CPJE October test takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twentytwelve2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few of us took CPJE in October. How did you all do? I feel like I missed around 15-20 questions with about 4 I surely got wrong. It makes me worried because if the questions that I got right were the 15 pre test questions ,then my over all score will be even lower. Super worried here! How many can we afford to miss on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you answer those wire operations questions if you don't work in those areas?
Are you in retail?
So if someone works in retail how would they answer tricky hospital or compounding questions?
Common sense gets you far on scenario questions with the help of clinical knowledge.

Just got the letter. Green paper wasn't showing in the window but was behind the white score paper. So don't be worried if you don't see the green. Good luck to everyone else!

BTW 2016.5 (most recent) eBay pharmcharts and weissman law book for sale! Basically all I used to study.

Congrats on passing! I also have a copy of the eBay pharmacy charts (older edition) for sell. It is also great for work. PM me if you are interested in buying:

Pharmacy Charts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-5-Edition-Pharmacy-Charts-NAPLEX-CPJE-Review-/261152172663

Congrats eveyone who has passed. Thanks for taking care of each other in the very hard time. I am so thankful to God. Once again guys thanks and who could not make this time dont worry. This is not the end of the world. Work hard and snatch ur goal. I will pray for all of us.
Now, I am worried about The "Naplex". Cant sleep at night . pls I am open for suggestions and remember me in your prayers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from Jefferson in 2014, did a year of residency and became a Clinical Coordinator right after. I'm licensed in NJ, NY and Texas, yet I cannot pass this ridiculous CPJE. Failed now twice with a 72 this time. I have no idea what else to do. I used Pharmacy Charts and weissman book. This game is humiliating. Homie just trying to go back home to SoCal lol. I feel like the golf ball in Happy Gilmore, just trying to go back home.

Real talk tho, any suggestions at this point. I actually walked out of the exam feeling pretty good, which is the scary thing. Maybe I'm getting the experimental questions right and the real ones wrong...? Any how I have 2 more tries before things get really hairy... any tips?

PS: I took NJ because I did my residency there and I currently work in NY. I just got Texas two weeks ago because of fear that I wouldn't pass Cali and I'll do anything to get the F out of the north east and go somewhere warmer. Missing that Cali Sun. I guess I'm halfway back to Cali now with a Texas license haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
you should call the board tomorrow morning and make sure to let them know! Maybe it got lost in mail, it happened to me before!

Thanks dear. Will do :( Soooo frustrated.
How long did it take you to receive your last mail when it was lost? Phew

I graduated from Jefferson in 2014, did a year of residency and became a Clinical Coordinator right after. I'm licensed in NJ, NY and Texas, yet I cannot pass this ridiculous CPJE. Failed now twice with a 72 this time. I have no idea what else to do. I used Pharmacy Charts and weissman book. This game is humiliating. Homie just trying to go back home to SoCal lol. I feel like the golf ball in Happy Gilmore, just trying to go back home.

Real talk tho, any suggestions at this point. I actually walked out of the exam feeling pretty good, which is the scary thing. Maybe I'm getting the experimental questions right and the real ones wrong...? Any how I have 2 more tries before things get really hairy... any tips?

PS: I took NJ because I did my residency there and I currently work in NY. I just got Texas two weeks ago because of fear that I wouldn't pass Cali and I'll do anything to get the F out of the north east and go somewhere warmer. Missing that Cali Sun. I guess I'm halfway back to Cali now with a Texas license haha
What was your area of weakness when you received your results? Are you instinctively picking answers for law without realizing that in CA laws are different? The test was pretty much just clinical pearls, and basic clinical knowledge i.e. DM,HTN,basic math, counseling pearls; in addition to hospital operations. I assume you excel in clinical so I am concluding that maybe law is your weakness and you are picking answers reflexively and not realizing your reasoning was wrong because you are studying CA law with a NY law background.

