DAT Breakdown! [24AA, 23TS, 26PAT]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8_man

Achievement Unlocked: DDS
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a lot of studying, cramming, and not sleeping... I finally took the DAT. I just want to start off by giving a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE shoutout to @Ari Rezaei and DAT Bootcamp, as well as Chad's Videos. Their study tools were probably the sole reason why I managed to pull this off. Anywho, here's the breakdown and all that good stuff.

IMG_5077.JPG

Actual DAT
BIOL : 21

Pretty surprised here. Biology is honestly a shot in the dark (at least for me it is). You could study every detail there is to know about the subject, and then they'll throw that one term at you that you never heard of. I knew bio was my weakest subject going into this test, since I spent the least amount of time studying it. A 21? I'll take it. Chad's biology videos provided breadth, and Bootcamp provided depth to my biological studies.

CHEM : 22
As test-day approached, I felt really confident about my chemistry knowledge. I was honestly shooting for a 23+ but I can't complain with a 22. I felt that Chad's + Bootcamp provided sufficient knowledge to do well here.

OCHEM : 30
I knew I was gonna score fairly well here, but I was NOT expecting a 30. Holy crap. :thinking: Again, I felt that Chad's + Bootcamp provided sufficient knowledge to do well here.

PAT : 26
After going through Ari's generators every day (okay, okay... every couple days...), I felt really confident for this section. I always had a knack for visualizing things in my head, so it's great to have a score that reflects it.

RC : 26
Pretty much used S&D and hoped for the best. I consider myself to be a strong reader, but definitely not a fast reader. Be sure to use a strategy that works to your strengths and weaknesses.

QR : 22
A pretty big slap to the face. I considered math to be my strongest, most consistent subject. I completed up to Calculus II with straight A's, so I thought this section was going to be a breeze. My practice tests scores convinced me so, but again.. I can't be mad with a 22. Regardless, Bootcamp did an excellent job of presenting DAT-style questions.

DAT Bootcamp [test 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
BIOL : 19, 18, 19, 18, 19
CHEM : 18, 21, 24, 22, 19
OCHEM : 18, 19, 18, 26, 30
PAT : 21, 21, 22, 23, 20
RC : 20, 17, 21, 21, 20
QR : 20, 22, 19, 19, 21

DAT practice test [2007, 2009]
BIOL : 20, 23
CHEM : 25, 22
OCHEM : 30, 22
PAT : 23, 28
RC : 25, 21
QR : 29, x

NOTE : DO NOT LET YOUR BOOTCAMP SCORES SCARE YOU. It definitely scared me all the way till test day. But just know that the questions on Bootcamp are much, much more in depth than the actual DAT. When I took the 2007 DAT, I was actually shocked at how easy it was in comparison (but then the 2009 DAT smashed my confidence back down to Earth).

Study materials :
DAT Bootcamp
Chad's Videos
Princeton Review's "Crack the DAT"
Google

Week 0 (before the storm) :
I'm a 4th year biology major, so I put a lot of faith in my background knowledge. My study plan was to quickly review subject material and go straight into practice problems. Before any of this, I spent some time researching about the DAT and figuring out what kind of test it was. I wanted to know the format, time schedule, etc. Basically, I used this time to mentally prepare myself for the journey ahead. I also bought a subscription to DAT Bootcamp and Chad's videos, since they were the most acclaimed internet-based study materials out there. From here till my test day, I used DAT Bootcamp's PAT generators (15-20 min a day) to master this section.

Week 1 : [chem]
I spent this time going through Chad's Videos. In particular, I spent the first week watching the chemistry videos, since it was one of my weaker subjects. I took notes and stuff, but the real benefit of Chad's (in my opinion) is the quizzes. They really help to solidify your understanding of the concepts in each video. I HIGHLY recommend that you go through every single quiz question and understand the reasoning behind each answer.

Week 2 : [ochem]
I went through all of Chad's organic chemistry videos and quizzes. Not much difference from week 1.

Week 3 : [bio]
I took a risk and used Chad's biology videos for my primary source of biology review. In my opinion, it did a good job covering a lot of concepts, but it isn't without holes. Fortunately, there aren't as many BIO videos (in comparison to CHEM and OCHEM), so you'll have time afterwards to use Google and other materials to fill in the gaps. I personally used "Crack the DAT" from the Princeton Review. I did NOT read the book cover-to-cover, so I can't really vouch for it. It definitely helped clarify certain concepts such as embryology and the musculoskeletal system, though.

