Cvs night vs walmart staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickpic007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just want to get an opinion on here, would like to hear people's opinion which is a better medium term Choice (10 -12 yrs to retire?) Im at cvs nights and have a chance to go to WM Staff. WM has better pto, annual bonus & day is Healthier. Cvs night is higher salary 9k,yr 7/7 schedule,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Just want to get an opinion on here, would like to hear people's opinion which is a better medium term Choice (10 -12 yrs to retire?) Im at cvs nights and have a chance to go to WM Staff. WM has better pto, annual bonus & day is Healthier. Cvs night is higher salary 9k,yr 7/7 schedule,

Thanks
I've done both. Unless your overnights are very slow, Walmart is much better quality of life. And even if they are slow, your store hours can switch to days only the next time CVS needs to put out an earnings statement and payroll is too costly.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people just can't do nights.

Can you do nights? Have you ever?
On nights right now it's a bit tiring but doable, my store is good at keeping night rph busy...

I've done both. Unless your overnights are very slow, Walmart is much better quality of life. And even if they are slow, your store hours can switch to days only the next time CVS needs to put out an earnings statement and payroll is too costly.

Making WM sound good again!
Do you know the min # of months needed to wait before transferring districts?

If your body is set up to do night like mine is (dx'd delayed sleep phase syndrome) there is absolutely no better job than CVS night shift. If not...you should probably do your body a favor and stick with days

night shift is great if you can do it....I can't...so I'd take the WM job every time

Do you know the min # of months needed to wait before transferring districts?

I don't. I'm not really trying to go anywhere. I have a coworker who is moving from my store to a PIC position elsewhere after one year, so it's 12 or less.

If your body is set up to do night like mine is (dx'd delayed sleep phase syndrome) there is absolutely no better job than CVS night shift. If not...you should probably do your body a favor and stick with days

Is it common to walk into multiple pages qp @ 9pm and be expected to clear All plus fill half empty robot,state count, 9 pages ready fill, 14 and 7 day rts? I've only done night at my home store. If I had tech till midnight it would be easier

I don't. I'm not really trying to go anywhere. I have a coworker who is moving from my store to a PIC position elsewhere after one year, so it's 12 or less.

Humm 12 month is not bad!

Is it common to walk into multiple pages qp @ 9pm and be expected to clear All plus fill half empty robot,state count, 9 pages ready fill, 14 and 7 day rts? I've only done night at my home store. If I had tech till midnight it would be easier

Sounds like a typical mid level store.

Take the Walmart slot! I am at CVS and it is getting uglier by the minute.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If your robot is half empty every night, then you are doing something wrong. I have to do 13 pages readyfill, but my day time people is usually pretty good about cleaning the que before I get there.

If your robot is half empty every night, then you are doing something wrong. I have to do 13 pages readyfill, ....

if u have 13 pages in readyfill, then u are doing something wrong. look at the number of readyfills u did that were not picked up, that 14 days later are return to stock.

if u have 13 pages in readyfill, then u are doing something wrong. look at the number of readyfills u did that were not picked up, that 14 days later are return to stock.

That really depends on the store. If it's a 4000+ store, over 13 pages is typical. Hell, some stores 13 pages is an easy night. I worked at a store in N Philly that had about 20 pages every night. It took me until after 1:00AM just to reconcile the QT.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your robot is half empty every night, then you are doing something wrong. I have to do 13 pages readyfill, but my day time people is usually pretty good about cleaning the que before I get there.

Many times 5 pages qp on Arrival. If it's clean I can catch up robot...

When u getting to TX?!

That really depends on the store. If it's a 4000+ store, over 13 pages is typical. Hell, some stores 13 pages is an easy night. I worked at a store in N Philly that had about 20 pages every night. It took me until after 1:00AM just to reconcile the QT.

