is full of beautiful women, surprisingly more so than my current city, not to mention that there's 2 state schools nearby my dental school, so I know what I'll be doing on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, assuming no midterms/projects/labs on those days.

So what do you guys think about this whole no-dating enforcement? Does your school have a "no dating classmates" policy?
We don't have a formal no dating policy but many classmates steer clear from dating someone in the same class for the reasons you stated earlier. Most people that are in my class were already married or in a serious LTR before school started. A no dating classmates policy would be kind of silly though IMO

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if there's even enough time to maintain a relationship? Especially if you're going for top 10% of your class.

You could always put a picture of yourself in a white coat on tinder and then profit?

Reactions: 6 users
Hahaa this thread is great so far. Coming out of dental school with a DMD and a wife is ideal imo.

To future wife: YAY, WE CAN SHARE $1,000,000 OF DEBT TOGETHER!!!

I had this discussion in an earlier thread--getting casual dates with strangers/acquaintances isn't a problem, it's unexpectedly falling heads over heels with a classmate that's forbidden by school rules that's gonna be the problem.
Together is the keyword lol.

I had this discussion in an earlier thread--getting casual dates with strangers/acquaintances isn't a problem, it's unexpectedly falling heads over heels with a classmate that's forbidden by school rules that's gonna be the problem.
Don't they know that by making it forbidden that they are indirectly encouraging it? It's the forbidden fruit syndrome. You don't want it until you can't have it. You'll probably fall for one of your classmates just because of this now.

Reactions: 3 users
To future wife: YAY, WE CAN SHARE $1,000,000 OF DEBT TOGETHER!!!

Yea but imagine if the future spouse has more debt than you do. Like those navy ppl marrying some civilian dentist and taking on their debt even though they chose the navy route to avoid that

Yea but imagine if the future spouse has more debt than you do. Like those navy ppl marrying some civilian dentist and taking on their debt even though they chose the navy route to avoid that
Would do anything for the "mon amour" :p... all jokes aside, if you meet someone and you fall in love with them, who's gonna care about debt.

Would do anything for the "mon amour" :p... all jokes aside, if you meet someone and you fall in love with them, who's gonna care about debt.
That's true. In some people's cases, their parents are fronting their d school costs though so I'm sure the parents wouldn't like it haha.

That's what I did... I had the NHSC scholarship and so have little to no debt and married a pharmacy student and took on all of her debt. Good thing she doesn't have nearly as much as if she were a dental student.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I did... I had the NHSC scholarship and so have little to no debt and married a pharmacy student and took on all of her debt. Good thing she doesn't have nearly as much as if she were a dental student.
Yea I imagine the larger the gap between debts or lack thereof, the bigger a deal. I'm sure USC or NYU folk who have their parents paying for them or are on scholarships don't wanna play with that

If you go to NYU, USC, UOP... you should never think about marriage lol

It's a good way to relieve some stress at the end of the night if y'all know what I mean ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Do I have to deal with other students for 8 hours of my life every day wearing a scrub!
:hungover::eyebrow::eek::(:nailbiting::uhno:

No dating is a good call!

dating a fellow classmate? ehhh...

in sickness in health... til debt do us part?

Reactions: 13 users
If she's richer than me, debt-free, and willing to pay for my dental school, then yes :greedy::greedy::greedy:

Yeah and then it's incredibly unlikely because on average, internationally, women marry at or above their own pay grade.

Depends on who makes more doesn't it? Like if a divorce results in a 50% split in wages or whatever it was

Yeah, and even prenups get thrown out in divorce courts if the guy was smart enough to cover his bases. The term "divorce rape" exists because of how slanted divorce and family courts are toward favoring women and screwing over men. Casual dating and surrogate mothers are the way to go. Cristiano Ronaldo is a really smart guy in this day and age.

Arent most people who were top in the class were single at least during first two years?

