CPJE January 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayuka001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone taking the CPJE this January/ February?

Just wanted to make a thread for those of us taking it this month/ Feb.
Please share your experiences, advice, and when you get your results.

Goodluck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Received my results today. Took the exam 2/17/17. Located in Ohio. This was my second attempt and I PASSED. I was pretty down after failing the first time. Took a couple months to regain the confidence to try again. Studied harder the second time because I knew what to expect. Congrats to those who passed and try again for those who failed. I've been there. Tough to swallow failing an exam like this but you can pass it.

Edit: My letter is marked as mailed on 3/17/17.

Reactions: 1 user
Received my results today. Took the exam 2/17/17. Located in Ohio. This was my second attempt and I PASSED. I was pretty down after failing the first time. Took a couple months to regain the confidence to try again. Studied harder the second time because I knew what to expect. Congrats to those who passed and try again for those who failed. I've been there. Tough to swallow failing an exam like this but you can pass it.

Congrats ,I'm in southern cali and I haven't received it yet !!!

How many questions did u think u miss? Did u feel confident when u walked out of exam? U think u passed at that time? I am seriously nervous..
Congratulations!!!

Please share how you studied differently the second time around thank you

I passed! Congrats to all those that passed.

Letter date 3/17/17. I did not get a score, just a long paragraph saying congrats and explaining the next steps.

For those that didn't pass, keep your head up. A piece of paper will never define who you are. This sounds cliche, and It's gonna suck right now, but turn that negative into a positive, and do what it takes to pass 2nd time around. Anything is possible!

Letter date 3/17/17. I did not get a score, just a long paragraph saying congrats and explaining the next steps.

For those that didn't pass, keep your head up. A piece of paper will never define who you are. This sounds cliche, and It's gonna suck right now, but turn that negative into a positive, and do what it takes to pass 2nd time around. Anything is possible!
Congrats! when did you take your exam?

Contrats!!! I am still waiting my result. Did u feel u pass when u walk out of test center? How many questions u think u missed?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many questions did u think u miss? Did u feel confident when u walked out of exam? U think u passed at that time? I am seriously nervous..
Congratulations!!!

I definitely felt more confident than the first time. I checked on answers I was unsure about and it seemed I got them all wrong (probably 8 questions that I could remember). I was very nervous to get the results. First attempt I got a 73.

Please share how you studied differently the second time around thank you

After the first time I got a feel for the types of questions they were asking. I am a practicing pharmacist at a retail pharmacy now and used on the job stuff to sharpen my clinical questions. First time around I read the whole Cali Law Book (that common one) but the second time I just did practice questions. Much more efficient studying the practice questions.

I took my exam on 2/25, got my result today (3/17). So almost 3 1/2 weeks later. My recommendation would be to take the exam at the "end of the testing period"...for example, if they are offering the exam all throughout January & February, but not in March, take the exam at the end of February. You will get your result at the same time as those who took the exam in the beginning of January. Whatever the BOP says when you call them, talking about "45-60 days from date of your exam"...thats BS. They are lying to us bc they are a bunch of lazy kids who sit there and not even try...

Anyways, as for the exam itself, it was a challenge for me bc I am a PGY-1 resident in a hospital, and a lot of that pointless retail stuff that I haven't had much experience with was actually on the CPJE. So I prepared for this by focusing a lot on counseling points, and by talking to my friends who do work in retail. counseling points and monitoring are important things to focus on for next time...

PS: CA BOP if you are reading this, you guys are LAME. Get your s*&t together and quit making everyones lives difficult.

peace

Reactions: 2 users
Failed.. 74
I feel like there is an error in computer system. I have studied really hard and many people who took this time failed by few points.

So sorry to hear that ohmycali! I understand your pain, all we can do is try again unfortunately :(

Failed.
Score: 67 (previous scores were 74 and 74; this was my 3rd attempt)
Test Date:02/25/17
Letter Date: 03/7/17

4th attempt's a charm?

I'm really disappointed in myself right now, but I guess this means I need to do something drastically different because my next try will be my last or else I'm going to have to do an internship again. I'm very confused how they scored this exam especially since the scaled points I received in each 3 areas were higher than the last time I took the exam yet I received an overall lower score than what I had received last time. FML. :(

Last edited:
Failed.. 74
I feel like there is an error in computer system. I have studied really hard and many people who took this time failed by few points.

