Current 2nd years, how was 1st year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know each of the 9 schools has a somewhat unique curriculum than the rest. I also know that we all have own study habits and methods and what worked for you may not work for me. That said, I'm hoping for some opinions from current 2nd years about the following questions. Thanks for your time!!

How did you study for classes during the first year?

How many hours a day did you study?

Did you have a life outside of the classrooms & lectures, like a hobby, going out, or any social life?

Did you use resources outside of lecture PPTs?

Any particular first-year subject that was more difficult than others?

Members don't see this ad.

I know each of the 9 schools has a somewhat unique curriculum than the rest. I also know that we all have own study habits and methods and what worked for you may not work for me. That said, I'm hoping for some opinions from current 2nd years about the following questions. Thanks for your time!!

Did you have a life outside of the classrooms & lectures, like a hobby, going out, or any social life?

I'm starting 2nd year at Temple.

To the best of my abilities, I memorized the PowerPoints for our lectures. That was enough to earn me a 95 overall average. Might've been around a 4.0 GPA but Temple doesn't do letter grades or rounding. I used little to no resources outside of what was provided.

Hours per day would be hard to say. I didn't attend class and probably devoted about 40 hours per week towards school (e.g., listening to recorded lectures, typing notes, studying) depending on the upcoming quiz/exam schedule. It wouldn't have been super feasible to study that much if I had attended every class. But also there is a huge range in how much people studied. Some studied much more than me for particular exams and did worse. A lot of it will depend on how organized you are, whether you tailor your studying for how you learn best, and innate ability.

I wouldn't say I had any hobbies but I did have time to relax, play video games, watch Netflix, watch movies, and hit bars. You can still do it all, you just need to scale back a bit and figure out your priorities. Some weeks, you'll definitely be able to do nothing but study, but a lot of weeks you will find some free time.

At Temple the hardest subject 1st year in my opinion was a combined histology and embryology class where the final was cumulative and worth like 40% of the overall grade. The anatomy classes gave a good number of people trouble, especially those who hadn't taken anatomy before.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback @bobtheweazel

Did you use Anki or flashcards, in general, to memorize or just your own notes from the ppts were sufficient?
Not attending Temple, but are you guys graded on a pass/fail system? Thanks!
I didn't use flashcards, digital or otherwise. A friend of mine used flashcards religiously and his grades seemed to be comparable to mine. I made a Google doc of all info from the PowerPoints which allowed me to rearrange or edit the information so that it meshed well with the way I think and study. Then I memorized those notes.

Also, from what I've seen so far it looks like Temple just gives you a standard percentile grade then averages those to get your overall "GPA". There's no pass/fail and it requires like a 70 or something to pass a particular class.

So my overall GPA is a 95.40 and I'll attach my grades for this last semester below so you can see how the grading is.

dd4cc0b956035703a2057a7abea23c2f.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't use flashcards, digital or otherwise. A friend of mine used flashcards religiously and his grades seemed to be comparable to mine. I made a Google doc of all info from the PowerPoints which allowed me to rearrange or edit the information so that it meshed well with the way I think and study. Then I memorized those notes.

Also, from what I've seen so far it looks like Temple just gives you a standard percentile grade then averages those to get your overall "GPA". There's no pass/fail and it requires like a 70 or something to pass a particular class.

So my overall GPA is a 95.40 and I'll attach my grades for this last semester below so you can see how the grading is.

dd4cc0b956035703a2057a7abea23c2f.jpg

Wow, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am starting next wk at KSUCPM!!!!! Impressive Bob

Great to hear you're doing well bob!

Reactions: 1 user
Like you said, what works for some people will not work for others. Try a few things, decide what you like, and stick to a great schedule

I went to class at first, but by the end of first semester I stopped. I was studying or doing lectures in the library all day. I treated it like a 9-5 job. After 5 I went home and chilled, made dinner, and studied more until I got tired. I never pushed myself too hard in the evening

Like I said I treated it like a 9-5 job plus an hour or 2 after dinner depending on how I was feeling. I wasn't constantly studying during those times, sometimes I was watching lectures. On the weekends I studied for 2-6 hours on Saturday (depending on exams) and most of the day on Sunday

