CSPM financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinklein

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering if anyone at cspm has heard back about financial aid. I still haven't received any news about FAFSA and wasn't offered any scholarship as well. Not sure if this is because I was still in school when I was accepted. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received email from financial aid office on 6/2. It tells you the steps that log in to SMU Total Access.

PS. Does anyone one know if there is another CSPM 2021 Facebook group? The email they sent us is not a group. It just an user they created:shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
I received email from financial aid office on 6/2. It tells you the steps that log in to SMU Total Access.

PS. Does anyone one know if there is another CSPM 2021 Facebook group? The email they sent us is not a group. It just an user they created:shrug:

I was added to the group.

Did not get the financial aid office email.

PM me maybe I can add you.

Were you able to see your award letter?. I was accepted in January and was able to log onto SMU total access but haven't received any aid as of yet.

Were you able to see your award letter?. I was accepted in January and was able to log onto SMU total access but haven't received any aid as of yet.
Yep, I can see my award letter. Try log in and check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen 3k for 2 bed 1 bath and 4k for 3 bed.

Pricey is an understatement.
Holy shiz. Is that for real? I could buy a really nice home for that mortgage price in like Idaho. Thats ridiculous

Will you actually be able get enough financial aid to go to CSPM and live in the Bay Area comfortably?

Holy shiz. Is that for real? I could buy a really nice home for that mortgage price in like Idaho. Thats ridiculous
Yeah its insane. To compare in Texas I was in a 4 bed 3 bath with back yard + garage for 1600 a month.

Will you actually be able get enough financial aid to go to CSPM and live in the Bay Area comfortably?
Looking through the financial aid estimate they give us about 1200 per month for rent.

Will look through the aid package again when I get it officially but I do not see current students struggling to find places. Just depends how much you're awarded + how much you take out + where you live + deals you find. A lot of variables. Financial pressures are real.

Looking through the financial aid estimate they give us about 1200 per month for rent.

Will look through the aid package again when I get it officially but I do not see current students struggling to find places. Just depends how much you're awarded + how much you take out + where you live + deals you find. A lot of variables. Financial pressures are real.

But if you only get $1200/month for rent and the average rent is $1900+ in the Bay Area where does the difference come from, assuming there is no scholarship/grant money involved? Do you just take out more in loans or what?

But if you only get $1200/month for rent and the average rent is $1900+ in the Bay Area where does the difference come from, assuming there is no scholarship/grant money involved? Do you just take out more in loans or what?
Probably a different loan on top of that

If you take out the full amount from the Federal Sub/Unsubsidized loans and also take out the full amount of the Grad Plus loans, you should be fine.
You can also do work-study or take out a private loan if needed.

that's one reason i had to scrap CSPM off my list. cost of living way too high.

Reactions: 2 users
1200 per room.

Roommates drive the cost down but do not fix the problem completely.

1200 per room.

Roommates drive the cost down but do not fix the problem completely.

Dang! Well if I get accepted to CSPM next cycle it looks like I'll have to make some friends haha

That's really expensive!

If you take out the full amount from the Federal Sub/Unsubsidized loans and also take out the full amount of the Grad Plus loans, you should be fine.
You can also do work-study or take out a private loan if needed.

Grad plus loans is like making a deal with the devil lol.

here i am laughing because i got a spacious 700 sq ft. one bedroom in des moines for this coming year all to myself for less than $600/month. Could have had cheaper but didn't want roommates.

For those of you who interviewed at CSPM, how did the interview go? Was the interview(s) intense? Laid back? What do you do at the Highland Hospital before the interview?

For those of you who interviewed at CSPM, how did the interview go? Was the interview(s) intense? Laid back? What do you do at the Highland Hospital before the interview?
Check out the Interview portion of SDN. Will link when I find it.

Interview was intense due to my low sGPA. Started off completely fine. Focused on how I got interested in podiatry, shadowing, extra currics, personal statement.

Grilled me on grades.

Last question was "Why do you deserve 1 of our 48 seats?". More of a chance to let the student get in a concluding statement.

Highland Hospital was really fun. You step into the pod clinic and get to see how the upperclassmen interact with the attendings/residents, how they interact with patients, treat, chart, followup with attending. I liked it.

Check out the Interview portion of SDN. Will link when I find it.

Interview was intense due to my low sGPA. Started off completely fine. Focused on how I got interested in podiatry, shadowing, extra currics, personal statement.

Grilled me on grades.

Last question was "Why do you deserve 1 of our 48 seats?". More of a chance to let the student get in a concluding statement.

Highland Hospital was really fun. You step into the pod clinic and get to see how the upperclassmen interact with the attendings/residents, how they interact with patients, treat, chart, followup with attending. I liked it.

Haha I'm pretty sure they'll grill me for my sGPA since it's a 3.0. What was yours if you don't mind me asking? Also did you wear your suit throughout the whole day? It seems to be awkward shadowing in the clinic in a suit haha. How long did it take for them to get back to you for their decision after your interview?

Very laxed, lasted less than 10 minutes and they really only asked me one question.

Edit to answer your above questions: Suit all day and in the clinic. It took 2 days to hear back.

Haha I'm pretty sure they'll grill me for my sGPA since it's a 3.0. What was yours if you don't mind me asking? Also did you wear your suit throughout the whole day? It seems to be awkward shadowing in the clinic in a suit haha. How long did it take for them to get back to you for their decision after your interview?

sGPA 2.89. Your 3 is solid.

Suit all day even during clinic. You feel dumb but don't think too much about it. People looking know its part of the process.

Back within 7 days.

I'm curious how much the average student pays in rent around Oakland or areas (<15 min. away) around it. With and without roommates...

1 bedroom around 1500+
2 bedroom around 3-4k
3 bedroom around 4-5k

Farther you go the cheaper it is (mostly).

How do people even afford that. Can loans even cover all of that? That's like double the price than most places in the US... maybe there's something cheaper further out like 20 minutes away.

How do people even afford that. Can loans even cover all of that? That's like double the price than most places in the US... maybe there's something cheaper further out like 20 minutes away.

Roommates. Living on your own would be really tough but its totally doable with roommates. Obviously it depends on what else you have going on financially but my loans covered everything while I was at CSPM without having to take out grad plus loans. I live in a house now in Grand Lake with 3 other people, about 1.5 miles from CSPM and my rent is 1050. Compared to other cities that's crazy but for the bay area... not too bad.

Roommates. Living on your own would be really tough but its totally doable with roommates. Obviously it depends on what else you have going on financially but my loans covered everything while I was at CSPM without having to take out grad plus loans. I live in a house now in Grand Lake with 3 other people, about 1.5 miles from CSPM and my rent is 1050. Compared to other cities that's crazy but for the bay area... not too bad.
I had to sink into Grad Plus loans but for a couple reasons - took out loans for MS degree, married, priority was close to school as possible so prices were higher for 1 bedrooms.

to not sink into grad plus loans, but still be putting in $1050 in rent plus living expenses you must have had a significant amount in savings? I will be attending Kent, so I will be paying less for living expenses, but it kills me that i'm still having to take out so much in grad plus loans. And this is me still living within my means not paying for cable, etc.

The interest rates on these loans are scary. especially since for us it will be seven years before we can actually make money.