I remember hearing somewhere (maybe on these message boards?) that you need to achieve a minimum score for each section (e.g. law, calculations, etc.) in order to pass. So a 74 may indicate that you failed a single section or two. It may just be a theory - I couldn't find anything explicitly stating this from the CABOP, so take it with a grain of salt.

I passed. Took it on Feb 3rd, and the letter was marked Mar 17th. This was my second attempt. Congrats to those who passed, and to those who failed, NEVER let this dreadful exam reflect on your competence to become an excellent pharmacist.

Hi Guys,
I am taking my CPJE the first week of April for the third time. I have been following your thread, and I am so sad for the people that didn't pass (and happy for those who did) Trust me I know how you feel, you are not alone. I have so much anxiety for my exam it has completely taken over my life. Good luck to everyone next time around. We can do this!

Guys, this was my second attempt as well and I passed: Score 84, test date 2/28/17, letter dated 3/17/17.
...I posted some study tips here originally but someone replied "nobody wants to read a long message", lol. Probably good advice. But I did pass after reading many previous threads where people shared valuable focus points. Anyways, good luck and send me a message if you have any questions with exam prep, I'll be glad to help.

Last edited:
My study sources were: Weissman Law Book and PharmCharts 2017. I only used RxPrep for its non-clinical sections such as healthcare safety/quality measures, sterile compounding (USP797 etc)... I purposely did NOT look at the clinical portion of RxPrep, I found that a bit overwhelming for just CPJE. If one could only memorize so much, I'd rather focus on what I can organize in my head and easily recall during the exam. The day before my exam, I did the sample CPJE questions, which was very helpful. You really don't need a bunch of study materials, focus on one for clinical and one for law. Law book I read once and did practice questions once, that was sufficient.

Has the CPJE changed on your 2nd attempt? My gf is taking the CPJE in July. Anybody here want to get the pharmacy charts together and get their group rate?

2017 Edition Pharmacy Charts - NAPLEX, CPJE Review | eBay

Guys, this was my second attempt as well and I passed: Score 84, test date 2/28/17, letter dated 3/17/17. I am in Seattle, got the result yesterday.

I found this thread towards the end of my exam prep. I have a lot of respect for everybody on this thread who worked so hard for the exam while showing the support for others. With CPJE, you could be a good pharmacy student and still not pass it. Or you could be a good pharmacist and not do well on this exam. I feel CPJE measures the test taking skills and/or exam prep methods. If you find the right approach to study, you can pass this $*&@#! exam.

My study sources were: Weissman Law Book and PharmCharts 2017. I only used RxPrep for its non-clinical sections such as healthcare safety/quality measures, sterile compounding (USP797 etc)... I purposely did NOT look at the clinical portion of RxPrep, I found that a bit overwhelming for just CPJE. If one could only memorize so much, I'd rather focus on what I can organize in my head and easily recall during the exam. The day before my exam, I did the sample CPJE questions, which was very helpful. You really don't need a bunch of study materials, focus on one for clinical and one for law. Law book I read once and did practice questions once, that was sufficient.

Also: If you feel more confident in the community arena, dig into the hospital side in your review a bit more, such as IV antibiotics. Or practice reading some hospital therapeutic dosing protocols. If your situation is vice versa, pay more attention to OTCs or whatever. You probably know both already, but this gives you more confidence and you will feel calmer when faced with unfamiliar territory during the exam. There were 4 questions I knew the answer to (so basic too!) but answered incorrectly during the exam. I suspect many here knew the answers and had the clinical/practical knowledge, but succumbed to exam nerves. CPJE is broad, the expanse of it made it difficult for many to study. Truth: people who passed the BCPS said CPJE was harder to study for!

So how do you study for an exam that could test you on everything under the sun? The only way for me to cope was identify the pharmacy practice hot topics in addition to knowing the usual heavy hitters. Hot topics: USP797/800, HIV, immunization, non-opioid pain meds, geri-psych, OTC...Usual heavy hitters: cards (HTN, LIPIDS), DM, anticoag, ID. Focus your efforts, you will be ok.

nobody wants to read long message

Guys, this was my second attempt as well and I passed: Score 84, test date 2/28/17, letter dated 3/17/17.
...I posted some study tips here originally but someone replied "nobody wants to read a long message", lol. Probably good advice. But I did pass after reading many previous threads where people shared valuable focus points. Anyways, good luck and send me a message if you have any questions with exam prep, I'll be glad to help.

