Curiosity about AEGD/GPR residencies.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hagaraf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm nearing the end of my first year in dental school and I've talked to a lot of older students who have said that in dental school they get very little exposure to several things I'm interested in (molar endo, ortho, implant placement, and sedation dentistry). I've heard that some of the AEGD/GPR residencies, especially those through VA hospitals, give good exposure to working on these types of cases and was wondering what peoples' experiences with these types of residencies have been. I've considered doing a traditional residency in oral surgery but I like the variety of general practice. It seems as though many procedures I'm interested in doing are possible to learn through CE courses, but I would feel more confident in my skills if I had learned those procedures in a residency setting, rather than from a product rep. I appreciate any and all advice that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm nearing the end of my first year in dental school and I've talked to a lot of older students who have said that in dental school they get very little exposure to several things I'm interested in (molar endo, ortho, implant placement, and sedation dentistry). I've heard that some of the AEGD/GPR residencies, especially those through VA hospitals, give good exposure to working on these types of cases and was wondering what peoples' experiences with these types of residencies have been. I've considered doing a traditional residency in oral surgery but I like the variety of general practice. It seems as though many procedures I'm interested in doing are possible to learn through CE courses, but I would feel more confident in my skills if I had learned those procedures in a residency setting, rather than from a product rep. I appreciate any and all advice that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!
I did AEGD program with Lutheran and the program was more focused on pedo and oral surgery. Lot of trauma cases and OR experiences. I enjoyed doing both pedo and oral surgery and therefore it was perfect fit for me. I have to say that endo training was pretty much limited. After I graduated from AEGD I took several endo CE classes to get updated. Each AEGD program has its own strengths and limitations. Choose the program based on your needs. I strongly encourage that you do either AEGD or GPR before you go in to practice. I don't have personal experience about VA based AEGD or GPR but heard good things about it.

No residency is going to give you everything you want. Prioritize what you want out of a residency and then research the programs to see how they fit into your wants and needs. VA programs are generally strong in most areas but no ortho, no pedo, and minimal esthetics. Not all VA programs are created equally as well. Do your homework and hopefully you'll get in somewhere that will help you achieve your goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
do GPR AEGD require ADAT?

Bump. Does anyone know of any programs with solid experience in endo and os?