DAT Breakdown! (AA 23, PAT 23) :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentopix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DAT Breakdown

RC 24

BIO 23

GC 22

TS 22

AA 23

PAT 23​

I studied a total of 4 months (2 months in the summer ~6-8 hours per day, 2 months in the Fall and balanced with school ~1-4 hours/day depending on my uni workload).

For RC, I used Search & Destroy, with a little bit of passage mapping.

TL,DR:

Best, must have resource for each section:

PAT – DATGenius (DG) for learning technique and practice) DAT Bootcamp (DB) for practice

BIO – Feralis notes, DG

GC – Chad’s videos (for learning), DB & DG for practice

RC – DG, DB, Kaplan DAT prep text book practice tests​

Resources Used:

Chad’s Videos 10/10

This is the best resource out there for someone like me who hasn’t taken Gen Chem in awhile. The videos are a great tool to learn to nearly all the concepts on the cDAT! Chad is amazing, I found his explanations very clear. I watched and took thorough notes on all of the videos – this was the first thing I did in my GC studying. After that, I re-listened to all of the videos on 1.5x speed. I would definitely recommend this resource to everyone!

Cliffs AP Biology 8.5/10

Great way to break into your Bio studying! This was my starting point, and it was pretty thorough. I didn’t think the reproduction or human physiology sections were great though. I read through this book 2x before moving on to Feralis notes. The laboratory section at the end of Cliff’s is pretty useless; I didn’t really look at it much.

Feralis Notes 10/10

Fantastic bio resource! Read it over 2x. These notes have nearly everything that was in Cliffs (so if pressed for time, skip Cliffs and just read this), but goes much more in depth into human physiology and reproduction. This was my main Bio studying resource. It is a great aggregate of all the high yield info you might encounter on the cDAT.

DATgenius 10/10

BIO – DAT Genius BIO WAS AMAZING! There are more hard questions in the practice tests than you’ll see on the real thing, but the explanations were amazing. What’s really valuable here is that they explain more than just the answer – they go into related concepts. Don’t look at the BIO section as just a practice test, it’s a study tool like Feralis or Cliffs. I went through all the bio practice tests 2x.

GC – very good as well, similar level of difficulty to the actual DAT and the explanations were really great. One gripe is that each DG GC test seemed to have one very difficult question that I got too occupied with for time.

PAT – Harder than the actual DAT, but the explanations are incredible! This was my main study resource for learning how to do PAT, starting with no background knowledge on PAT – the explanations actually teach you how to think and approach PAT. Also, make sure to use the DG boulder practice questions, there were a TON of them on the cDAT this year.

RC – Good practice tests, pretty similar to what I saw on the actual DAT and same level of difficulty. However, I was more pressed for time on these practice tests than I was on the actual DAT.

DATbootcamp 9.5/10

PAT – I found the DB PAT tests really helpful, very good practice for the actual DAT overall. However, the KH section was just insane for all of the practice tests. I was getting crazy low scores on KH (7/15 sometimes), the differences between the shapes are way too minor. I would always write the DB practice tests starting at TFE end ending with KH, because if I started with KH I would often not finish because I spent way too much time trying to figure out the insignificant differences. The other sections of PAT were great for practice.

BIO – DB was great for practicing bio. The tests seemed very representative. DB is a good resource to practice bio and gauge how prepared you are for the actual DAT. I usually scored between 23-25 on DB bio.

GC – very good, similar level of difficulty to the actual DAT. Again, my main complaint with DB is that the explanations were only OK. If I was confused about a concept I would usually need to look beyond the solutions to clarify it for myself.

RC – This is my biggest issue with DB as a product. The RC practice tests were not helpful AT ALL, at least for my experience studying for the Canadian DAT.

Do NOT be discouraged if you find it hard to finish DB reading comp or get low scores on them! I always struggled to finish (but keep in mind that I printed out the tests and only gave myself 50 mins for them), and never got higher than a 19 (and I got 16 many times). I almost feel that the RC is too discouraging and different from what you will actually see on the cDAT to be useful. I stopped writing them after doing 3 of the practice tests, I just didn’t think it was helpful at all and only brought down my confidence. RC (24) was my strongest section, so obviously DB RC was not at all indicative of the difficulty on the actual cDAT (keep in mind the American DAT may be different)

DAT Destroyer 8.5/10

I mainly used DAT Destroyer to study for GC. I worked through every GC problem, and found it to be good practice material overall, and the solutions are pretty good. The GC questions in destroyer are much less representative of the topics and difficulty seen in the actual DAT, DG and DB tests were better in my opinion for this reason. What’s good about destroyer is the volume of questions to do, which exposes you to a lot.

I worked through half of the BIO questions in Destroyer, and I did not think that they were very representative of the actual DAT. Some of the questions are very random, and most of the topics it covered that were representative I had already seen in other study materials. If you have the luxury of time, its worthwhile as anything could come up. However, they have questions on the specifics of Ebola which does seem low yield.