Yes, you need to make time for this stuff. The golden rule is whatever you did before this, continue it. I took off every Friday and Sat night no matter what. I made time to lift, go out, play video games, watch movies, all that stuff. You need to shut your brain down and give it a break

Not really. I found our professors notes efficient. We get stuff passed down to us from second years so occasionally I'd supplement with that

All-in-all the classes are individually fine. If I took every class individually, only focusing on the 1 class, a 4.0 would be easy. It's when you combine all the classes together which makes it hard. For a short answer to your question, I guess neuro was pretty hard

Reactions: 2 users
I just finished my 1st year at KSUCPM and am starting my 2nd year tomorrow. I generally used the professor's power points, although in a handful of cases I consulted textbooks and outside resources. For the classes where class notes were great, I used those pretty much exclusively. In the classes where the notes weren't great, I consulted outside resources (Sketchy, textbooks, passed down notes, online videos etc.). I found Quizlet to be good when confronted with material that was straight memorization rather than conceptual.

I'd say I spent 8-10 hours a day studying on average. Some days I studied comparatively little to maintain some semblance of a life, and some days (generally during crunch time) I would spend pretty much all day.

I didn't find any course individually difficult. Compared to undergraduate classes I took on particle physics and inorganic chemistry, everything I've studied so far in podiatry school has been conceptually easy. It's the volume of information that you're expected to learn that's difficult. Everyone has their weaknesses, although generally Gross and Lower Limb Anatomy tend to be killers for people who don't stay on top of it. Immunology was particularly difficult for me, but that's mostly because I had very little exposure to it prior.

Reactions: 2 users

Finished 1yr at scholl.

1. In hindsight, I should've studied more. There were days where I just didn't bother to look at notes and that did hurt me somewhat. I would usually study 4-7 hours a day, depending on the class. The golden rule for me is that you should Always have something to study. It might be difficult to do right away, but I would also suggest in trying to study/review multiple topics, rather than going ham on one.

2. Not much of a social person myself lol but you can easily have a social life, if you have active classmates.

3. For other sources, the only thing I can think of is sketchy micro for microbio.

4. I feel that having difficulty in class is up to the individual. Some people thought lower was at times difficult, but I thought differently. Personally, I struggled with neuro, and biomechanics.

Feel free to pm me with any other questions!

I'm starting 2nd year at Temple.

To the best of my abilities, I memorized the PowerPoints for our lectures. That was enough to earn me a 95 overall average. Might've been around a 4.0 GPA but Temple doesn't do letter grades or rounding. I used little to no resources outside of what was provided.

Hours per day would be hard to say. I didn't attend class and probably devoted about 40 hours per week towards school (e.g., listening to recorded lectures, typing notes, studying) depending on the upcoming quiz/exam schedule. It wouldn't have been super feasible to study that much if I had attended every class. But also there is a huge range in how much people studied. Some studied much more than me for particular exams and did worse. A lot of it will depend on how organized you are, whether you tailor your studying for how you learn best, and innate ability.

I wouldn't say I had any hobbies but I did have time to relax, play video games, watch Netflix, watch movies, and hit bars. You can still do it all, you just need to scale back a bit and figure out your priorities. Some weeks, you'll definitely be able to do nothing but study, but a lot of weeks you will find some free time.

At Temple the hardest subject 1st year in my opinion was a combined histology and embryology class where the final was cumulative and worth like 40% of the overall grade. The anatomy classes gave a good number of people trouble, especially those who hadn't taken anatomy before.

I just sent you a PM but figured it would be easier this way lol You didn't attend classes at Temple? I thought they were mandatory or do they just say that to you? I'd love to be able to have some time where I could just study on my own so if class attendance isn't mandatory that would be awesome

@bobtheweazel out here makin' us peons at the middle of the bell curve look bad

Congrats on a great 1st year!

I just sent you a PM but figured it would be easier this way lol You didn't attend classes at Temple? I thought they were mandatory or do they just say that to you? I'd love to be able to have some time where I could just study on my own so if class attendance isn't mandatory that would be awesome
Sorry, didn't get a push notification for this one.

If the administration had it their way, classes would be mandatory, but in the end it's up to each individual course director and most of our classes have not been mandatory. The only mandatory things are labs or group projects. Even the classes where attendance is a part of the grade is technically not mandatory, you might just miss out on a few points.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited: