CV Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knockoutMice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So in ERAS your publications get arranged in alphabetical order.

Would it be fine if I number them in order to highlight my most important publications?
Would I risk looked down upon if I do that? I just don't want my important research to get lost among my other case reports or trivial publications.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the reply.
Can you please explain the reason behind your response? I would really appreciate it!

My rationality is that I have over 30 publications. A lot of them are either not related to my specialty or are case reports.
I strongly feel that interviewers won't have time time review the title of all the publications to decide which ones are relevant which ones are not.
Hence I wanted to put the most relevant ones at the top.

What would be the negative consequences of numbering my publications in a desired order?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply.
Can you please explain the reason behind your response? I would really appreciate it!

My rationality is that I have over 30 publications. A lot of them are either not related to my specialty or are case reports.
I strongly feel that interviewers won't have time time review the title of all the publications to decide which ones are relevant which ones are not.
Hence I wanted to put the most relevant ones at the top.

What would be the negative consequences of numbering my publications in a desired order?
I look for where your name is in the author list, then the journal, then the date. Those are the only things I really bother with.

Agreed. If you have papers in Blood or JCO, people reviewing your application will find them. I don't think numbering will necessarily hurt you but its not standard.

I had another CV related question.

Would interviewer's care if I am the corresponding author on 90% of my publications?
I was thinking of putting a * on the corresponding author of each of my publications.

There's no way to mention what the * means in ERAS CV, but I can tell it to the interviewers if/when they ask me about it?

Being corresponding author I feel involves a lot of work and it would be nice if that effort is noted and appreciated?

What do you guys think?

I honestly don't think it matters much either way. Programs that care about your pubs will review them all. Alphabetical ordering is pretty pointless -- ERAS should either sort them by date backwards (newest on the top), or allow you to sort them in whatever order you want.