CRNA taking away Anesthesiologist jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey,

So just how accurate is the whole "CRNA's are gonna make anesthesiologists obsolete," statement that gets passed around the wards? I am interested in Anesthesia because of its close involvement with surgical procedure with a "good" work/life balance, but I have been getting dissuaded by my fellow students and select attendings. I figured it would be best to ask the anesthesiologist directly!

*I'm aware that this topic is probably done to death, but I wasn't able to find this specific question.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

So just how accurate is the whole "CRNA's are gonna make anesthesiologists obsolete," statement that gets passed around the wards? I am interested in Anesthesia because of its close involvement with surgical procedure with a "good" work/life balance, but I have been getting dissuaded by my fellow students and select attendings. I figured it would be best to ask the anesthesiologist directly!

*I'm aware that this topic is probably done to death, but I wasn't able to find this specific question.
Very accurate

Reactions: 1 users
Hey,

Most other specialties will give you more control over work/life balance too. Good work/life balance is not an attribute of anesthesiology. We are at the service of the operating room. The schedule is VERY unpredictable. All happy anesthesiologists have made peace with that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's so strange that it is so doom and gloom because the anesthesiologists I know are the main owners in a surgery center, never work past 6pm and all 3 have matching porsches ( 911 Carreras).

Reactions: 1 user
It's so strange that it is so doom and gloom because the anesthesiologists I know are the main owners in a surgery center, never work past 6pm and all 3 have matching porsches ( 911 Carreras).

That's what I'm sayin tho... I saw an anesthesiologist pushing an S-class Benz. But this rhetoric about CRNA's ****ting on their nest egg is not my cup of tea when I'm gonna graduate with 200k debt.

Anesthesia is in general not a lifestyle specialty.
As far as jobs go, SDN is by far more pessimistic on this topic than the real world in my experience. I'd encourage you to take a look at all the states that legally allow them to practice without supervision right now, and then take a look at how few places actually let them. As for the future, who knows. Nobody knows no matter how sure they say they are. If you ask any specialty they will have their own issues they're concerned with.
Just for reference, I've been hearing since residency many moons ago a CRNA is going to take my job...,hasn't happened yet.
Do a fellowship if you're really anxious about this and feel you need to have some insurance.
I know plenty of anesthesiologists doing just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.