CPJE July 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soontobepharmd2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone taken the CPJE in July? Or will anyone be taking it later this month?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had one calculation problem. It was an easy one. Don't study calculations for this test.

They had questions on uncommon disease states I didn't expect to see. I had a lot of questions about IV compatibility. There were some infectious disease questions too. Know which generation each drug is in.

You need to know the names of brand/generics beyond the top 300. I had literally never heard of some of the drugs that they asked about.

Last edited:
I only had one calculation problem. It was an easy one. Don't study calculations for this test.

They had questions on disease states like Myastheian Gravis and Addison's disease that I didn't expect to see. I had a lot of questions about IV compatibility. There were some infectious disease questions too. Know which generation each Cephalosporin is in.

You need to know the names of brand/generics beyond the top 300. I had literally never heard of some of the drugs that they asked about.

Thanks for the advice, Lexington2012! If you don't mind me asking, what date did you take your exam?

Thanks for the advice, Lexington2012! If you don't mind me asking, what date did you take your exam?
i am a foreign grad any suggestions on how to review naplex material for cpje?should i go through the whole book again?are cpje questions straight forward or detailed?

They had questions on disease states like Myastheian Gravis and Addison's disease that I didn't expect to see. I had a lot of questions about IV compatibility. There were some infectious disease questions too. Know which generation each Cephalosporin is in.

Were there dosing, renal adjustment kind questions, Thnx Lexington2012

Want to share a little bit about my experience:

I took the CPJE on 7/8. I only used RxPrep to study and the 300-page or so law document that's on the CA BOP website.

I got my results yesterday, and I missed it by one point with a 74. I am disappointed and annoyed, but also feel good about my performance since I am out of state and out of school for 2 years now, having worked in some positions where I didn't need a license.

My feeling is that the exam is very random. It's as if there is a pool of a million questions out there and what you actually get is just a small fraction and whether or not it falls in your area of comfort is luck at times. I definitely got a few questions that completely stumped me and I didn't know or couldn't remember anything about the drug. Of course, it is also tough to tell whether those really obscure questions were part of the experimental 15 that get thrown out or something I just failed to look at.

Here are my suggestions based on my experience, but of course I am still looking to pass:
Don't worry about time. Two hours for 90 questions means you can really think through the ones you don't know.
Don't worry about calculations like for the NAPLEX. If you do get any, it will likely be something easy that you can do in your head.
Know IV compatibilities - saline only, D5W only, etc. - RxPrep has a good table for that
Know light sensitive IV drugs - RxPrep
Know drugs with leaching or sorption issues, where a different type of IV bag might need to be used - RxPrep
Know which IV preps need to be used immediately - RxPrep
Know which suspensions need to be refrigerated or shaken - RxPrep
Know all the top brand/generic, but I also feel CPJE is big on HIV and ABx brand/generic
Practice the sample exam questions they provide online or in the booklet

The above will probably help with half of the exam. The other half will be either law or clinical knowledge in just about any area.

Other than that, knowing that possibly getting any one of the questions I was debating right may have put me over the top is a little tough to take, but it's back to the drawing board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, forgot to mention that I took the NAPLEX on 6/20, so almost 3 weeks before the CPJE and still don't have those results. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Oh, forgot to mention that I took the NAPLEX on 6/20, so almost 3 weeks before the CPJE and still don't have those results. Anyone else with a similar experience?
You should contact the board then. Usually, they send you with in a week.

Want to share a little bit about my experience:

I took the CPJE on 7/8. I only used RxPrep to study and the 300-page or so law document that's on the CA BOP website.

I got my results yesterday, and I missed it by one point with a 74. I am disappointed and annoyed, but also feel good about my performance since I am out of state and out of school for 2 years now, having worked in some positions where I didn't need a license.

