Current Residents-- Do you use an iWatch and/or would it be useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bru

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am being offered a tech gift for graduation.

I looked at the apple watch (series 2 42mm) but I couldn't figure out if I would find it useful as a resident.

What are people's experiences? I saw there was apparently an Epic apple watch app that might be useful but not sure beyond that...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think an iPad mini would be more useful if you don't have one. I have several textbooks on mine plus I can bring up images on rounds.

I don't have an iWatch but some of my co-residents do. I don't know that they find it useful for work, more of a fun toy that can also be used as a fitness tracker.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah we get an iPad mini from the residency so that is covered.

Not currently a fitness tracker kind of person so that isn't as compelling a reason.

Anyone use actually use one?

Several of my co-residents and attendings have one and they all love theirs. Seems to be really convenient for seeing texts/emails without having to whip out your phone. I guess you can also set reminders using it and even call people? I don't personally use one but I have been considering it as a "yay got through intern year" gift to myself. Especially for next year when I'll be carrying a hospital phone and 2 pagers, and most of my work pants don't have pockets, I don't think the cell phone is going to make the cut for taking with me throughout the hospital. Still on the fence though, which means I should probably just avoid it and save that money.

The Haiku and Limerick apps on epic looks neat but I can't help feeling that I am trying to talk myself into this as well.

I've worn an Iwatch for about the last year or so. As mentioned above the thing I use it for the most is seeing texts, emails, and calls without having to get out my phone. When I'm with a patient I can take a quick glance and see if it's something urgent or something that can wait, especially if someone is hammer texting me.

The other thing I use it for is my schedule. The face I use updates with my next appointment in my calendar. (Not patient appt, but whatever Meeting I'm supposed to be at, etc). This is quite helpful throughout the day as I get busy and sometimes forget I'm supposed to be at XYZ meeting at lunch on Wednesday.

It is not a great fitness tracker in my opinion. Overall, I have found it quite handy but it's not a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
The Haiku and Limerick apps on epic looks neat but I can't help feeling that I am trying to talk myself into this as well.

Haiku is excellent on the phone. Super quick to check labs, messages, clinic schedules. I don't know how that would translate to an apple watch app.

I find the watch useful because I wear scrubs without a white coat and don't have much pocket space to carry around my phone. I can leave my phone in the locker room / at my desk and still have access to texts and basic functionality.

I find the watch useful because I wear scrubs without a white coat and don't have much pocket space to carry around my phone. I can leave my phone in the locker room / at my desk and still have access to texts and basic functionality.

How far away from your phone are you during these instances?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Huge fan of the Apple Watch here for the reasons above, as an Anesthesiology resident keeps me much more hands free and less dependent on having my phone at my fingertips. Text is basically our primary form of communication between providers now in the OR. It has built in quick responses to text as well.

I have found that using it is less intrusive than pulling out a phone. We also use a secure messaging app (phasing out pagers), which has a notification for the Apple Watch. It has come to be especially useful when giving off the impression you are giving people your undivided attention.

I used to like that a pager, when going off, would give me an "out" to leave some pretty undesirable situations. The watch is a more sensible solution, but it looks silly to point to your watch and say, "I just got paged".

Last edited:
I'm certain I would not have a use for seeing Epic results on my wrist.

Yeah that would definitely not be a reason for me to get it. I rarely ever use Haiku on my phone and it's really just to check my clinic schedule to see if I have enough time to grab lunch or if a patient is in a room already.

I have an original Pebble I got for $30. Water/blood/etc proof, cheap, always on display, can see calls/texts without pulling out my phone (great if you have a family/kids - can tell if it is urgent or not with a quick glance), shows weather, stop watch for codes/RSI meds, etc. Plus it is nice to be able to flip through songs easily while driving using the watch instead of having to fumble with my phone (I'm too poor for a car with bluetooth - still using the headphone jack).

I love it and definitely wouldn't go back. Not sure I could justify the cost of an iWatch but the Pebble is perfect for me. It's a shame they were bought out.