This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
like much of North Dakota, South Dakota, rural Minnesota, rural Iowa, rural Wisconsin, southern Illinois, rural Missouri, etc. end up showing and aggressively advertising/recruiting much, much higher offers than metro areas even a few hours drive away. Take a look at popular job sites or talk to people working in those places and you'll see what people are talking about.

I think the pattern you are describing reflects in many ways bigger social forces. A well trained NE academic psychiatrist may very well consider a job in Twin Cities, and even have friends there, but would NEVER EVER in a million years consider a job in rural Wisconsin, or even rural New Hampshire (which in substance are actually much closer in each other in terms of life style than the lifestyle of living in Boston, which is maybe "a 2-3 hour drive away"). There are lots of newspaper articles about "Two Americas". I think this is a reflection of this. Regional differences get easily trounced by the "urban-rural divide".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, currently a Medical student... Thinking a little about psychiatry. But I heard mixed reviews from psychiatry getting the short end of the stick, not having lots patients, low pay, etc...

What is generally the average salary psychiatry? I did my own research and saw its in the range of 180k starting... Could be 200+k of course with the obvious working more hours.

How does psychiatry salary, demand, lifestyle compare to that of Physical medicine, neurology, family med, internal med. ...

Is it also very stressful???

Hi all, currently a Medical student... Thinking a little about psychiatry. But I heard mixed reviews from psychiatry getting the short end of the stick, not having lots patients, low pay, etc...

What is generally the average salary psychiatry? I did my own research and saw its in the range of 180k starting... Could be 200+k of course with the obvious working more hours.

How does psychiatry salary, demand, lifestyle compare to that of Physical medicine, neurology, family med, internal med. ...

Is it also very stressful???

Stayed on at my home institution in Chicago. I don't think anyone is taking starting jobs for less than 250 for adult inpatient with minimal call, loan repayment, covered malpractice andoption to do telepsych and/or develop private practice; inpatient responsibilities can be as time consuming as you want to make them and I think that 30 clinical hours a week is a pretty realistic estimate. Most jobs I've seen advertised are minimal call (like super minimal).

In terms of east coast stuff, we get tons of job ads sent to us by our coordinator. I've seen as high as 500k in Richmond va (with minimal call). I've also seen open psychiatrist only office space in nyny for 500$/day advertised, so I think it's safe to say that you can do well enough to afford that kind of lease.

Child, forensics, addiction and geri command their own salaries and there are many ways to work your practice to do very, very well.

Reactions: 1 user