Creogs- please add to thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diane L. Evans

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
CREOGS are residency tests in OB/GYN in 5 broad areas OB, GYN, Onc, REI, and urogyn, and primary and preventative care. A good score is 200. go to www. acog.org and log in maroon button on top left with your acog # (on your green journal) .

Best study materials precis and prolog ? book. Getting 65% correct on prolog will give you a 200 score. Doing better each year is a good predictor on how you will do on the written boards.

Topics include:

Basic Science and Obstetrics
Basic Science
Genetics and Teratology
Ovarian Pathology
Vulvar and Vaginal Pathology
Cervical and Uterine Pathology
Trophoblastic Pathology
Obstetric Conditions
Spontaneous Abortion
Preterm Labor
Isoimmunization
Multiple Gestation
Breech Birth
Maternal and Fetal Infections
Postdate Pregnancy
Postpartum Complications
Conditions in Pregnancy
Diabetes and Endocrine
Hypertensive Disorders
Cardiac and Pulmonary
Neurologic and Hematologic
Obstetric Management
Prenatal Diagnosis
Obstetric Ultrasound
Antepartum Testing
Obstetric Anesthesia
Intrapartum Management
Operative Obstetrics
Obstetric Emergencies Gynecology
Clinical Gynecology
Embryology and Anatomy
Pediatric Gynecology
Urinary Incontinence
Disorders of Pelvic Support
Preop and Postop Care
Ectopic Pregnancy
Vulvar Skin Disorders
Vulvar and Vaginal Infections
Cervical and Upper Tract Infections
Systemic STDs
Infections and Antibiotics
Sexual Assault
Domestic Violence
Breast Diseases
Contraception
Gynecologic Endocrinology
Endometriosis and Adenomyosis
Secondary Amenorrhea
Androgen Disorders
Prolactin Disorders
Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding
Infertility and ART
Menopause
Disorders of Sexual Development
Abnormal Puberty
Gynecologic Oncology
Cervical Cancer Screening
Invasive Cervical Cancer
Ovarian Oncology
Endometrial Oncology
Vulvar and Vaginal Oncology
Trophoblastic Disease
Radiation and Chemotherapy

Other good review courses are Osler at:
http://www.osler.org/main/GYN.html

or exam pro at www.exampro.com
http://www.exampro.com/SeminarSchedule_Current_new_2008dec-july.asp

Specific questions in the past have included Ob topics such as abruption, STD's, post tem pregnancy. Onc and REI are not well represented but endometrial cancer is a hot topic every year. There has been a focus on primary care in the past ventilator setting questions, pneumonia, and blood dyscrasias as well as Marfans.

Please add to this list

Good luck
:) Diane

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your tips Diane. Thank god for the PROLOGs!!!!!

community : )

Members don't see this ad :)
How are the CREOGs constructed? How is it scored?

that was brutal....seemed a LOT easier last year!

Last year I took it while on night float and was exhausted. I think I may have fallen asleep in the first half and didn't finish the first book. I swore never to take it while on night float ever again. Just the fact that I was well rested this year was helpful.

are there really that many hairy women in the world? that's all i was wondering while taking the test. that, and where is the answer "refer to someone else?"

I am a PGY-1. I didn't finish the first booklet by 20 questions. I felt that I had to guess on a lot of the questions. I am thinking about the CREOG result daily and living in fear that I will get fired from my program due to my horrible result. Have you guys heard of program fired residents because of poor CREOG socre??

Our program has minimum acceptable scores in place, but not meeting that level doesn't mean you get "fired." Rather, it sends you into weekly meeting with your faculty mentor, assigned readings, and a test at the end of the year by the program director.

I suggest you deal with the normal sleep deprivation and anxiety of residency and not worry about this until the scores return in a week or so. I'm sure you'll be fine!:)

Well, happy/sad - what did people think?

Still suck at REI...but overall happy with my score. Much improved from last year. :)

reasonably happy. a little better than last year. surprised myself in REI, disappointed in OB. the good news is that i did a little bit better (gotta improve each year, right?), but not too much that i can't beat it and get a good score next year.

i guess i will have to crack open the prolog series next year, no more of this not studying stuff. too much stress!

The test was considerably easier this year (in my opinion).

I used the Precis in majority and did some questions for REI out of Prologs.

I think for interns, Precis is a good choice as it provides the basics before jumping to questions in Prologs... The compendium is not all that bad either.

So what's like an average score for interns? What's a good score? Would it be 200 overall or within our year? It just seems like 200 is not a great score since it falls in the mean...:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Intern score is variable and please don't put "too much" weight on the CREOGS! There is a great deal of variability within programs in first year (volume, didactics, rotations, etc) and therefore a high variation in scores. A 200 is a solid score for an intern. Take it and use it for a means of comparison against following years to better assess your personal improvement.

This is one of the major reasons that the governing bodies prohibit the use of the CREOG score as a means for promotion within OB/GYN residency.

Having said this, I'm still wondering what one of our interns who hit a 236 this year going to do in the future!:D

Its coming up! I'm pretty sure I am going to be an embarrassment to my department.

I wonder if preparing exam type questions would be an effective way to prepare for the CREOGS and the Written Board Exam too. This would help foreign students become familiar with language issues they would encounter on the exam along with converting class room knowledge into exam knowledge.

Below is an example of a question that requires a choice between several correct answers. The explanation for the answer explains why answer B is the best answer.

