DAT 2017 Score Breakdown 6/23/17 21 TS! 21 AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayBae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just took the dat today! My scores were:
23 Bio
20 Chem
19 Ochem
19 PAT
22 RC
19 QR

I know they arnt the best score but not bad for a 2 month prep. The sources I used were Kaplan, Chads videos for Chem and ochem, DAT boot camp, DAT Destroyer and AK lectures. Basically the two things which are worth noting is that:

1) The keyholes on the PAT are crazy caught me off guard much harder then dat boot camp pat! Wierd 3D rock shapes with a lot of edges n slants. Also the angles took me by such since I practiced on a laptop screen they look much different on the computer screen at the prometric testing center. I would practice on a larger computer screen which makes the angle full screen and stretches them out a bit like the real DAT. Other then that it was easier then dat boot camp. I really feel like I took a L due to the angles and keyholes on this section.

2) Next, the math got much easier due to the update! I did not study for QR at all I was expecting a 17-18 max! However, the math is very straightforward also it's like the GRE with their special types of questions A vs B.

3) Took a L on the Ochem basically memorized all the reaction products without learning the mechanisms. Chads ochem videos don't go into depth on all the mechanisms. Which hurt me on the real dat not knowing the intermiadtes of basic reactions like enamine and imine and Robinson annulation. I should have spent more time learning Ochem spent about 2 weeks learning the material and 1 week of problems.

Sources Ranked in order of Helpfullness:

1) DAT Bootcamp- must have! Run through everything it will pay off!

2) Chads videos for Gen Chem- Amazing sticks to me like glue.

3) AK Lectures- On YouTube for Bio this dude goes into depth but some questions on the DAT go into depth don't risk it know every minor detail it will show up on a couple questions which will make or break you.

4) DAT Destroyer- Ran through over 50% of its overkill but helps understand all the concepts.

5) Kaplan prep course sucks bad! Don't waste your money. But I don't feel so bad since once question directly showed up from their practice test on my bio section. The question was a obescure mammalian adaptions question.

The last 10 days I ran through 10 practice tests from Kaplan and BC but I skipped the QR lol! Overall I'm happy I guess, but the PAT took me by shock. Love you guys good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_4494.JPG
    IMG_4494.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: 2 users
Hi!!

If you don't mind me asking - what were all your scores like on bootcamp? How did they compare to the real exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys just like Ari says don't focus to much on your scores. They were pretty accurate on predicting my scores but on BC ochem I was getting 23-25 on practice tests so I got confident and stoped focusing on ochem so I wouldn't stress too much on the scores. In bio I got 19-21. On reading I never even got a 20 on BC. Just keep grinding it out it's about stamina.

Also yes the questions on BC for quantitative comparison are spot on maybe even harder then the real thing.

Congrats on the scores! Don't beat yourself up too much on not knowing the mechanism/intermediates to the robinson annulation. It is actually absurd you got a question on it. Most organic chemistry professors just expect you to know the reactant or product for that reaction. I could be wrong but I don't think that rxn is in either Destroyer's must knows or Chad's rxn list.

Bottom line you are all done and can now enjoy your summer!

Thanks! Yes that's true, but Chad goes over the main reactions like EAS and NAS.

congrats!! You did awesome! Thanks so much for posting this. I'm taking the DAT in about 2 weeks and I appreciate the update. Good luck with applications and everything! :)

Thanks for posting this, good to get updates on how things went on the test as I go in to take mine.

What was your reasoning behind not studying for or practicing QR?

23 Bio
20 Chem
19 Ochem
19 PAT
22 RC
19 QR

I know they arnt the best score but not bad for a 2 month prep. The sources I used were Kaplan, Chads videos for Chem and ochem, DAT boot camp, DAT Destroyer and AK lectures. Basically the two things which are worth noting is that:

1) The keyholes on the PAT are crazy caught me off guard much harder then dat boot camp pat! Wierd 3D rock shapes with a lot of edges n slants. Also the angles took me by such since I practiced on a laptop screen they look much different on the computer screen at the prometric testing center. I would practice on a larger computer screen which makes the angle full screen and stretches them out a bit like the real DAT. Other then that it was easier then dat boot camp. I really feel like I took a L due to the angles and keyholes on this section.

2) Next, the math got much easier due to the update! I did not study for QR at all I was expecting a 17-18 max! However, the math is very straightforward also it's like the GRE with their special types of questions A vs B.

3) Took a L on the Ochem basically memorized all the reaction products without learning the mechanisms. Chads ochem videos don't go into depth on all the mechanisms. Which hurt me on the real dat not knowing the intermiadtes of basic reactions like enamine and imine and Robinson annulation. I should have spent more time learning Ochem spent about 2 weeks learning the material and 1 week of problems.

3) AK Lectures- On YouTube for Bio this dude goes into depth but some questions on the DAT go into depth don't risk it know every minor detail it will show up on a couple questions which will make or break you.

4) DAT Destroyer- Ran through over 50% of its overkill but helps understand all the concepts.

5) Kaplan prep course sucks bad! Don't waste your money. But I don't feel so bad since once question directly showed up from their practice test on my bio section. The question was a obescure mammalian adaptions question.

The last 10 days I ran through 10 practice tests from Kaplan and BC but I skipped the QR lol! Overall I'm happy I guess, but the PAT took me by shock. Love you guys good luck.

Congrats on the great scores!!

23 Bio
20 Chem
19 Ochem
19 PAT
22 RC
19 QR

Congratulations on being done with the DAT! I'm taking mine next month and am worried about the bio section. What topics would you say were really emphasized on your exam? What strategy helped you the most while studying for bio?

Hey guys I was pressed on time so I decided to focus on the sciences and PAT did a couple reading passages.
The thing about BIO is they might ask you random questions easy to straight up ridiculous meaning to score a 20+ you really need to know it all. There's no way to cheat the system. AK lectures goes into a lot of depth which really helped me.

Thanks for the breakdown! This is my first time on this forum so pardon my long-winded question.

How were your kaplan FL tests compared to the actual test? I'm a bit bummed because I've managed to increase my science bootcamp scores from 18-19 up to 20-22, and QR is about 19. On Kaplan I only got a 19 TS, (e.g. 17 in GC when I got 20, 22 on my most recent ones for bootcamp). On the QR for kaplan, I bombed it because I ran out of time. These Kaplan tests seem so much more inconsistent in comparison to bootcamp and my AA has been around 17-18 for them.

My test is in 18 days and i'm kind of freaking out. Just wondering if I should focus on bootcamp/ destroyer rather than Kaplan? Thanks again.
Hey buddy, don't let the Kaplan scores bum you out just look at am once and keep them in the back of your mind. DAT bootcamp is hands down the best source. Study into depth on the questions you are getting wrong they can ask you anything on there. Don't panic relax and try to do things you enjoy for a hour a day one week for the exam. You should be taking it easy in my opinion before the exam and fully let your brain recover and go in and kill the exam on test day.

I also packed a lunch which I would enjoy during my break which helped me calm down and relax. I listened to some music ate some food chilled out.