This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemiLovato

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone else applied to the program (I applied to option 1) and is waiting for their decision? In previous threads, they said they received a phone call AND THEN a follow up email? However, I got an email early May (earlier than I expected, I thought there was something wrong with my app) saying I got accepted. Then, nothing. Just wanted to know how other people are holding up.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Was just wondering if anyone else applied to the program (I applied to option 1) and is waiting for their decision? In previous threads, they said they received a phone call AND THEN a follow up email? However, I got an email early May (earlier than I expected, I thought there was something wrong with my app) saying I got accepted. Then, nothing. Just wanted to know how other people are holding up.

I got tired of waiting so I contacted them and just found out today that I was not accepted to the option 2 program. Very very disappointed since this is my third rejection from a post-bacc program. I have been rejected from; u of vermont, USC, & now csula. I preferred a formal post-bacc certificate program but I guess I'm just not intelligent enough for them. I thought about applying to Mills College, but after what I've been through, I am certain they would reject me. So, all I'm left with is Portland State Univ. and getting a THIRD yes THIRD bachelor's from them in science. I have two BA's from different schools, fyi. But tbh, I am not feeling good about my life and career at this point. I just can't get it all together and I'm pushing mid-30s. Sorry for the whining, heh, it's been a crappy few years for me. As for your situation, here is the person I contacted about my application. They are very responsive.

Hyunsook Park, PhD.
Director, Health Careers Advisement Office
Office: ASCL 353
Tel: (323) 343-5284

Email: [email protected]

I got tired of waiting so I contacted them and just found out today that I was not accepted to the option 2 program. Very very disappointed since this is my third rejection from a post-bacc program. I have been rejected from; u of vermont, USC, & now csula. I preferred a formal post-bacc certificate program but I guess I'm just not intelligent enough for them. I thought about applying to Mills College, but after what I've been through, I am certain they would reject me. So, all I'm left with is Portland State Univ. and getting a THIRD yes THIRD bachelor's from them in science. I have two BA's from different schools, fyi. But tbh, I am not feeling good about my life and career at this point. I just can't get it all together and I'm pushing mid-30s. Sorry for the whining, heh, it's been a crappy few years for me. As for your situation, here is the person I contacted about my application. They are very responsive.

Hyunsook Park, PhD.
Director, Health Careers Advisement Office
Office: ASCL 353
Tel: (323) 343-5284

Email: [email protected]
What about applying to CSU Fullerton program next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about applying to CSU Fullerton program next year?
I don't know. I just applied to the ucla extension pre-medicine/gen. science certificate program. I might just try that in the fall. I don't live in California though, but I want to move from this place I live in,.

I don't know. I just applied to the ucla extension pre-medicine/gen. science certificate program. I might just try that in the fall. I don't live in California though, but I want to move from this place I live in,.
UCLA Extension is an open admission program, anyone can sign up. I'm not saying it's bad but your classes will be huge (plus there is no guaranteed registration for classes you need). It's also a little bit pricey for an informal post bacc without any linkages.
If I were you, I would take a year of inorganic Chem at any community college and in January apply to CSUF as a career finisher. You can read about their program online.

UCLA Extension is an open admission program, anyone can sign up. I'm not saying it's bad but your classes will be huge (plus there is no guaranteed registration for classes you need). It's also a little bit pricey for an informal post bacc without any linkages.
If I were you, I would take a year of inorganic Chem at any community college and in January apply to CSUF as a career finisher. You can read about their program online.

I don't know about that, I looked it over and seems like a waste of time for me. I've been rejected by similar programs, I've been trying get these courses completed for years now. I just want to finish them and apply to medical school before I get too old. I've been scouring the web and have only found negative things about UCLA ex. & it's frustrating.

I don't know about that, I looked it over and seems like a waste of time for me. I've been rejected by similar programs, I've been trying get these courses completed for years now. I just want to finish them and apply to medical school before I get too old. I've been scouring the web and have only found negative things about UCLA ex. & it's frustrating.
Do you mind me asking why you don't want to take those classes at a community college? Same classes, usually better professors AND you will save a lot of money.

Do you mind me asking why you don't want to take those classes at a community college? Same classes, usually better professors AND you will save a lot of money.
Don't medical schools look down on that? Taking all prerequisites at a community college? I know one med school I am planning to apply to, University of Arizona accepts cc courses. Anyway, I live in rural South Dakota and we don't have a community college here. The closest college is over two hours away and I've tried it already. I don't know how to explain my situation, but I just have to get away from here.

Don't medical schools look down on that? Taking all prerequisites at a community college? I know one med school I am planning to apply to, University of Arizona accepts cc courses. Anyway, I live in rural South Dakota and we don't have a community college here. The closest college is over two hours away and I've tried it already. I don't know how to explain my situation, but I just have to get away from here.
You can still move to any state you want and attend community college there.
Medical schools generally don't really care where you completed your core prereqs unless you're planning on applying to Cornell or Havard. What you need is a strong GPA, especially in those core science courses. Get those A's, shadow docs, volunteer in some local hospital, and ace the MCAT. Don't waste your money on UCLA.

You can still move to any state you want and attend community college there.
Medical schools generally don't really care where you completed your core prereqs unless you're planning on applying to Cornell or Havard. What you need is a strong GPA, especially in those core science courses. Get those A's, shadow docs, volunteer in some local hospital, and ace the MCAT. Don't waste your money on UCLA.
I appreciate the advice, thanks! Do you anything about Santa Monica College?

