DAT Breakdown 23AA 23TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali20002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So I just took the DAT and I got some pretty decent scores. Huge thanks to @dentalWorks and @orgoman22!

To start off, I used the stickied sample DAT study schedule which I found incredibly helpful. This track includes CDP, Kaplan's DAT Blue Book, Cliffnotes AP Biology, Chad's GChem and OChem videos, DAT Destroyer (2015), and Math Destroyer (2015).

PAT: I used Crack DAT PAT and I found my practice scores pretty close to my actual scores.
  • Keyholes - I thought CDP was too easy with them compared to the real DAT because the figures were more complex on the real thing, but my other PAT scores balanced out my final one
  • TFE - Again, the real DAT was harder on this section
  • Angles - Slightly harder than CDP. I didn't really use a strategy, just went with my gut on this section
  • Hole punching - Slightly harder than CDP because I got some funky folds on the real deal; however, this section was pretty comparable
  • Cube counting - CDP was way harder than the actual exam, but good preparation
  • Pattern folding - CDP was slightly easier than the real exam, but I got a good idea of what to expect
QR: Math Destroyer is crucial. I hated doing the problems in it, but they were pretty reflective of the real exam. On the real section, time is killer - it was a crunch for me. I should have done all 15 practice tests (untimed) and then redid them all (timed). I would highly recommend using this material to study.

RC: I did the sample 2009 DAT RC section (which I thought was way harder) along with a DAT Genius RC test which was pretty similar to the real thing, but DAT Genius was harder. I used BYU4You's balanced RC strategy which I found extremely helpful for me. I think the most important part about this section is to try as many methods as necessary to find a strategy that gets you the best scores. I tried using Viper's S&D method and I was terrible with it; however, I then tried BYU's and I was scoring much better. You need to find a method, use it a few times to build your confidence in it, and then stick with it. Confidence in your method and yourself is crucial here.

BIO: This section was really mixed. I used Kaplan's Blue Book and Cliff's AP Bio notes to prepare me for problems in DAT Destroyer. I found DAT Destroyer to cover a lot of material even though the real DAT had questions that weren't nearly as challenging. Luckily, DAT Destroyer prepares you for the large scope of material instead.

GChem: This section was way easier than DAT Destroyer problems. I also used Chad's videos to prepare me with the material and I found it extremely helpful.

OChem: I used Chad's videos and DAT Destroyer to help me out here. I found DAT Destroyer to be crucial here.

Overall, I would highly recommend Chad's Videos and DAT Destroyer (any version - I used 2015). They helped me study and retain the material pretty well. As far as CDP goes, I would recommend something else that's more challenging. Although my CDP scores were similar to my actual PAT score, some sections are just too easy in CDP (Keyholes, TFE, and pattern folding) and I think it prevented me from improving my weaknesses. For Biology, I would recommend using Cliff's notes along with something else - the questions I got wrong in Bio were not covered with the review books that I used. DATBootcamp would probably be a great resource to add in.

Lastly, thanks to everyone here for providing incredibly valuable study information and tools. I could not have done it without your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats ! really awesome scores. If you can, can you please share any questions/topics relating to Biology , Gen Chem , and/or Orgo that you came across which caused you to be surprised by or which you focused on more because they appeared ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I just got my scores and I'm very happy with them - the hard work paid off.
PAT: 19
QR: 20
RC: 23
BIO: 22
GChem: 22
OChem: 27
TS:23
AA:23

To start off, I used the stickied sample DAT study schedule which I found incredibly helpful. Huge thanks to dentalWorks and Orgoman.
PAT: I used Crack DAT PAT and I found my practice scores pretty close to my actual scores.
  • Keyholes - I thought CDP was too easy with them compared to the real DAT because the figures were more complex on the real thing, but my other PAT scores balanced out my final scores
  • TFE - Again, the real DAT was harder on this section
  • Angles - Slightly harder than CDP. I didn't really use a strategy, just went with my gut on this section
  • Hole punching - Slightly harder than CDP because I got some funky folds on the real deal; however, this section was pretty comparable
  • Cube counting - CDP was way harder than the actual exam, but good preparation
  • Pattern folding - CDP was slightly easier than the real exam, but I got a good idea of what to expect
QR: Math Destroyer is crucial. I hated doing the problems in it, but they were pretty reflective of the real exam. I would highly recommend using this material to study
RC: I did the sample 2009 QR test (which I thought was way harder) along with a DAT Genius RC test which was pretty similar to the real thing. I also used BYU4You's RC balanced strategy which I found extremely helpful for me. Also only spent 3 days on RC so this score was the most shocking to me
BIO: This section was really mixed. I used Kaplan's Blue Book and Cliff's AP Bio notes to prepare me for problems in DAT Destroyer. I found DAT Destroyer to cover a lot of material even though the real DAT had questions that weren't nearly as challenging. Luckily, DAT Destroyer prepares you for the large scope of material instead.
GChem: This section was way easier than DAT Destroyer problems. I also used Chad's videos to prepare me with the material and I found it extremely helpful.
OChem: I used Chad's videos and DAT Destroyer to help me out here. I found DAT Destroyer to be crucial here.

Overall, I would highly recommend Chad's Videos and DAT Destroyer (any version - I used 2015). They helped me study and retain the material pretty well. As far as CDP goes, I would probably recommend something else that's more challenging. Although my CDP scores were similar to my actual PAT score, some sections are just too easy in CDP (Keyholes, TFE, and pattern folding).
Lastly, thanks to everyone here for providing incredibly valuable study information and tools. I could not have done it without your help.

Congratulations! Amazing scores and very solid advice. Thanks for posting your score report, LuckBloodandSweat likes the proof! LOL

Wishing you the very best and thanks for the shout out, it's much appreciated.

Nancy and Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Amazing scores and very solid advice. Thanks for posting your score report, LuckBloodandSweat likes the proof! LOL

Wishing you the very best and thanks for the shout out, it's much appreciated.

Nancy and Dr. Romano
If it's like a 23/24+ and there's no proof sometimes I don't like the post! A bit harsh but it's what I do ;)

how did you use the cliffs AP bio book? currently I'm reading through it and taking notes as I read on my computer but I feel like it is taking more time to write the notes then actually study. I have a pretty strong background but I definitely want to study well and efficiently.

Great breakdown and wonderful scores! Hopefully I can do the same on my DAT. I'm weak on my PAT so I'll definitely look into ordering Crack DAT PAT.
Congrats on your acceptance to Creighton! :)

Great breakdown and wonderful scores! Hopefully I can do the same on my DAT. I'm weak on my PAT so I'll definitely look into ordering Crack DAT PAT.
Congrats on your acceptance to Creighton! :)
I was bad at pat too but got 4 interviews. It's not the end of the world xD. That being said I'm not accepted yet either. Keep on pushing and look at the guide 8man posted

I was bad at pat too but got 4 interviews. It's not the end of the world xD. That being said I'm not accepted yet either. Keep on pushing and look at the guide 8man posted
LuckBloodandSweat, have you been on your interviews? How'd they go? I am rooting for you to get in!

Nancy