Coursesaver/Chad's videos/Kaplan OAT prep questions (please help an OAT newbie)

eyelovepuns

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am currently cramming to take the OAT in about 7 weeks (ahh!) and I have heard from multiple people that they really enjoyed using Chad's Videos/Coursesaver. Are these the same things? Also, I attempted to watch a free trial video and it said there were issues with the server--has anyone else had these problems recently, and have you been able to fix it?

Do you think that using the videos is a worthwhile resource, if I can get it to work? I am currently working through the kaplan book but it takes me way too long to try to get through each chapter.

Are there any other resources with lots of practice questions/practice exams that y'all would recommend? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't taken the OAT yet but am taking it in 3 weeks! I highly recommend Chad's videos/Coursesaver. They're almost the same thing, but you have to pay for the Coursesaver website. In my opinion the site is a little easier to navigate around than the other Chad's videos site. Plus, he deserves your money! It's only $50 for a month and includes quizzes and stuff. He has videos on gen chem, ochem, quantitative reasoning, and physics. I wouldn't worry too hard about working through the Kaplan Book honestly, unless you have time at some point. As for bio, that's the subject I'm currently cramming for because I got too overconfident about it and upon taking practice tests I realized I don't know as many details as I thought I did. I'm going through Feralis bio notes, which are great but I hate the formatting, and I also read the entire AP Bio Cliffsnotes book. For physiology, I'm watching Bozeman science videos on YouTube then reading the corresponding section on the Feralis bio notes.

As for practice, I recommend the OAT Destroyer books. I haven't worked through the QR section on there yet, but I've done most of the physics and good chunk of gen chem and ochem (and a little bio). I wouldn't say it's as overkill as everyone says, but they're definitely harder than what's going to be on the OAT. But it's TONS of good practice, so I highly recommend! I'm also using DATbootcamp.com, since the DAT and OAT are essentially the same tests except the OAT has physics. It has a ton of practice tests and great explanations for each question. Here's the link to the Feralis Bio notes: Feralis Biology Notes | DAT Bootcamp

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't taken the OAT yet but am taking it in 3 weeks! I highly recommend Chad's videos/Coursesaver. They're almost the same thing, but you have to pay for the Coursesaver website. In my opinion the site is a little easier to navigate around than the other Chad's videos site. Plus, he deserves your money! It's only $50 for a month and includes quizzes and stuff. He has videos on gen chem, ochem, quantitative reasoning, and physics. I wouldn't worry too hard about working through the Kaplan Book honestly, unless you have time at some point. As for bio, that's the subject I'm currently cramming for because I got too overconfident about it and upon taking practice tests I realized I don't know as many details as I thought I did. I'm going through Feralis bio notes, which are great but I hate the formatting, and I also read the entire AP Bio Cliffsnotes book. For physiology, I'm watching Bozeman science videos on YouTube then reading the corresponding section on the Feralis bio notes.

As for practice, I recommend the OAT Destroyer books. I haven't worked through the QR section on there yet, but I've done most of the physics and good chunk of gen chem and ochem (and a little bio). I wouldn't say it's as overkill as everyone says, but they're definitely harder than what's going to be on the OAT. But it's TONS of good practice, so I highly recommend! I'm also using DATbootcamp.com, since the DAT and OAT are essentially the same tests except the OAT has physics. It has a ton of practice tests and great explanations for each question. Here's the link to the Feralis Bio notes: Feralis Biology Notes | DAT Bootcamp
thank you! did you have any technical difficulties with coursesaver and if so, how did you work around them?

thank you! did you have any technical difficulties with coursesaver and if so, how did you work around them?
Occasionally the videos would freeze up so I'd have to refresh, but I'm guessing that's when maybe the site was busy and the servers were overloaded. Other than that, I never had a problem with the videos not working!

Members don't see this ad :)
Occasionally the videos would freeze up so I'd have to refresh, but I'm guessing that's when maybe the site was busy and the servers were overloaded. Other than that, I never had a problem with the videos not working!
oh ok. if you don't mind me asking, what internet browser do you use for it? thanks :)

Im currently enrolled in a Kaplan online course, and I am taking the test in Sept. I have been supplementing the kaplan course with Chad's videos and I feel like his videos are great for when you just need to re learn something quick, but have it make sense. I find that when I go to other video resources like Khan... Im just listening to the material and not actually learning... Chad is short and sweet, and keeps you engaged. After graduating college I basically forgot everything I learned in chem and physics haha and I have relearned so much just through Chad. Kaplan is good, but a resource like Chad is a great add on to your studying right now. I also heard that he is pretty good at teaching what is 100% necessary, no fluff :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am using Chad's videos for the dat.
He is awesome
Coursesaver videos freeze because you need to download the latest flash player version for your Chrome and allow it to work, because chrome has disabled adobe flash
Learn how to do that here
Another option is to go to chemprep ChemistryPrep
This is Chad's website, his gen chem is free
and for the other materials, you can subscribe for 10 dollars a month.

He has quizzes as well.
but coursesaver is good as well and has a lot of quizzes.

Just make sure to take notes while you watch his videos and solve the quizzes right away.

Reactions: 1 users
Haven't taken the test yet but:

Content:
I'm using the Kaplan book, Khan Academy videos, Chad's videos. The book took me 2 weeks to cover and I probably studied 3-4 chapters a day. I find Chad's videos and some Khan Academy videos pretty much go over the material in the book so good alternative if you're not a quick reader or a fan of it. However, always good to have more than one resource just to make sure the info is accurate and helps if one resource explains better than the other.

Practice:
I did the questions in the Kaplan book. I plan to take the 2 practice tests that come with the Kaplan book and I heard OAT Achiever is good practice as well (planning on trying it out soon). Kaplan has a test August 23 for practice on their website as well, just need to enroll (free). There's also the practice test on the ADA website.

I haven't taken it yet though, so I'm not sure how good my study plan is...