Thanks dear. Will do :( Soooo frustrated.
How long did it take you to receive your last mail when it was lost? Phew
To be honest I think it was around a week cuz it happened with some documentation I had to receive from NABP which as you know is located in another state.. At that time I tried contacting the post office they told me it's nearly impossible to find a letter sent in a regular envelope.. So I guess letting BoP know is you only option here

Members don't see this ad :)

Since I failed once and passed it for the second time, I think I can give you couple of tips and how I approached it after failing the first test. The first test I just studied the CPJE law by RxPrep and superficially memorized stuffs like vaccinations, cephalosporin generations, some brand-generics, etc. However, that was not enough and I got my ass clapped. So I went on and bought Pharmcharts and this book was clutch. Read it 3 times and it was good enough. So here are some things I feel like most of the CPJE questions dealt with:

1) Memorize brand-generics: I know this sounds like no-brainer, but perhaps I feel like this is the most important concept for the clinical part of this exam. If you cannot recall the drug name, you won't know what the drug is used for, and if you don't know that, you will have no clue to solve the problem. Make sure to memorize not just top 300 brand-generics drugs but also beyond common disease states (MS, cystic fibrosis, some chemo, hep b, hiv, some rare vaccines, and so on). I just looked at them everyday and on the test, I still didn't recognize some. So be familiar.

2) Memorize unique adverse effects along with monitoring parameters: I will not say to memorize all the adverse effects for each drugs verbatim since AEDs like headache, nausea, or diarrhea are common in like every drug, but try to remember the unique ones for some drugs (ex: priapism in trazodone, severe rash in lamotrigine, ototoxicity in aminoglycosides, vision problems with chlorquines, and so on). Know monitoring parameters such as sodium levels for seizure drugs, any hearing loss for vancomycin, renal function in lithium users, WBC counts in clozapine, and so on. Since CPJE will deal with "clinical" questions, it is definitely expected that they will ask questions for us to look at lab values and make judgement for the use of the drug. Again, these will likely come out in brand names, which was emphasized in 1.

3) Know all the first-lines for each disease state: If you look at the CPJE handout (yellow packet before the exam), one of the objectives was something like making a clinical decision based on patient's state or something, which means that there will be questions on asking what to give for certain patients. So forcommon disease states like HF, DM, HTN, cellulitis, CAP, stroke, glaucoma, anticoagulation, just know what to give first hand for each state. Brand names always apply so this again emphasizes my 1. Don't forget OTC medications and their indications as they will obviously be used for common disease states like allergic rhinitis, upset stomach, athlete's foot and stuff.

4) Be familiar with dosages/frequency/formulations/refrigeration,etc: For some drugs there are always unique method on how to use and how to store. The back part of the pharmchart helps. Also, memorize the vaccine schedule from CDC perfectly and I think you will be good.

5) Know IV compatibility: Similar with 4-formulation, refrigeration, but if you look at the back of the pharmchart they show you some shortened versions of IV solutions that should be protected from light, short stability and etc. Must memorize.

6) Try solving the backtest on the Board website. I remember solving this backtest provided by the board from 2003 or something. Many will say that it is now totally different and obsolete since CPJE has been updated on April 2016, but I found lot of the questions awfully similar and it helped me a lot.

7) For law, I never looked at Weissman so I cannot really say which one is better, but I only studied CPJE RxPrep one and it covered enough materials. No matter how much I studied on law, I feel like there will always be random scenario and policy questions on the exam, and those part you just have to make logical guess.

Hope this helped and I feel you on trying to escape the East since I am trying to do so as well. Good luck to you and have faith in yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to sell the following
1/ RxPrep 2015 edition coursebook
2/ RxPrep CA Law summary 2013
3/ Pharmacy charts 2014 edition
4/ APhA Complete Review for Pharmacy 11 th edition
Please PM me if interested.
All sold, except #1

Last edited:
Since I failed once and passed it for the second time, I think I can give you couple of tips and how I approached it after failing the first test. The first test I just studied the CPJE law by RxPrep and superficially memorized stuffs like vaccinations, cephalosporin generations, some brand-generics, etc. However, that was not enough and I got my ass clapped. So I went on and bought Pharmcharts and this book was clutch. Read it 3 times and it was good enough. So here are some things I feel like most of the CPJE questions dealt with:

1) Memorize brand-generics: I know this sounds like no-brainer, but perhaps I feel like this is the most important concept for the clinical part of this exam. If you cannot recall the drug name, you won't know what the drug is used for, and if you don't know that, you will have no clue to solve the problem. Make sure to memorize not just top 300 brand-generics drugs but also beyond common disease states (MS, cystic fibrosis, some chemo, hep b, hiv, some rare vaccines, and so on). I just looked at them everyday and on the test, I still didn't recognize some. So be familiar.