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the advice, thanks! Do you anything about Santa Monica College?
Of course! Let me know if you have any other questions about the process or maybe just about the area. I'm from Southern CA. And Santa Monica is a really good college. You'll find a lot of great professors there:)

Of course! Let me know if you have any other questions about the process or maybe just about the area. I'm from Southern CA. And Santa Monica is a really good college. You'll find a lot of great professors there:)
What's the living situation like? My concern is that i won't find an affordable place to live.

What's the living situation like? My concern is that i won't find an affordable place to live.
If not California, any other states are fine as well. If affordability is your main concern I would suggest against california bc we're known for high cost of living (especially in LA area or SF area, which are the places you seem to be looking into). I'm from here so CSULA seemed very reasonable for me because I can actually commute from home (with my parents!). There's always Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Nevada, etc.

I'm also graduating from UCLA this coming June, and I will be frank. UCLA extension is only good if you just want to take one or two classes and have the money to spend cause it is expensive. If you were applying for a formal premed program to boost your GPA and finish prereqs, it is best to finish it in community college. As long as you have all the required classes, have a competitive MCAT score and GPA, and have EQs, it'll work out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If not California, any other states are fine as well. If affordability is your main concern I would suggest against california bc we're known for high cost of living (especially in LA area or SF area, which are the places you seem to be looking into). I'm from here so CSULA seemed very reasonable for me because I can actually commute from home (with my parents!). There's always Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Nevada, etc.

I'm also graduating from UCLA this coming June, and I will be frank. UCLA extension is only good if you just want to take one or two classes and have the money to spend cause it is expensive. If you were applying for a formal premed program to boost your GPA and finish prereqs, it is best to finish it in community college. As long as you have all the required classes, have a competitive MCAT score and GPA, and have EQs, it'll work out.

It would be less expensive for me to take the courses at SMC vs. Portland state where i was also accepted. I was looking up apartment rentals on zillow & they were pricey, for the most part. The cheapest being $600 a month which I could afford. I'm single and have no family to support so I don't have to worry about that. And with smc I wouldn't have to take out loans, as I can easily pay out of pocket.

It would be less expensive for me to take the courses at SMC vs. Portland state where i was also accepted. I was looking up apartment rentals on zillow & they were pricey, for the most part. The cheapest being $600 a month which I could afford. I'm single and have no family to support so I don't have to worry about that. And with smc I wouldn't have to take out loans, as I can easily pay out of pocket.
Also look into Orange County community colleges. Orange County is such an awesome place to live. Check out Saddleback College, Irvine Valley College, Fullerton College, and Santa Ana college. Saddleback and Irvine are sister colleges so you can take classes at both of them.

There are many community colleges in San Fernanado Valley as well. Pierce College, College of the Canyons, LA Valley College, etc.

Hello,

I applied to the program and was accepted. I'm currently signing up for post bac classes. Are you in the same boat as me? Just trying to pick the most reasonable classes

I applied to the program and was accepted. I'm currently signing up for post bac classes. Are you in the same boat as me? Just trying to pick the most reasonable classes

Yep! Just waiting for Dr. Park to enroll me into the classes. It's been kinda lagging tho, don't know why.

What classes are you taking this semester?:)

Yep! Just waiting for Dr. Park to enroll me into the classes. It's been kinda lagging tho, don't know why.

If you email her asking for permission to enroll then you should be good. What classes are you taking?

Not sure yet, still working that out. Wondering if I should take the molecular genetics.. just interested to see if any past students have took it before and their thoughts on it. What are you taking?

If you email her asking for permission to enroll then you should be good. What classes are you taking?

I'm taking:
3400 Cell Biology & Gen (won't count for the 18 units for the program, but will count for science UD gpa and also help with MCAT review!)
4330 Intro to Physio I
4350 Neurobiology
4390 Endocrinology

How about you?

I'm taking:
3400 Cell Biology & Gen (won't count for the 18 units for the program, but will count for science UD gpa and also help with MCAT review!)
4330 Intro to Physio I
4350 Neurobiology
4390 Endocrinology

Are you also takign the program or have you already taken it? I can't quite remember if you already mentioned either.

I'm taking:
4330 Intro to Physio I
4350 Neurobiology
4390 Endocrinology

Are you also takign the program or have you already taken it? I can't quite remember if you already mentioned either.

Oh okay, makes sense about what you said in regards to the cell bio class because I remember Dr. Park mentioning to take 4000 level courses. I'm taking the program this will be my first semester :) I'm assuming it's yours as well?

Oh okay, makes sense about what you said in regards to the cell bio class because I remember Dr. Park mentioning to take 4000 level courses. I'm taking the program this will be my first semester :) I'm assuming it's yours as well?

Yeah, I've heard from previous students that it's best to take one 3000s (the easier the better) with 3 other 4000s bc it still counts for your science UD GPA. It will also be my first semester. Will you be attending the Grad Student Orientation? I remember from Dr. Park that she'll try to set up a meeting for us to meet our cohort but every time I email her she never really answers that part of it. Kind of disappointed.

Yes, I'll be attending. Will you? I agree, I would like to meet some fellow classmates as well in this program just so we can have a potential study group/ group of students going through the same thing as one another. I've heard there's only 10 of us for this Fall.

I will not. But yes! If you don't mind, you can dm me your email so I can start a FB group. I don't see why CSULA don't already do this but it be a good start!

Yes, I'll be attending. Will you? I agree, I would like to meet some fellow classmates as well in this program just so we can have a potential study group/ group of students going through the same thing as one another. I've heard there's only 10 of us for this Fall.

Hi! Did you plan on going to SMC?