Overall, if you are limited on funds, I would say skip Destroyer, because DG and DB are better practical resources. That being said, I am pleased with the amount of GC practice I got from Destroyer, so if you do have the money to spend I do think it has value and will help you score better on GC.

Overall: Super happy to be done with this thing and onto the next stage. Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT breakdown (AA23, PAT 23).jpg
    DAT breakdown (AA23, PAT 23).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations!! I'm taking my DAT in Feb 1st and kinda worried!
Can you please share your scores for the practice exams for DAT Genius and DATBootcamp!
I still haven't finished the DATBootcamp exams, I'm thinking of finishing them during these two weeks and also purchase the DG and try to go through as many of them! I just did my first RC on Bootcamp and it said I got lower than 15 and I'm so nervous right now

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! I'm taking my DAT in Feb 1st and kinda worried!
Can you please share your scores for the practice exams for DAT Genius and DATBootcamp!
I still haven't finished the DATBootcamp exams, I'm thinking of finishing them during these two weeks and also purchase the DG and try to go through as many of them! I just did my first RC on Bootcamp and it said I got lower than 15 and I'm so nervous right now
Thank you!

Unfortunately I didn't keep track of my exact scores for DG and DB, but I remember the ranges :) Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the RC tests in DB. I consistently scored around 16-17 and I had a lot of trouble finishing them, but it ended up being my best section on the actual DAT.

Bootcamp Scores:
BIO: 22-25
GC: 19-23
RC: 16-18
PAT: 19-21

Genius Scores:
BIO: 22-26
GC: 19-24
RC: 18-21
PAT: 19-22

nfortunately I didn't keep track of my exact scores for DG and DB, but I remember the ranges :) Also, I wouldn't worry too much about the RC tests in DB. I consistently scored around 16-17 and I had a lot of trouble finishing them, but it ended up being my best section on the actual DAT.
Thank you!

Amazing scores, solid across the board, congrats. What do you mean by 'boulder' questions?

DAT Breakdown

RC 24

BIO 23

GC 22

TS 22

AA 23

PAT 23​

I studied a total of 4 months (2 months in the summer ~6-8 hours per day, 2 months in the Fall and balanced with school ~1-4 hours/day depending on my uni workload).

TL,DR:

PAT – DATGenius (DG) for learning technique and practice) DAT Bootcamp (DB) for practice

BIO – Feralis notes, DG

Resources Used:

Chad’s Videos 10/10

This is the best resource out there for someone like me who hasn’t taken Gen Chem in awhile. The videos are a great tool to learn to nearly all the concepts on the cDAT! Chad is amazing, I found his explanations very clear. I watched and took thorough notes on all of the videos – this was the first thing I did in my GC studying. After that, I re-listened to all of the videos on 1.5x speed. I would definitely recommend this resource to everyone!

Cliffs AP Biology 8.5/10

Great way to break into your Bio studying! This was my starting point, and it was pretty thorough. I didn’t think the reproduction or human physiology sections were great though. I read through this book 2x before moving on to Feralis notes. The laboratory section at the end of Cliff’s is pretty useless; I didn’t really look at it much.

Feralis Notes 10/10

Fantastic bio resource! Read it over 2x. These notes have nearly everything that was in Cliffs (so if pressed for time, skip Cliffs and just read this), but goes much more in depth into human physiology and reproduction. This was my main Bio studying resource. It is a great aggregate of all the high yield info you might encounter on the cDAT.

DATgenius 10/10

BIO – DAT Genius BIO WAS AMAZING! There are more hard questions in the practice tests than you’ll see on the real thing, but the explanations were amazing. What’s really valuable here is that they explain more than just the answer – they go into related concepts. Don’t look at the BIO section as just a practice test, it’s a study tool like Feralis or Cliffs. I went through all the bio practice tests 2x.

GC – very good as well, similar level of difficulty to the actual DAT and the explanations were really great. One gripe is that each DG GC test seemed to have one very difficult question that I got too occupied with for time.

PAT – Harder than the actual DAT, but the explanations are incredible! This was my main study resource for learning how to do PAT, starting with no background knowledge on PAT – the explanations actually teach you how to think and approach PAT. Also, make sure to use the DG boulder practice questions, there were a TON of them on the cDAT this year.

RC – Good practice tests, pretty similar to what I saw on the actual DAT and same level of difficulty. However, I was more pressed for time on these practice tests than I was on the actual DAT.

DATbootcamp 9.5/10

PAT – I found the DB PAT tests really helpful, very good practice for the actual DAT overall. However, the KH section was just insane for all of the practice tests. I was getting crazy low scores on KH (7/15 sometimes), the differences between the shapes are way too minor. I would always write the DB practice tests starting at TFE end ending with KH, because if I started with KH I would often not finish because I spent way too much time trying to figure out the insignificant differences. The other sections of PAT were great for practice.