Week 4 : [BOOTCAMP]
Bootcamp Bootcamp Bootcamp. I used the first 2 practice tests as study material. In other words, I took them separately and under non-stressful conditions to sort of get the feel of an actual DAT section. It was also a wake-up call for me, because I scored really bad on my first couple tests. From this point on, I really took it upon myself to understand the material across all subjects of the DAT.

Week 5 : [more bootcamp?]
I took the 3rd and 4th DAT Bootcamp practice tests during this week. I took each in one go to simulate the actual DAT and work on my timing. After each test, I would go through each question and really dive into the material. If I didn't know what some answer choices were, I would google it. Then I would go broader and see how it fits into a larger biological context. Maybe studying this way is inefficient, but I wouldn't know.

Week 6 : [bootcamp and 2007 DAT]

Same procedure as last week. For the 2007 DAT, Ari uploaded an answer sheet, which was a big help.

Week 7 : [2009 DAT + cramming]
I spent most of my last week reviewing all the material I learned. Three days before my test, I took the 2009 DAT. All I can say is... skip the math section. It isn't worth the stress and anxiety it will cause. For the last 2 days, I just reviewed and prayed to the gods.

TEST DAY :
For breakfast, I ate some oatmeal and drank some orange juice. I also reviewed my notes for about an hour before I drove off to the testing site. Now... I want you to keep telling yourself that today is just another practice test. Panicking won't help you at all, so you may as well try to psych yourself out of it. It certainly helped me, and I didn't start sweating beads until I was midway through the QR section.

Hope you enjoyed the breakdown. Good luck on the DAT!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Nicely done, OP! My TS and RC scores from Bootcamp are fairly similar to yours, and that's definitely encouraging for me. Thanks for sharing and have fun with interviews!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After hundreds of hours of studying, cramming, and not sleeping... I finally took the DAT. I just want to start off by giving a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE shoutout to @Ari Rezaei and DAT Bootcamp, as well as Chad's Videos. Their study tools were probably the sole reason why I managed to pull this off. Anywho, here's the breakdown and all that good stuff.
;)

View attachment 207944

Actual DAT

Pretty surprised here. Biology is honestly a shot in the dark (at least for me it is). You could study every detail there is to know about the subject, and then they'll throw that one term at you that you never heard of. I knew bio was my weakest subject going into this test, since I spent the least amount of time studying it. A 21? I'll take it. Chad's biology videos provided breadth, and Bootcamp provided depth to my biological studies.

As test-day approached, I felt really confident about my chemistry knowledge. I was honestly shooting for a 23+ but I can't complain with a 22. I felt that Chad's + Bootcamp provided sufficient knowledge to do well here.

I knew I was gonna score fairly well here, but I was NOT expecting a 30. Holy crap. :thinking: Again, I felt that Chad's + Bootcamp provided sufficient knowledge to do well here.

After going through Ari's generators every day (okay, okay... every couple days... Let's be honest. I'm not a sadist.), I felt really confident for this section. I always had a knack for visualizing things in my head, so it's great to have a score that reflects it.

QR : 26
Imma be real with ya'll. I winged it. S&D all the way (and a little bit of guessing). I guessed on a lot of questions without thoroughly reading the passage. I am the world's slowest reader so I knew I wasn't going to finish on time through conventional means. I was praying for a 20 AT MOST, and I DO NOT recommend doing what I did. Luck was on my side today. ;)

A pretty big slap to the face. I considered math to be my strongest, most consistent subject. I completed up to Calculus II with straight A's, so I thought this section was going to be a breeze. My practice tests scores convinced me so, but again.. I can't be mad with a 22.:eyebrow: Regardless, Bootcamp did an excellent job of presenting DAT-style questions.

BIOL : 18, 19, 18, 18, 18
CHEM : 19, 20, 21, 25, 20
OCHEM : 18, 20, 25, 30, 21
PAT : 21, 24, 22, 22, 24
RC : 19, 20, 18, 20, 20
QR : 20, 21, 24, 23, 21

NOTE : DO NOT LET YOUR BOOTCAMP SCORES SCARE YOU. It definitely scared me all the way till test day. But just know that the questions on Bootcamp are much, much more in depth than the actual DAT. When I took the 2007 DAT, I was actually shocked at how easy it was in comparison (but then the 2009 DAT smashed my confidence back down to Earth).

Study materials :
DAT Bootcamp
Chad's Videos
Google

Study period : 7 weeks

I'm a 4th year biology major, so I put a lot of faith in my background knowledge. My study plan was to quickly review subject material and go straight into practice problems. Before any of this, I spent some time researching about the DAT and figuring out what kind of test it was. I wanted to know the format, time schedule, etc. Basically, I used this time to mentally prepare myself for the journey ahead. I also bought a subscription to DAT Bootcamp and Chad's videos, since they were the most acclaimed internet-based study materials out there. From here till my test day, I used DAT Bootcamp's PAT generators (15-20 min a day) to master this section.