2) Memorize unique adverse effects along with monitoring parameters: I will not say to memorize all the adverse effects for each drugs verbatim since AEDs like headache, nausea, or diarrhea are common in like every drug, but try to remember the unique ones for some drugs (ex: priapism in trazodone, severe rash in lamotrigine, ototoxicity in aminoglycosides, vision problems with chlorquines, and so on). Know monitoring parameters such as sodium levels for seizure drugs, any hearing loss for vancomycin, renal function in lithium users, WBC counts in clozapine, and so on. Since CPJE will deal with "clinical" questions, it is definitely expected that they will ask questions for us to look at lab values and make judgement for the use of the drug. Again, these will likely come out in brand names, which was emphasized in 1.

3) Know all the first-lines for each disease state: If you look at the CPJE handout (yellow packet before the exam), one of the objectives was something like making a clinical decision based on patient's state or something, which means that there will be questions on asking what to give for certain patients. So forcommon disease states like HF, DM, HTN, cellulitis, CAP, stroke, glaucoma, anticoagulation, just know what to give first hand for each state. Brand names always apply so this again emphasizes my 1. Don't forget OTC medications and their indications as they will obviously be used for common disease states like allergic rhinitis, upset stomach, athlete's foot and stuff.

4) Be familiar with dosages/frequency/formulations/refrigeration,etc: For some drugs there are always unique method on how to use and how to store. The back part of the pharmchart helps. Also, memorize the vaccine schedule from CDC perfectly and I think you will be good.

5) Know IV compatibility: Similar with 4-formulation, refrigeration, but if you look at the back of the pharmchart they show you some shortened versions of IV solutions that should be protected from light, short stability and etc. Must memorize.

6) Try solving the backtest on the Board website. I remember solving this backtest provided by the board from 2003 or something. Many will say that it is now totally different and obsolete since CPJE has been updated on April 2016, but I found lot of the questions awfully similar and it helped me a lot.

7) For law, I never looked at Weissman so I cannot really say which one is better, but I only studied CPJE RxPrep one and it covered enough materials. No matter how much I studied on law, I feel like there will always be random scenario and policy questions on the exam, and those part you just have to make logical guess.

Hope this helped and I feel you on trying to escape the East since I am trying to do so as well. Good luck to you and have faith in yourself.

How long did you give yourself to study? I typically study better under pressure and thinking maximum three weeks. and are you selling the pharmacy charts 2016.5 version?

Last edited:
What was your area of weakness when you received your results? Are you instinctively picking answers for law without realizing that in CA laws are different? The test was pretty much just clinical pearls, and basic clinical knowledge i.e. DM,HTN,basic math, counseling pearls; in addition to hospital operations. I assume you excel in clinical so I am concluding that maybe law is your weakness and you are picking answers reflexively and not realizing your reasoning was wrong because you are studying CA law with a NY law background.

Naw, I made some mistakes for sure that cost me the crucial few pts I needed to pass and they were all clinical. I wasnt confusing the NY Cali laws up but ive taken this exam twice now and both times it asks about pharmacists to tech ratios and both times i got tripped up by the exact wording of the question. but thats about it for law stuff that gets me screwed.

Spark, I appreciate the full on break down of what to know. I know I messed up a few questions that would have prolly given me a passing score but I just blanked during the exam. It was a IV compatibility that I shouldve had down flat - my fault. and allergies to a med - something i shouldve known. Again, appreciate the full on break down. I need to know it all lol no escaping that.

Hey All, I appreciate the full comprehensive items to really review for the exam. I got a few messages that were PMs and I appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences and the kind words.

Again thanks for the PMs, ill hit you guys up individually too but just wanted to throw it out there. I read these forums when studying for the CPJE twice now and no one EVER wrote that much **** like Spark and a few others who contacted me directly said as to what we should be studying. That means a lot. Ive been on this site silently since 2008, when i was applying to pharmacy school and again for residencies. I hated this damn site cuz of two things.