Is 1am normal for qt and qp to drop? In the last month my average drop time is like 2 am

I was with walmart and now in my second week with 7 x 7 CVS night FT, my sleep cycle is still not fully in-tuned, Walmart is better if you are a day person and it's low stress compared to CVS, at CVS It really depends on what type of store you are in , If your day shift has a habit of trying to clean up the mess they create then it's a lot easier.

I was with walmart and now in my second week with 7 x 7 CVS night FT, my sleep cycle is still not fully in-tuned, Walmart is better if you are a day person and it's low stress compared to CVS, at CVS It really depends on what type of store you are in , If your day shift has a habit of trying to clean up the mess they create then it's a lot easier.

What made you switch from Walmart to CVS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I spent 2 hrs in my car every day, vs 10 min to CVS. I am 7 on 7 off so I work only two weeks in a month and taking a weekend off means 10 day vacation its a huge plus for me while making more than walmart

Last edited:

Thats what Ive been hearing, WM days is low stress for staff spot... CVS days is stress city. I dont have it too bad, if the Hospital wasnt nearby it would be chill..

Do you see a lot of former CVS at WM? in my area lots of my colleagues from cvs have jumped to WM

Do you see a lot of former CVS at WM? in my area lots of my colleagues from cvs have jumped to WM

Workload wise ANYTHING is better than CVS. It's not just your area. Majority of my co-workers are ex-CVS burnt out.

Hi,

Thanks

Pray that you have competent technicians at that Walmart. Their software is nowhere near CVS's and very redundant in many ways.

Ask whoever is hiring you about the % accuracy of the technicians and their error rate over the last 6 months. They should be able to pull up those reports for you and will respect you for asking. It's hit or miss with Walmart technicians. For every outlier you have another 9 subpar technicians.

Ask your recruiter for the YTD and current metrics. If the store is not green all the way in all ways, run and do it fast.

Reactions: 1 user
It's faster to fill until 3 AM and then deal with QT. Then you're past the point of PBMs in other time zones saying you are submitting the wrong date.

Were you able to finish 20 pages? Even if no patient shows up the whole night, I think I'd have a hard time doing that many.

It's faster to fill until 3 AM and then deal with QT. Then you're past the point of PBMs in other time zones saying you are submitting the wrong date.

That used to be an issue like 3-4 years ago and there'd be an entire page or more of those, but I rarely get wrong date rejects anymore. Like maybe a few a month. And I'm all the way on the East Coast. Where are you?

Last edited:
Yes. Mostly because I had a script pro. I couldn't do that without one, though. That wouldn't be possible.

That's tough even with a script pro... I mean that's 300 rx... unless all your med came out of the machine haha

Pray that you have competent technicians at that Walmart. Their software is nowhere near CVS's and very redundant in many ways.

Ask whoever is hiring you about the % accuracy of the technicians and their error rate over the last 6 months. They should be able to pull up those reports for you and will respect you for asking. It's hit or miss with Walmart technicians. For every outlier you have another 9 subpar technicians.

Ask your recruiter for the YTD and current metrics. If the store is not green all the way in all ways, run and do it fast.

A lot of the time WM openings in "saturated areas" are for dumpster fires, ghetto and/or a white-trash nexus. And if you are PIC you will probably spend some time cleaning house tech-wise

Reactions: 1 user
That used to be an issue like 3-4 years ago and there'd be an entire page or more of those, but I rarely get wrong date rejects anymore. Like maybe a few a month. And I'm all the way on the East Coast. Where are you?
I'm not working overnights anymore. Glad to hear they fixed that.

Depending on state laws, techs might not be allowed to help replenish automation units & refilling half a machine might be unavoidable.

IT updates are fairly random with CVS, you just have to adapt/work around the issue (RTS, control/narc script folders, state counts, automation returns, inventory returns, strong pak, WLM, other maintenance stuff pinned on overnight) before QT & QP drop.

I would do what's best in terms of your health/QoL. The initial frustration of having to be retrained for different company & computer system & managing new technicians might be worth it if you plan on working another 10+ years in good health not having to shift work.