I spent this time going through Chad's Videos. In particular, I spent the first week watching the chemistry videos, since it was one of my weaker subjects. I took notes and stuff, but the real benefit of Chad's (in my opinion) is the quizzes. They really help to solidify your understanding of the concepts in each video. I HIGHLY recommend that you go through every single quiz question and understand the reasoning behind each answer.

I went through all of Chad's organic chemistry videos and quizzes. Not much difference from week 1.

I took a risk and used Chad's biology videos for my primary source of biology review. In my opinion, it did a good job covering a lot of concepts, but it isn't without holes. Fortunately, there aren't as many BIO videos (in comparison to CHEM and OCHEM), so you'll have time afterwards to use Google and other materials to fill in the gaps. I personally used "Crack the DAT" from the Princeton Review. I did NOT read the book cover-to-cover, so I can't really vouch for it. It definitely helped clarify certain concepts such as embryology and the musculoskeletal system, though.

Bootcamp Bootcamp Bootcamp. I used the first 2 practice tests as study material. In other words, I took them separately and under non-stressful conditions to sort of get the feel of an actual DAT section. It was also a wake-up call for me, because I scored really bad on my first couple tests. From this point on, I really took it upon myself to understand the material across all subjects of the DAT.

I took the 3rd and 4th DAT Bootcamp practice tests during this week. I took each in one go to simulate the actual DAT and work on my timing. After each test, I would go through each question and really dive into the material. If I didn't know what some answer choices were, I would google it. Then I would go broader and see how it fits into a larger biological context. Maybe studying this way is inefficient, but I wouldn't know.

Same procedure as last week. For the 2007 DAT, Ari uploaded an answer sheet, which was a big help.

I spent most of my last week reviewing all the material I learned. Three days before my test, I took the 2009 DAT. All I can say is... skip the math section. It isn't worth the stress and anxiety it will cause. For the last 2 days, I just reviewed and prayed to the gods.

TEST DAY :
For breakfast, I ate some oatmeal and drank some orange juice. I also reviewed my notes for about an hour before I drove off to the testing site. Now... I want you to keep telling yourself that today is just another practice test. Panicking won't help you at all, so you may as well try to psych yourself out of it. It certainly helped me, and I didn't start sweating beads until I was midway through the QR section.

Anywho, off to celebrate. I'll add more to this breakdown when I come back. Good luck!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
GRATS BAWS MAN!!!!!! Lol QR was a slap to my face too. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL.... You did an awesome job on this test!! Did you really get that lucky in RC?! I'm so jelly xDD. I was all out forcing myself to not burn out and maintain focus for the last 2 sections tbh. Amazing job in orgo and PAT also dude. I feel like I'm delusional but the last 3 weeks have been filled with ridiculous DAT scores lol.

GRATS BAWS MAN!!!!!! Lol QR was a slap to my face too. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL.... You did an awesome job on this test!! Did you really get that lucky in RC?! I'm so jelly xDD. I was all out forcing myself to not burn out and maintain focus for the last 2 sections tbh. Amazing job in orgo and PAT also dude. I feel like I'm delusional but the last 3 weeks have been filled with ridiculous DAT scores lol.

Looking at your scores, you nailed it as well. Good job!

For what its worth, I took the MCAT a year ago and got a 124 on the reading section (which is very bad, 49th percentile). I hadn't read a single bit of literature since then.. but I did sell my soul to the devil last week.

Last edited:

For what its worth, I took the MCAT a year ago and got a 124 on the reading section (49th percentile). I hadn't read a single bit of literature since then.. but I did sell my soul to the devil last week.
MCAT O_O. Why'd you switch to the dental side?

Members don't see this ad :)

For what its worth, I took the MCAT a year ago and got a 124 on the reading section (which is very bad, 49th percentile). I hadn't read a single bit of literature since then.. but I did sell my soul to the devil last week.

Hahaha heard CARS is as troll as can be .

After a lot of studying, cramming, and not sleeping... I finally took the DAT. I just want to start off by giving a HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE shoutout to @Ari Rezaei and DAT Bootcamp, as well as Chad's Videos. Their study tools were probably the sole reason why I managed to pull this off. Anywho, here's the breakdown and all that good stuff.

View attachment 207944

Actual DAT

After going through Ari's generators every day (okay, okay... every couple days...), I felt really confident for this section. I always had a knack for visualizing things in my head, so it's great to have a score that reflects it.