1. you get the asses that say "I have a 3.96 GPA and a 94 on my PCAT, will I get into pharmacy school?!?!?!" omg ill stab you is the only thing going on in my head to the dicks that made those posts back in 2008-2010. The rest of us with borderline 3.0s and mid 70s PCATs were sh*tting bricks.

2. I guess I can kinda see how posting on here and getting someone to console your fears would be beneficial but... naw not really... the constant posts of "OMG I failed, PRAY FOR ME I PRAY FOR YOU." Bro, stfu and handle business unless you got some real question or providing some insight that would be beneficial to us all, don't blow up the message boards. we on here trying to communicate with eachother about getting business handled and passing this test. Like the useful posts are I forgot who, but the person that mentioned what they heard directly from the board about our letters being mailed out, now that **** is useful. As well as what to study for, that was helpful as well. one love to Spark and the rest that PM'd me.

Some of you wont like what I said in number 2. but honestly, get a grip. laugh at your fails and dont take life so seriously. I know I screwed up twice now and am ready to tackle this B on again full force. Hustle game strong people. can't let this **** ruin you. Get back on that horse and whip that **** like a boss.

- Maydia OUT!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey All, I appreciate the full comprehensive items to really review for the exam. I got a few messages that were PMs and I appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences and the kind words.

Again thanks for the PMs, ill hit you guys up individually too but just wanted to throw it out there. I read these forums when studying for the CPJE twice now and no one EVER wrote that much **** like Spark and a few others who contacted me directly said as to what we should be studying. That means a lot. Ive been on this site silently since 2008, when i was applying to pharmacy school and again for residencies. I hated this damn site cuz of two things.

1. you get the asses that say "I have a 3.96 GPA and a 94 on my PCAT, will I get into pharmacy school?!?!?!" omg ill stab you is the only thing going on in my head to the dicks that made those posts back in 2008-2010. The rest of us with borderline 3.0s and mid 70s PCATs were sh*tting bricks.

2. I guess I can kinda see how posting on here and getting someone to console your fears would be beneficial but... naw not really... the constant posts of "OMG I failed, PRAY FOR ME I PRAY FOR YOU." Bro, stfu and handle business unless you got some real question or providing some insight that would be beneficial to us all, don't blow up the message boards. we on here trying to communicate with eachother about getting business handled and passing this test. Like the useful posts are I forgot who, but the person that mentioned what they heard directly from the board about our letters being mailed out, now that **** is useful. As well as what to study for, that was helpful as well. one love to Spark and the rest that PM'd me.

Some of you wont like what I said in number 2. but honestly, get a grip. laugh at your fails and dont take life so seriously. I know I screwed up twice now and am ready to tackle this B on again full force. Hustle game strong people. can't let this **** ruin you. Get back on that horse and whip that **** like a boss.

- Maydia OUT!

Full heartedly agree with number 2. That whole "pray for me" nonsense was getting on my nerves. This thread could have done without the melodramatic nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received a "Pocket License" in the mail. Is that it? I feel like they forgot to include the normal sized license like my intern license..

I just received a "Pocket License" in the mail. Is that it? I feel like they forgot to include the normal sized license like my intern license..
Yea lol that is it! The reason is that they kinda want you to carry that with you everywhere like your ID lol
Ain't nobody gonna do that!

Thank yo.
But dear god, I'm not carrying that around unless I have to. It might cost an arm and a leg to replace it. It's just a piece of paper that you have to cut out.

Took it April 8 for third time... it didn't have my actual score but I got the green letter...
I Passed :)

What helped the third time around and out of curiosity why did you wait all the way until April this time?

well I took it in late October. 90 day wait = late january. my retake app took extra time for whatever reason. I was gonna take it in feb but had surgery (fuk gallbladders) lol. and then march is blocked off so April...

what helped. nothing changed really, I got a 72 the second time and I knew what I screwed up such as IV diluents. those are gimmie pts so you just have to straight memorize that same with HIV drugs. i memorized that so hard core and well it helped.