PhD/PsyD deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One cohort made fake DSM diagnosis that capture department staff. I think one created superhero alter egos. My cohort is at a loss of what to do... Do you have any ideas?

Why is this expected of you?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they harry potter fans? You could do a "sorting hat" type thing on them (staff at my internship are big on Harry Potter)

Reactions: 1 users
At my program we had students submit quoted from profs. These were displayed on a wall and people had to guess who said which quotes. There was a prize for the winner. There was also a beginning of year one where we did something similar with little known, interesting facts about profs. Cohorts before us had made videos where they impersonated profs sitting in each other's classes but that sounded like way too much work and too risky of offending some of the more thin-skinned profs.

thank goodness no one ever made me do something like this.

celebrity look a likes?

May be more of an unwritten expectation. Every training program I've been affiliated with has had an end of the year celebration type party where something similar happens.

We have party, and I'm sure we would welcome something similar, I just meant it seemed strange to have this as something that is "expected"- like it was some sort of assignment or project or something. Not exactly something I would want on my to-do list as I transition from training year to real adult life.

"Psychological effects of turning papers in late: a sampling of immature and mature coping strategies".

Reactions: 1 user
Can you just throw them a pizza party or something what the hell

This is the kind of thing you do as a natural result of a good relationship. It seems really weird to force it.
Agreed. My tongue-in-cheek response is to suggest something so outrageously inappropriate that they never do this again. I've always worked with laid back people and have had great relationships with most of my faculty, but traditions like this always annoy me...

One cohort made fake DSM diagnosis that capture department staff. I think one created superhero alter egos. My cohort is at a loss of what to do... Do you have any ideas?
Oh. Make a little board game of internship. Internship Life or Internopoly or something.
Inoffensive. Funny. Easy. Fine.

First, create uniforms and name badges. Then, assign some to be "prisoners" and some to be "guards" ...

Reactions: 10 users
We've done these at past sites as well. Some ideas we either did or were proposed:

- Write a song/poem
- Make up a list of "advice" to future interns that are jokes about the supervisors
- Hide psych themed memes around the offices
- Hang things upside-down or backwards
- Bring in A LOT of some kind of food that is popular in the office
- Give each supervisor a gag gift and make them guess why they got it

This sounds fun but can only be done if the faculty at your internship can actually "handle the truth." I'm assuming your rapport with them is on the colleague side rather than the master wizard/student side. don't wanna be a downer, but just want to be sure that you won't have hell to pay later..