RC : 26
Pretty much used S&D and hoped for the best. I consider myself to be a strong reader, but definitely not a fast reader. Be sure to use a strategy that works to your strengths and weaknesses.

A pretty big slap to the face. I considered math to be my strongest, most consistent subject. I completed up to Calculus II with straight A's, so I thought this section was going to be a breeze. My practice tests scores convinced me so, but again.. I can't be mad with a 22. Regardless, Bootcamp did an excellent job of presenting DAT-style questions.

BIOL : 18, 19, 18, 18, 18
CHEM : 19, 20, 21, 25, 20
OCHEM : 18, 20, 25, 30, 21
PAT : 21, 24, 22, 22, 24
RC : 19, 20, 18, 20, 20
QR : 20, 21, 24, 23, 21

Study materials :
DAT Bootcamp
Chad's Videos
Google

TEST DAY :

Hope you enjoyed the breakdown. Good luck on the DAT!
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
You didn't use destroyer? I feel like using bootcamp and chad's quizzes are good enough.

You didn't use destroyer? I feel like using bootcamp and chad's quizzes are good enough.

inb4 $hitstorm.

Pretty divided topic to be honest. Some people swear by destroyer and use any opportunity they have to praise/promote it. Others think it is a complete waste of time and overkill.

Me? I used it and liked it but I can see why some people find it unnecessary.
For biology I liked it because it exposes to you a BUNCH OF QUESTIONS, and if you analyze the answer choices and question stems you subconsciously learn alot. For biology related stuff, I hate reading and memorizing and I need ways of constantly testing myself/reinforcing it (whether that be through flashcards, multiple choice questions etc). I just retain things better that way so destroyer was useful for me.

For general chemistry or organic chemistry it basically exposes you to a bunch of problems, often times much harder than the ones in other prep sources or the real DAT. Very helpful if you don't have that much background and want to supplement your studies with challenging questions. However, if someone has already had exposure to difficult questions, whether through difficult professors or harder exams (like the MCAT) I can see how they can easily succeed on the DAT within it.

TLDR it depends

Reactions: 1 users

It really depends on your personal background and what your goals are for the test. I mentioned somewhere in the breakdown that I'm a 4th year biology major, so I felt pretty confident going into the sciences section without Destroyer. Also, I was really aiming for a 20-21 on the DAT, so I didn't feel the need to over-prepare.

If you put in the work during your undergrad years, I honestly believe that Chad's is all you need for the chemistries. Excellent content review and quiz questions to supplement your background knowledge. Bootcamp also has a lot of QR and PAT exams, so after going through all of that, I felt ready for those two sections.

Awesome scores congratulations.
I see you took a different path in studying, as most people suggest to study different materials at the same day, but I for one am not used to study different materials at the same day.
Can you elaborate more on how did you study during week 1 and 2, and 3.. I mean how many videos did you cover each day.

For the biology preparation, I plan to watch videos, read campbell powerpoints, solve the quizes onlines associated with each chapter and then use Feralise anki notes, what do you think of that, I just hate reading from cliff book.

Awesome scores congratulations.
I see you took a different path in studying, as most people suggest to study different materials at the same day, but I for one am not used to study different materials at the same day.
Can you elaborate more on how did you study during week 1 and 2, and 3.. I mean how many videos did you cover each day.

For the biology preparation, I plan to watch videos, read campbell powerpoints, solve the quizes onlines associated with each chapter and then use Feralise anki notes, what do you think of that, I just hate reading from cliff book.
Not exactly sure how many videos there are for Chad's, but just find out the total and divide by 7 days. That will give you an estimate on how you should pace yourself.

My biggest words of advice to you is that you will have good days and you will have bad days. On those good days (ie. you feel really focused and in the "zone"), you must capitalize on this state of mind and go through as much content as you can. This will give you more time and leverage when dealing with those bad days.

As for how you should study–trust your instincts! You've made it this far, so stick to your guns that have been working.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure how many videos there are for Chad's, but just find out the total and divide by 7 days. That will give you an estimate on how you should pace yourself.

My biggest words of advice to you is that you will have good days and you will have bad days. On those good days (ie. you feel really focused and in the "zone"), you must capitalize on this state of mind and go through as much content as you can. This will give you more time and leverage when dealing with those bad days.

As for how you should study–trust your instincts! You've made it this far, so stick to your guns that have been working.

Thank you so much, yeah I do have good and bad days :p
did you go to the gym during those weeks?

Thank you so much, yeah I do have good and bad days :p
did you go to the gym during those weeks?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I did make time to work out, maybe for about 30-45 minutes a day. I would run on a treadmill and watch some biology videos (or anime lol). Other times, I would lift weights. Not sure if you already took your test yet, but good luck!