Currently on LOA - when to take step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TestType

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've posted about a month ago asking for advice --

So basically, after my M2 was over, my depression/GAD finally got better of me (I'm still surprised I manage to pass all classes) - it took a while to find the right medication, but I'm currently seeing a counselor + getting medication.

Dean has been very understanding, and he gave me a extension to take step 1 & jump back onto my rotation by September, but I just haven't been able to consistently study for step 1 (sleeping 14-16 hours/day...).

Fast forward to now, and I've reached out to Dean again for 1-year LOA; it sounded like our school doesn't have a policy for "research year" (will just show LOA on transcript instead of "research year") but I would still be allowed to stay on school & participate research - so I'm thinking LOA to get better & participate in research & study for step 1 might not be a bad idea.

I've contacted several labs on our school regarding doing research- however, I'm just not sure when to take step 1. Should I take step 1 first before jumping onto research? (it won't be until ~October/November I start doing research; will PD be "curious" as why I didn't start research in early summer?). If I were to take step 1 next summer, will residency PD think that I spent a whole year studying for step 1?

I've wasted too much time (~about 2+ months now..) in my bed, and I was told that LOA (especially from mental illness) raises a red flag for PD... I'm trying to minimize the fallout. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you so much for your time.

I never thought I was this weak and I couldn't manage depression... I need to get back on my feet but it feels like I just forgot how.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

So basically, after my M2 was over, my depression/GAD finally got better of me (I'm still surprised I manage to pass all classes) - it took a while to find the right medication, but I'm currently seeing a counselor + getting medication.

Dean has been very understanding, and he gave me a extension to take step 1 & jump back onto my rotation by September, but I just haven't been able to consistently study for step 1 (sleeping 14-16 hours/day...).

Fast forward to now, and I've reached out to Dean again for 1-year LOA; it sounded like our school doesn't have a policy for "research year" (will just show LOA on transcript instead of "research year") but I would still be allowed to stay on school & participate research - so I'm thinking LOA to get better & participate in research & study for step 1 might not be a bad idea.

I've contacted several labs on our school regarding doing research- however, I'm just not sure when to take step 1. Should I take step 1 first before jumping onto research? (it won't be until ~October/November I start doing research; will PD be "curious" as why I didn't start research in early summer?). If I were to take step 1 next summer, will residency PD think that I spent a whole year studying for step 1?

I've wasted too much time (~about 2+ months now..) in my bed, and I was told that LOA (especially from mental illness) raises a red flag for PD... I'm trying to minimize the fallout. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you so much for your time.

I never thought I was this weak and I couldn't manage depression... I need to get back on my feet but it feels like I just forgot how.

Very sorry to hear of your woes, OP, and my simple advice is to take Step I only when you are 100% ready. Mental illness isn't a sign of weakness. It's a real disease, as real as lupus, pneumonia or cancer.

Would you have written "I never thought I was this weak and I couldn't manage glaucoma"????

Reactions: 1 users

This episode isn't going to be a positive for your application. The best thing you can do is perform very well on step 1. If you have the whole year off and take step 1 after nine months of no school/clinicals it won't help anything if your score is bad. Stay away from research entirely until you are done with step 1, research doesn't matter with a failed step 1 in combination with a LOA due to a mental illness (just the reality).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This episode isn't going to be a positive for your application. The best thing you can do is perform very well on step 1. If you have the whole year off and take step 1 after nine months of no school/clinicals it won't help anything if your school is bad. Stay away from research entirely until you are done with step 1, research doesn't matter with a failed step 1 in combination with a LOA due to a mental illness (just the reality).

Might not be a positive on the application, but may be positive for life.

Take step1 when you are ready for step1.

It's illogical to take a whole year off for step1 just to rush step 1 in a few months.

That being said, regardless of the test timing....use some of your waking hours to be studying each day. Don't go backwards

Might not be a positive on the application, but may be positive for life.

Definitely a positive for life. All things being equal, a PD is most likely to pick the applicant without a history of mental illness which is why doing well on step 1 is important.

Definitely a positive for life. All things being equal, a PD is most likely to pick the applicant without a history of mental illness which is why doing well on step 1 is important.

Unfortunate, but accurate. It is also important to remember that "all things being equal" is hypothetical. I never seen two applicants have all things equal.

Unfortunate, but accurate. It is also important to remember that "all things being equal" is hypothetical. I never seen two applicants have all things equal.

Obviously, that goes without saying. Applicants may be relatively equal and that is where mental illness could hinder an applicant.