BIO – DB was great for practicing bio. The tests seemed very representative. DB is a good resource to practice bio and gauge how prepared you are for the actual DAT. I usually scored between 23-25 on DB bio.

GC – very good, similar level of difficulty to the actual DAT. Again, my main complaint with DB is that the explanations were only OK. If I was confused about a concept I would usually need to look beyond the solutions to clarify it for myself.

RC – This is my biggest issue with DB as a product. The RC practice tests were not helpful AT ALL, at least for my experience studying for the Canadian DAT.

Do NOT be discouraged if you find it hard to finish DB reading comp or get low scores on them! I always struggled to finish (but keep in mind that I printed out the tests and only gave myself 50 mins for them), and never got higher than a 19 (and I got 16 many times). I almost feel that the RC is too discouraging and different from what you will actually see on the cDAT to be useful. I stopped writing them after doing 3 of the practice tests, I just didn’t think it was helpful at all and only brought down my confidence. RC (24) was my strongest section, so obviously DB RC was not at all indicative of the difficulty on the actual cDAT (keep in mind the American DAT may be different)

DAT Destroyer 8.5/10

I mainly used DAT Destroyer to study for GC. I worked through every GC problem, and found it to be good practice material overall, and the solutions are pretty good. The GC questions in destroyer are much less representative of the topics and difficulty seen in the actual DAT, DG and DB tests were better in my opinion for this reason. What’s good about destroyer is the volume of questions to do, which exposes you to a lot.

I worked through half of the BIO questions in Destroyer, and I did not think that they were very representative of the actual DAT. Some of the questions are very random, and most of the topics it covered that were representative I had already seen in other study materials. If you have the luxury of time, its worthwhile as anything could come up. However, they have questions on the specifics of Ebola which does seem low yield.

Overall, if you are limited on funds, I would say skip Destroyer, because DG and DB are better practical resources. That being said, I am pleased with the amount of GC practice I got from Destroyer, so if you do have the money to spend I do think it has value and will help you score better on GC.

Overall: Super happy to be done with this thing and onto the next stage. Feel free to ask any questions you might have!
I am pre-dental student, plan to take my DAT in couple of years...can you please advise how many types of section in DAT and for each section what to read ? Will appreciate your reply.

Reactions: 1 user
I heard the Canadian DAT RC is ordered in its questions, ie. the questions follow chronologically with the passages. Is this true?

Reactions: 1 user
I am pre-dental student, plan to take my DAT in couple of years...can you please advise how many types of section in DAT and for each section what to read ? Will appreciate your reply.
Hey Kupondole, for the Canadian DAT there are 4 sections: Reading comprehension (RC), general chemistry (GC), biology (BIO) and perceptual ability (PAT) [Note the American DAT also has 2 more sections - organic chemistry and quantitative reasoning]. In terms of what to read to prepare for each section, check out the recommended resources I mentioned in my breakdown - there are a lot of really great materials out there to help you prepare! :)

I heard the Canadian DAT RC is ordered in its questions, ie. the questions follow chronologically with the passages. Is this true?
Hey sternocleido! I was really pleasantly surprised when I wrote the cDAT! The questions were not in perfect chronological order, but they were more ordered than in tests I had seen before. Like I said, RC was my highest DAT score (24), and when I was doing practice tests I was consistently getting in the range of 16-20, so I found the actual DAT much easier than I expected it would be :)

Do you have any idea how the Canadian DAT compares to the American (did you take both)?

Last edited:
I'm taking the Canadian DAT next month for the first time and have taken the American DAT last summer. Do you have any idea how the Canadian DAT compares to the American (did you take both)?
Hey samsonlite, I have never taken the American DAT so I cannot compare it with certainty, but if my scores on American practice tests are any indication I would think the RC on the Canadian DAT is easier (the fact that it is paper based also makes it much easier). I think that the Canadian PAT, BIO, and GC sections are pretty similar in difficulty to the American DAT.

DAT Breakdown

RC 24

BIO 23

GC 22

TS 22

AA 23

PAT 23​

hey good job! where can i get the Kaplan DAT prep text book practice tests? are they online or do they come with the kaplan blue book or what sorry very confused on this, i've been trying to find this resource for awhile
TL,DR:

BIO – Feralis notes, DG

Resources Used:

Chad’s Videos 10/10

Cliffs AP Biology 8.5/10

Feralis Notes 10/10

DATgenius 10/10

DATbootcamp 9.5/10

DAT Destroyer 8.5/10

@OP

are the kaplan DAT practice tests you used for RC the ones that come with the Kaplan DAT review book (it comes with 2 practice tests, did u just do these 2?)
your RC is very impressive so trying to get same resources as you, i already got DB and DG

Attachments

• 9781506209173-us.jpg
    9781506209173-us.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 64