CVS RPh/Interns! Need help with PSI!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RX671987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know the 7 elements to PSI (Pharmacy Service Initiative)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

P3 with interview coming up, eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Adherence Outreach Calls, First-fill Counseling, New Script Pickup, Readyfill, Customer Savings Initiative, Gaps in Care, and you also get graded on having the patient's correct phone number. If you need goals for each of these metrics, let me know!

Adherence Outreach Calls, First-fill Counseling, New Script Pickup, Readyfill, Customer Savings Initiative, Gaps in Care, and you also get graded on having the patient's correct phone number. If you need goals for each of these metrics, let me know!

Those goals would be great!

Thanks in advance! :)

Ok, so as a pharmacist/pharmacy, your individual CVS store gets graded on a) completion of the PSI elements and b) the effectiveness of your efforts. Your grade can be seen on the Execution Scorecard (monthly) and also on the KPM (Key Performance Measures) Scorecard (also montly).

1) Adherence Outreach Calls (PCI): the goal for completion is to reach 65% of patients on the list and maintain a conversation for 30 seconds. For effectiveness (KPM), the goal is for 30% of the medications listed to be refilled. Note: not 30% of an individual's prescriptions to be refilled, but 30% overall

2) First-fill Counseling: the whole goal with First-fill is for the RPh to inform the patient of the importance of being compliant when the patient fills a prescription for the first time. It's done automatically with RxConnect and when the rx is rung through the register, a message tells the sales associate that the Pharmacist needs to speak with the pt. The KPM goal for First-fill is that of all First-fill, original rx pick-ups, 70% of these will be refilled.

3) New Script Pickup: again looking at compliance, a list forms daily of original fill rx's that have been waiting to be picked up for 8 days and prompts the pharmacist to call the pt and inform them they have a med waiting. Completion goal: reach 70% of patients. KPM goal: 70% of scripts on the list will be picked up

4) Readyfill is automatic refills of maintenance meds. I love readyfill when it's used properly because it creates less phone time and it shortens the PCI calls. The goal for all stores is that 40% of eligible rx's be filled automatically through readyfill. They also measure the % of rx's that are returned to stock after 14 days that were filled via RF, just to make sure you're doing it right ;)

5) CSI and Gaps in Care: CSI gives the patient an opportunity to switch from an expensive brand name med to a cheaper generic in the same class, pending their approval and their prescriber's approval. Gaps in Care is new and looks at diabetic patients who are not on a Statin or ACEI and basically does the same thing to start them on these drugs for kidney and heart protection. I think the goals for this are 50% patient acceptance and 80% MD acceptance, although they may be different now...

6) Having the correct patient phone number: this is overlooked but is pretty important. CVS expects you to have the correct phone number for 90% of the patients served in your store. It's easy to fix, considering there are two opportunities to update this with every customer (drop-off and pick-up).

Hope that helps, sorry it's a book of a post!

Actually, after doing a little more looking, PSI is a combination of pharmacy design and workflow tools that include: interactive voice response, physician fax capabilites, prescription prioritization via promise time, automated refill reminder calls, and generic drug programs like Health Savings Pass... The whole concept is to give pharmacist more time to interact with patients doing all of the above concepts, haha. Sorry about the wrong answer, but if you're interviewing, it'll look good on your part to know all of that anyway!

Actually, after doing a little more looking, PSI is a combination of pharmacy design and workflow tools that include: interactive voice response, physician fax capabilites, prescription prioritization via promise time, automated refill reminder calls, and generic drug programs like Health Savings Pass... The whole concept is to give pharmacist more time to interact with patients doing all of the above concepts, haha. Sorry about the wrong answer, but if you're interviewing, it'll look good on your part to know all of that anyway!

None of the answers above nor your explanation contain the 7 Mandatory elements of PSI. Though it is good information to be aware of.

I must say, your preceptors really suck as you really have no clue about what PSI is. It has nothing to do with IVR or physician fax capabilities, all of which predated PSI. I don't know where you are from, but if you interview with material above you will guarantee not to get an offer.

1. Answer the drive thru in 20 seconds
2. Answer the phone on the first ring
3. All waiters are 15 minutes or less
4. Leave 31-second long blank voice mails when you get an answering machine during PCQ calls
5. You NEVER have Oxycodone 30mg in stock ... EVER
6. Lunch break? What's that?
7. Bathroom break? Didn't you get your diaper during training?

None of the answers above nor your explanation contain the 7 Mandatory elements of PSI. Though it is good information to be aware of.

I must say, your preceptors really suck as you really have no clue about what PSI is. It has nothing to do with IVR or physician fax capabilities, all of which predated PSI. I don't know where you are from, but if you interview with material above you will guarantee not to get an offer.

Wow, Old Timer, I bet you are quite the coach and team leader of your store with such great constructive feedback. I'm glad I never worked with you and hopefully never will. FYI, I did interview and nailed it, so f*** you, colleague

lol. even i know that wasn't PSI and ive never worked retail

Wow, Old Timer, I bet you are quite the coach and team leader of your store with such great constructive feedback. I'm glad I never worked with you and hopefully never will. FYI, I did interview and nailed it, so f*** you, colleague

If you nailed the interview w/o knowing what PSI is then so be it. I was not commenting on you, I was commenting on your preceptors failing to prepare you adequately.

I took my three students to a restaurant and spent more than 2 hours going over all of the metrics on all three score cards. My students were very well prepared and all three did very well.

If you nailed the interview w/o knowing what PSI is then so be it. I was not commenting on you, I was commenting on your preceptors failing to prepare you adequately.

I took my three students to a restaurant and spent more than 2 hours going over all of the metrics on all three score cards. My students were very well prepared and all three did very well.

My apologies, Old Timer. I guess I read into your response wrong. Thanks for the education on PSI, now I can apply that to the other metrics in a few short months.

So Old timer, could you please explain for me about PSI and all other information about CVS. I did go to their website but doesn't have any info about it. Thank you so much

The 7 mandatory service elements are on RxNet under Current Focus on the main page.

1. Answer the drive thru in 20 seconds
2. Answer the phone on the first ring
3. All waiters are 15 minutes or less
4. Leave 31-second long blank voice mails when you get an answering machine during PCQ calls
5. You NEVER have Oxycodone 30mg in stock ... EVER
6. Lunch break? What's that?
7. Bathroom break? Didn't you get your diaper during training?
check, check and check