I couldn't imagine dating someone during dental school... The work load, and the added responsibility of maintaining a healthy relationship... Ughhhhh. Let alone if your significant other was in dental school and has a crap ton of debt as well.... I guess it may be nice to releive some stress, but it just seems like a bad choice... At least in my opinion :D

-Fyz

Arent most people who were top in the class were single at least during first two years?

dunno how ppl would find data on that, but I bet there's a mix of people who feel they can't get a partner without grades plummeting and others who feel they can stay at the top (and pursue research and do all the other things) with a spouse. Just like a top kid at MIT might still have time for league of legends while another student with similar grades feels it's not worth the risk of loss of time. Probably occurs anywhere in life really (e.g. a CEO with time for a family vs one who thinks time spent with family is not worth loss of time from work, a neurosurgeon resident with a family, etc.).

I'm probably gonna be single during my 1st 2 years since I don't wanna risk grades dropping or getting distracted. (also b/c your boy's pullgame is weak af).

Reactions: 2 users
dunno how ppl would find data on that, but I bet there's a mix of people who feel they can't get a partner without grades plummeting and others who feel they can stay at the top (and pursue research and do all the other things) with a spouse. Just like a top kid at MIT might still have time for league of legends while another student with similar grades feels it's not worth the risk of loss of time. Probably occurs anywhere in life really (e.g. a CEO with time for a family vs one who thinks time spent with family is not worth loss of time from work, a neurosurgeon resident with a family, etc.).

I'm probably gonna be single during my 1st 2 years since I don't wanna risk grades dropping or getting distracted. (also b/c your boy's pullgame is weak af).
Watch him be married and have 3 kids by the end of D2.

I don't know... I bet the white coat could get you pretty far.

I thought this only applies to medicine.
Even phd students who probably do not have stats to get into dental school prefer medical student..

Even if this medical student is only good enough for family medicine while you are good enough to do ortho..

Our dental school status only helps when meeting predental girls.

Last edited:
Even phd students who probably do not have stats to get into dental school prefer medical student..

Even if this medical student is only good enough for family medicine while you are good enough to do ortho..

I don't know haha I'm just joking around. I had a feeling SDNers would end up analyzing tinder dynamics...

Reactions: 5 users
a lab coat will do the job. Just make sure its clean.

If people can raise their kids while in dental school, then school being too busy is not an excuse for not dating.

If you want more time to yourself, then don't date. If you want to date, you will find the time. Simple as that.

May be true. I usually say let med students have some more status while we work 10-30 less hours per week while making the same. Seems to be a worthy trade if you ask me.

Don't forget prelaw too lol

The general dentist I shadowed and worked for the past 3 years, married her professor in dental school after graduation. As long as you keep the dating scene on the DL, I don't see the point of "no dating" policy.

The general dentist I shadowed and worked for the past 3 years, married her professor in dental school after graduation. As long as you keep the dating scene on the DL, I don't see the point of "no dating" policy.
Taking it to the next level.

Most girls in my class were bat**** crazy... I swore never to date a dentist after that.

Preach it. The only level headed ones were already taken, go figure.

Wait why? I have not met them but based on their fb profiles, they look like they could be models. Very fit, down to earth, and have done cheerleading before. And prefer med students.

Wait why? I have not met them but based on their fb profiles, they look like they could be models. Very fit, down to earth, and have done cheerleading before. And prefer med students.

Lol 18thstreetpua always tries to sneak in a med>dent remark. Let's see if anyone bites the bait this time around

Wait until you actually meet these people to judge their actual level of attractiveness and personality. Plus add 2-4 years of school on their belt and watch many plummet to overweight annoying wenches. Let them have the lame med students, its win win.

Med students will be on their 36 hours shift for most of the marriage/ relationship xD.

I've been with my girlfriend for 4 years and met her in dental school. Thankfully we started dating after "most" of the hard classes in the curriculum were over with, so the rest was mostly clinic. She was a year above me (same age, though), and helped me out because she had left-over patients/treatments when she graduated and handed them over to me.

I think dental relationships can work out perfectly if you each have your own separate interests and personality types don't conflict (for example, she loves kids/pediatric dental; I avoid them at all costs and prefer doing other type of work (that she avoids at all costs), it kind of equals out.

There was also a professor at my school (periodontist) who is married to a faculty prosthodontist and they seem really happy.. in a way, each person brings something different to the table