My feeling is that the exam is very random. It's as if there is a pool of a million questions out there and what you actually get is just a small fraction and whether or not it falls in your area of comfort is luck at times. I definitely got a few questions that completely stumped me and I didn't know or couldn't remember anything about the drug. Of course, it is also tough to tell whether those really obscure questions were part of the experimental 15 that get thrown out or something I just failed to look at.

Here are my suggestions based on my experience, but of course I am still looking to pass:
Don't worry about time. Two hours for 90 questions means you can really think through the ones you don't know.
Don't worry about calculations like for the NAPLEX. If you do get any, it will likely be something easy that you can do in your head.
Know IV compatibilities - saline only, D5W only, etc. - RxPrep has a good table for that
Know light sensitive IV drugs - RxPrep
Know drugs with leaching or sorption issues, where a different type of IV bag might need to be used - RxPrep
Know which IV preps need to be used immediately - RxPrep
Know which suspensions need to be refrigerated or shaken - RxPrep
Know all the top brand/generic, but I also feel CPJE is big on HIV and ABx brand/generic
Practice the sample exam questions they provide online or in the booklet

The above will probably help with half of the exam. The other half will be either law or clinical knowledge in just about any area.

Other than that, knowing that possibly getting any one of the questions I was debating right may have put me over the top is a little tough to take, but it's back to the drawing board.

I'm so sorry you didn't pass! I pray you pass next time you take it! I took mine 07/28 and I am super anxious , I left the exam feeling I didn't know answer to 6 questions but I'm losing my confident as I go through the book, now I'm standing on 15 to 20 questions that in can't find defint answer too... my fear is to not pass with point or 2 difference ! How did u feel when u left the exam?

Thanks. I left feeling fairly good. I felt that I might have had more than 6 wrong, but felt more confident about the ones I thought I was getting right. When I looked up some questionable ones, I got a lot of them wrong. After about a day, I felt like it was going to be 50/50 chance of me passing and I was pretty close. Then there were a couple questions that I know I should have gotten right, but made a dumb choice and was kicking myself after. With a 74, I guess 1 question might have made the difference. I'm going to make sure I get it the next time.

I got my naplex score after writing the board. Surprisingly, I barely passed, but I will take it.

Dont stress out too much naplexjune. Its out of your hands now. Instead, take a break so that you can be fresh to take it again if you need to. Thats what Ive been doing.

Have you gotten any results yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. I left feeling fairly good. I felt that I might have had more than 6 wrong, but felt more confident about the ones I thought I was getting right. When I looked up some questionable ones, I got a lot of them wrong. After about a day, I felt like it was going to be 50/50 chance of me passing and I was pretty close. Then there were a couple questions that I know I should have gotten right, but made a dumb choice and was kicking myself after. With a 74, I guess 1 question might have made the difference. I'm going to make sure I get it the next time.

I got my naplex score after writing the board. Surprisingly, I barely passed, but I will take it.

Dont stress out too much naplexjune. Its out of your hands now. Instead, take a break so that you can be fresh to take it again if you need to. Thats what Ive been doing.

Have you gotten any results yet?
I ha

No I have not!!! Thank u for sharing ur experiences though ... I was just saying to someone else.. I was an A student in pharmacy school but I'm having a hard time coping with these exams even thought it's just another exam! I think the pressure we are under is making it harder.. I have my job that is putting pressure on me and I really have to start making money to pay for my expenses.. I wish they could understand all this issues when they were writing questions that has no right answer !!!!

Reactions: 1 user
No I have not!!! Thank u for sharing ur experiences though ... I was just saying to someone else.. I was an A student in pharmacy school but I'm having a hard time coping with these exams even thought it's just another exam! I think the pressure we are under is making it harder.. I have my job that is putting pressure on me and I really have to start making money to pay for my expenses.. I wish they could understand all this issues when they were writing questions that has no right answer !!!!

you pass yet?

Yes, this is just another exam and thats the way Ive been approaching it too. You are right about the added pressure though, expenses and job wise. It doesn't make it any easier.