Pregnant women are more susceptible to
parvovirus B-19 which causes Fifth
disease. This is a concern because:
a. Leads to arthritis
b. Cause of fetal hydrops
c. Cause of birth defects
d. Can be transmitted to the fetus
e. Cause preterm delivery

B – Parvovirus B-19 is one of the causes of
nonimmune hydrops fetalis. Although joint
aches and pains can be experienced these
usually go away in a matter of weeks.
Parvovirus B-19 does not cause birth
defects. It can be transmitted to the fetus
and this is important because hydrops can
develop. Preterm delivery can be a result of
hydrops.

Although true false questions are not on the exam they can be helpful in remembering information. As an example one could create five true false questions about what parvovirus B-19 can cause as a way of eliminating some answers.

One side benefit of this method of preparation is that one would end up with a bank of test questions which could be put to other uses based on individual creativity. Are there any comments concerning this idea?

CREOGS are harder than the written boards, probably because the written boards are more clinical. Whereas in the written boards you must get 70% to pass, this correlates to only about 60% with the CREOGs

Are one's CREOG scores from all four years up for consideration in fellowship applications?

Attended 2009 Annual CREOG/APGO Annual Meeting and saw four posters on the CREOG exam. Probably the most interesting one for people that follow this thread was entitled "... Do Fast Test Takers Score Higher?" which was presented by Eugene Toy from St. Joeseph Medical Center. Their conclusion was that the faster test takers scored lower. I guess this means that you should take the time to fully read the question and all of the answers before choosing your answer.

The other three posters dealt with the predictive value of the USMLE on CREOG performance and performance on the USMLE and CREOG as a predictor of performance on the ABOG written certification exam. There was kind of an agreement that if you did well on the USMLE you would do well on the CREOG and if you did well on the USMLE and CREOG you would do well on the ABOG written exam.

They keep investigating those relationships... now my question is, I scored 198 as PGY1 this year... 50th percentile... I am very concerned about the fact that my program requires PGY2 and up to score at 25ile... there HAS to be an efficient way to prepare for this... any idea?

Thanks.

Thanks for posting the info. As a soon to be OBG resident I've found it most useful.

:)Hi,
I am interested in discussing th CREOG topics online or on the phone.If anyone intersted please leave your e-mail here or contact number or you can send a e-mail to [email protected]
eagerly awaiting your reply.thanks
discussion on obgyn topics from any standard textbook is also welcome

how frequently are new editions of the CREOGs released? should i buy the latest edition now or wait until the next one is released?

where can i get the precis study materials from? I only see them on amazon and its saying $400 for one book?? that can't be right. Any suggestions anyone?

I was wondering what the best resources are for preparing for the general considerations section. last year it seemed like a lot of the questions that were asked pertained to office practice and management. Is there a resource that is concise enough for a PGY 2 to get an overview of the topic?

I'm PGY1 so I haven't taken it yet. There's a Precis book on primary care. Maybe it would be helpful?

How many questions are on the exam?

Thanks i will try the primary care book.

there are about 330 questions

Yah its blue. 4th ed 2009 I got mine from the ACOG site. I'm not sure which one is faster/cheaper

does anyone have the PDF version of the practice management prologs?

All residents registered with ACOG get the Prologs for free to study. They also now have a quiz game on the ACOG site--I didn't like it much as it doesn't have good explanations like the Prologs, but it spices things up a bit.

All residents registered with ACOG get the Prologs for free to study. They also now have a quiz game on the ACOG site--I didn't like it much as it doesn't have good explanations like the Prologs, but it spices things up a bit.

Anyone happen to have the Prologs in PDF form? Can PM me.

Thanks

In an effort to liven up this dead board: How did CREOGs go for everyone? Any specific study plans you are thinking of using for this year?

Our program gives us a Truelearn subscription; I did 500 questions and also went through the biggest PROLOG contributors (Obstetrics, Gynecology, Office practice) and found that to be a good strategy.

Reactions: 1 user
CREOGS went better than I expected and I only did about 100 prolog questions. Next year I’m planning to do more PROLOG questions.

What did you think about TrueLearn? Did anyone use BoardVitals?

I second TrueLearn, I think the questions are the closest to CREOG style. But it's kind of lacking in REI, so I supplemented with the REI PROLOG. I didn't like Board Vitals as much.

Reactions: 1 user
I second TrueLearn, I think the questions are the closest to CREOG style. But it's kind of lacking in REI, so I supplemented with the REI PROLOG. I didn't like Board Vitals as much.

Awesome - will give it a try next year! Funny you mention REI. Most of the PROLOG is did was REI because I didn’t do well on it last year and I think it was really beneficial. This year I didn’t get a breakdown of how I did by subspecialty subject. Did anyone?

Awesome - will give it a try next year! Funny you mention REI. Most of the PROLOG is did was REI because I didn’t do well on it last year and I think it was really beneficial. This year I didn’t get a breakdown of how I did by subspecialty subject. Did anyone?
Apparently they changed the format of the score report and no longer include a subspecialty breakdown ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On another note, does anybody know how to find corresponding percentiles for a score?

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently they changed the format of the score report and no longer include a subspecialty breakdown ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On another note, does anybody know how to find corresponding percentiles for a score?

I am also interested in knowing more about how the test is scored. I got a "score report" last week, but it basically just says a three digit number. Just wondering if anyone knows percentiles for this year or how to interpret the results.

I am just starting out in residency, but I am very interested in fellowship. My score was a 230 on CREOGs this year. Any information or advice you could offer would be much appreciated! I am at a small community program, so I don't have too many people to ask. Thanks again!!!

Also a quick thank you to everyone that has posted on this board. THANK YOU! Your advice was super helpful. I second your recommendations for using Truelearn Qbank and Prolog preo books!

How do you get your free Prologs? When I look on the ACOG website I can only see where to purchase the books online.