Costs of sleep studies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I m trying to understand the cost to the patient and the numbers behind private practice.

How much does a typical sleep study reimburse? I v heard numbers anywhere from $600 to upto $3000. I did a two week sleep rotation but I didn't feel comfortable enough to ask the question. One of the attendings at my residency believes it's probably around the $1200 range?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the region. But iirc, that's about right for an attended study for the technical fee. The reading fee is far less, about $120s or so. I also heard that medicare is going to mandate all sleep labs to be AASM accredited which is not an easy feat.

Depends on the region. But iirc, that's about right for an attended study for the technical fee. The reading fee is far less, about $120s or so. I also heard that medicare is going to mandate all sleep labs to be AASM accredited which is not an easy feat.

What would AASM accreditation entail?

Yes the physician interpretation reimbursement from Medicare is $127.

Using the CMS website it shows the price for a attended overnight test to be $689 (95810).

In the real world what is the reimbursement to the clinic more like? Does the center usually get something like $600-700? Seems like it wouldn't be enough to operate a sleep lab and all the overhead?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Michael Rack; it also depends on the facility. More extensive facilities may do end up getting higher reimbursement for sleep studies. However, it also depends on the type of sleep studies. Some insurance providers do provide cover for sleep studies which can range anywhere from $500 to $3000 for a patient.

I think that in all regions prices are different anyway. Somewhere less somewhere more.

Hey guys

I m trying to understand the cost to the patient and the numbers behind private practice.

How much does a typical sleep study reimburse? I v heard numbers anywhere from $600 to upto $3000. I did a two week sleep rotation but I didn't feel comfortable enough to ask the question. One of the attendings at my residency believes it's probably around the $1200 range?
In house, they can be billed up to around $5000. In home ones would be around $500-$1000.