Critical Care Medicine Versus Pulmonary Critical Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the pulm/CCM folks (jdh, Hern, others),

What kind of schedules are you guys seeing out in the private practice world? I, and I'm sure many other still in training, only see the academic model of splitting pulmonary clinic/consults and unit. Any differences based on location/size of town? The only private pulm/CCM doc I know still works on the older consult only model of ICU care, but I know things are changing.

I looked mainly in the mountain west. And most of the places I was looking at we're first trying to cover the unit but then also looking to expand out patient pulmonary. Everywhere I looked they were somewhat flexible to how you wanted to split your time. In patient consults were less of necessity and usually the guys in the ICU were covering these when they had time to do so. A lot of places were still using locums to fill in gaps in the schedule as needed. The schedule was from one in four to one in 6 weeks coverage of the ICU including the associated weekend. Night coverage varied but most places have hospitalists admitting to the ICU with in person consults waiting until the morning. The rest if your contracted time is in the out patient clinic. Most places I visited are asking you to work about 1/2 to 2/3 of the year with 30 days vacation plus 5 days for CME (but don't forget those weekends!). Pay range was 330 to 385 base.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am new to this website and had a few questions regarding fellowship training in critical care. I am an IM resident and definitely want to pursue a critical care fellowship, but am not sure that I would like to pursue the pulmonary portion of the fellowship. I know that typically residents apply for pulmonary/critical care. Why is that? Is it that people are typically interested in both?

I'm interested in rheumatology and critical care and would rather be double boarded in rheum/ccm, instead of pulm/ccm. Is this a bad idea?

One last question: Is it a bad idea to pursue the 2 year ccm fellowship instead of the 3 year pulm/critical care fellowship? What are the advantages of doing the third year and getting the double board certification in pulm and cc?

Sorry for all of the questions at once. Thank you for your help.

I can't speak for others, but PulmCC kind of fell into my lap and i'm loving it.

I looked mainly in the mountain west. And most of the places I was looking at we're first trying to cover the unit but then also looking to expand out patient pulmonary. Everywhere I looked they were somewhat flexible to how you wanted to split your time. In patient consults were less of necessity and usually the guys in the ICU were covering these when they had time to do so. A lot of places were still using locums to fill in gaps in the schedule as needed. The schedule was from one in four to one in 6 weeks coverage of the ICU including the associated weekend. Night coverage varied but most places have hospitalists admitting to the ICU with in person consults waiting until the morning. The rest if your contracted time is in the out patient clinic. Most places I visited are asking you to work about 1/2 to 2/3 of the year with 30 days vacation plus 5 days for CME (but don't forget those weekends!). Pay range was 330 to 385 base.

How much extra you get on top of base salary in average?