current highschool student trying to find out their career path...RN or OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitlyn.w0009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! im currently a sophomore in highschool. before i start yes, i am aware there are many differences between being an OT versus and RN, but they are my decisions so far. Im not sure which path would be the right one for me. Im going to be paying for all of my college, so i dont know how suitable it would be for be to get my BA then go to OT school, versus getting my BSN (which i know can be expensive as well). Also, im worried if i go to get my BA in psychology, and dont get accepted into OT school, ill pretty much have a less than stellar degree under my belt. I like the rehabilitative side to OT, so if i did take the RN route id try to work somewhere similar to there. I also like the therapeutic side to OT as well. However, becoming an RN may be more financially responsible and i feel as if i have more flexibility in the field regarding where id like to work. yes, OT as some flexibility as well, but id only have to get a Bachelors if i became an RN. im just really lost, if any has any experience in the RN and/or OT field and have any sort of advice, it would be very helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

RN opens up more options down the line, from midlevel practice to management. OT is a great field, and you can use a BSN to get there. So a BSN leads to all roads, while a psych degree or similar could lead you nowhere. I'd say go for the BSN, if you can handle being a nurse.

Reactions: 3 users
Since you're going to need to make a decision, volunteering at a hospital and/or a nursing home for the next two years would be a good investment. My parents used a lot of OT when they were in nursing homes after surgeries so if you volunteer there you might be able to find an OT who would allow you to "shadow" them. Volunteering in a hospital may also expose you to OTs but there I would focus on nurses and nursing. But @Mad Jack is correct - Nursing has 1000s of career paths so if you don't like bedside nursing, you could be an insurance nurse or a school nurse or a nurse researcher or an NP. You can be a clinical nurse instructor, a doctor's nurse in a private practice, an OR nurse. And then for NPs you could be a mid-wife, a Family Practitioner, a Neonatal NP, a psychiatric/mental health NP, a geriatric NP etc etc etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.