I and I'm sure many others appreciates ur long and through detailed advice. That other poster was just plain rude.

Reactions: 1 users
I and I'm sure many others appreciates ur long and through detailed advice. That other poster was just plain rude.
No worries there and no offense taken. Shorter posts are easier to read. Thanks and positive vibes while studying:)

I failed the exam as well although I felt like I answered every question correctly ,do we have to wait 90 days to sit for the exam again ?

I failed the exam as well although I felt like I answered every question correctly ,do we have to wait 90 days to sit for the exam again ?
Yes, and If I were you I would get the paper work and check in ASAP b/c the BOP is super slow and all the new grads will be submitting their paper work pretty soon I imagine.
I speak from experience since I have failed it 2x now.

Yes, and If I were you I would get the paper work and check in ASAP b/c the BOP is super slow and all the new grads will be submitting their paper work pretty soon I imagine.
I speak from experience since I have failed it 2x now.
I can't imagine sitting at home again for 90 days and another month to wait for the results !!! I sent the paperwork yesterday

Just wondering, has anyone's license posted on the bop site from this cohort?

Sent my check in last week Tuesday, still no word.

hello everyone,
hope all of those who already took cpje passed, and best of luck to those who are about to take it.
I have a question about the math.
a friend of mine said she had one math question that involved mEq calculation, did any of you have a similar experience, I was skipping all the mole, mmole, mEq, mOsmol and PN calculations. now I am a little scared:scared::scared::scared::scared:

hello everyone,hope all of those who already took cpje passed, and best of luck to those who are about to take it.
I have a question about the math.
a friend of mine said she had one math question that involved mEq calculation, did any of you have a similar experience, I was skipping all the mole, mmole, mEq, mOsmol and PN calculations. now I am a little scared:scared::scared::scared::scared:

I just took mine a couple of days ago and I did have a question with mEq but I felt like they just through it in there as extra information to confuse us.... I felt like I answered the question correctly without using the given mEq....crap... maybe I did it wrong

I just took mine a couple of days ago and I did have a question with mEq but I felt like they just through it in there as extra information to confuse us.... I felt like I answered the question correctly without using the given mEq....crap... maybe I did it wrong
LOL, i know how that feels, did I really get it right or maybe not, I failed the first time and the time between the test and the result was worst than the failure itself.
I think to be on the safe side I will just try to go over the all calculation rules.
did you get a lot of dosing questions? or drugs and renal dose adjustments?

wish you best of luck

LOL, i know how that feels, did I really get it right or maybe not, I failed the first time and the time between the test and the result was worst than the failure itself.
I think to be on the safe side I will just try to go over the all calculation rules.
did you get a lot of dosing questions? or drugs and renal dose adjustments?

wish you best of luck
I know what you mean, this was my 3rd time and hopefully my last. I did have a few dosing and definitely renal adjustment questions.

Hi, everyone. I'm an out-of-state pharmacy grad who took the CPJE on July 19th and unfortunately failed. I got a 63, and the scores for each area were low for patient medications, very low for patient outcomes, and very low for pharmacy operations. I had no problem passing the NAPLEX back in June, but this test felt completely different as everyone has said before on SDN. I just wanted to know from the people who passed how they studied especially in regards to each section of the test, which study materials they thought worked best, and how long they studied for and how many hours a day. I know for the last part it's different for each person, but I guess I just want an idea since now I'll be working 40 hours a week while studying to try to make ends meet. I plan to take the CPJE at the end of October, so I only have about 40 something days left. Any advice would be appreciated! Congratulations to the people who passed.

Hi, everyone. I'm an out-of-state pharmacy grad who took the CPJE on July 19th and unfortunately failed. I got a 63, and the scores for each area were low for patient medications, very low for patient outcomes, and very low for pharmacy operations. I had no problem passing the NAPLEX back in June, but this test felt completely different as everyone has said before on SDN. I just wanted to know from the people who passed how they studied especially in regards to each section of the test, which study materials they thought worked best, and how long they studied for and how many hours a day. I know for the last part it's different for each person, but I guess I just want an idea since now I'll be working 40 hours a week while studying to try to make ends meet. I plan to take the CPJE at the end of October, so I only have about 40 something days left. Any advice would be appreciated! Congratulations to the people who passed.

Hi,
Best of luck the second time around. I am planning on taking the exam the end of October too. Please let me know on how you are preparing the second time around.