Country for Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DanzIL

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum, I have tried to search for a thread that would answer my question, but I couldnt find any. I am a 4th course medicine student in Europe, and my girlfriend is a 3rd course dentistry student - both of us will be graduating at the same time, and we were thinking about a country for us to start our residency and internship in. currently we are considering the option of doing the american exams, but we would still like to think or hear about any other possibilities. We wouldn't mind to learn another language or to take an exam, though we are looking for a country where the working conditions, salary, and residency will be good for both doctors and dentists.

we would also like to know about the process of applying for residency and/or getting a visa(if needed).
Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DanzlL,

The questions you are asking are unfortunately very relative and subjective. In general, there isn't really a place where you have an amazing residency, great working conditions, and a great salary all at the same time, especially if you're a migrant.

Off the top of my head, the best places that meet most of your criteria would be as follows, with the downsides right after:
  • USA - As a foreigner, you have a very limited choice in the specialty you can do, and often times the hospitals that take foreign doctors are known to be quite harsh with very little thought about your actual education. But the salary is good afterward. Also, residency is legally up to 80 hours/week, but oftentimes you can push 100+ hours / week, excluding research, study time, teaching, etc.
  • Canada - Ditto with the working hours, but also extremely difficult to get into. Usually choices are limited to Family Medicine and MAYBE Internal Medicine if you're lucky. You need to be willing to work in very under-served areas, even after you're done.
  • U.K. - Salary after you're done isn't quite as high, and internship + residency training is unnecessarily long.
  • Australia - Melanoma-city
  • Norther Europe - Always cold. Residency is relatively light (as in, 40 hours / week for most residencies), and you have a lot more choice of specialties. But then you have to learn a completely new language, and the salaries aren't quite as high. Working conditions are good though.
So as you can see, no place is perfect, and you can easily rewrite this list and have it come out completely differently based on what matters most to you. As for the process of applying to residency/visa/etc., you should research that on your own, or ask once you've decided on one specific place.

Cheers!

Hey DanzlL,

The questions you are asking are unfortunately very relative and subjective. In general, there isn't really a place where you have an amazing residency, great working conditions, and a great salary all at the same time, especially if you're a migrant.

Off the top of my head, the best places that meet most of your criteria would be as follows, with the downsides right after:
  • USA - As a foreigner, you have a very limited choice in the specialty you can do, and often times the hospitals that take foreign doctors are known to be quite harsh with very little thought about your actual education. But the salary is good afterward. Also, residency is legally up to 80 hours/week, but oftentimes you can push 100+ hours / week, excluding research, study time, teaching, etc.
  • Canada - Ditto with the working hours, but also extremely difficult to get into. Usually choices are limited to Family Medicine and MAYBE Internal Medicine if you're lucky. You need to be willing to work in very under-served areas, even after you're done.
  • U.K. - Salary after you're done isn't quite as high, and internship + residency training is unnecessarily long.
  • Australia - Melanoma-city
  • Norther Europe - Always cold. Residency is relatively light (as in, 40 hours / week for most residencies), and you have a lot more choice of specialties. But then you have to learn a completely new language, and the salaries aren't quite as high. Working conditions are good though.
So as you can see, no place is perfect, and you can easily rewrite this list and have it come out completely differently based on what matters most to you. As for the process of applying to residency/visa/etc., you should research that on your own, or ask once you've decided on one specific place.

Cheers!
I'll help narrow this down.
Can't apply to Canada without being a Canadian citizen/permanent resident. There's no ifs and buts about it.
Essentially zero chance of landing an UK internship without having a EU citizenship. Only way around this is if you're a non-eu graduating from a UK med school.
Australia doesn't even have enough internship spot for kids graduating from their own schools.
US is really the one feasible option.

In any case, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for the help! perhaps does anyone know anything about getting into an internship in the Netherlands?