Workload wise ANYTHING is better than CVS. It's not just your area. Majority of my co-workers are ex-CVS burnt out.

Yeah I think it goes CVS-WG-RA-SWY-WM-KR for big companies. Not burn out yet but will happen at cvs plus if they move me to days I'd be in trouble

How long at WM? Techs are hit or miss at my current cvs, but most of my shift is solo...I'm surprise to hear the opinion CVS has better techs?

A lot of the time WM openings in "saturated areas" are for dumpster fires, ghetto and/or a white-trash nexus. And if you are PIC you will probably spend some time cleaning house tech-wise

How does staff/float spot compare across both cvs/wm? Not looking for pic spot. I hear good staffs make annual 5k+ bonus, paid lunch, good pto.

Depending on state laws, techs might not be allowed to help replenish automation units & refilling half a machine might be unavoidable.

IT updates are fairly random with CVS, you just have to adapt/work around the issue (RTS, control/narc script folders, state counts, automation returns, inventory returns, strong pak, WLM, other maintenance stuff pinned on overnight) before QT & QP drop.

I would do what's best in terms of your health/QoL. The initial frustration of having to be retrained for different company & computer system & managing new technicians might be worth it if you plan on working another 10+ years in good health not having to shift work.

Its kind of a tuff spot because I really enjoy my current spot on nights, but i know cant keep this up forever.

Yeah I think it goes CVS-WG-RA-SWY-WM-KR for big companies. Not burn out yet but will happen at cvs plus if they move me to days I'd be in trouble

How long at WM? Techs are hit or miss at my current cvs, but most of my shift is solo...I'm surprise to hear the opinion CVS has better techs?

How does staff/float spot compare across both cvs/wm? Not looking for pic spot. I hear good staffs make annual 5k+ bonus, paid lunch, good pto.

Its kind of a tuff spot because I really enjoy my current spot on nights, but i know cant keep this up forever.

CVS software is a beacon of efficiency. It's light. The number of clicks it takes you to accomplish a task is generally a good predictor of how efficient a software is.
CVS techs are always good. God bless them. As a rule, they don't earn very much. Yet they stay and do a good job. Stockholm syndrome? Maybe they fear getting bored elsewhere? I don't know. I won't comment on WM technicians. There's no need to.
Again, CVS technicians are great.

CVS tends to weed people out because slow-witted people can't really handle it whereas at WM there are (or used to be I suppos) a lot more support hours so weak employees can hide behind the actual good techs. This goes for RPH too. WM RPH are so weak-sauce for some reason, especially if they didn't know anything else, like if they started with WM from the beginning. Terrible pharmacists

My best techs by far were at CVS. They know product selection, how to problem-solve, know all the fringe insurance issues, etc. All the crappy techs I got rid of at Walmart could never hack it at CVS and are turtles, and some of these losers worked for WM for 10+ years. Then again the worst techs I've supervised by far happened to hang on at CVS due to lack of options.

Last edited:
CVS tends to weed people out because slow-witted people can't really handle it whereas at WM there are (or used to be I suppos) a lot more support hours so weak employees can hide behind the actual good techs. This goes for RPH too. WM RPH are so weak-sauce for some reason, especially if they didn't know anything else, like if they started with WM from the beginning. Terrible pharmacists

My best techs by far were at CVS. They know product selection, how to problem-solve, know all the fringe insurance issues, etc. All the crappy techs I got rid of at Walmart could never hack it at CVS and are turtles, and some of these losers worked for WM for 10+ years. Then again the worst techs I've supervised by far happened to hang on at CVS due to lack of options.

The issue at my cvs is that tech frequently get good skill set then immediately leave for higher paying retails that are less busy.
How are tech hrs at your WM? my cvs is 250 hrs for 3300 rx, at WM I was told 170 hrs for 1200 rx.