Correlation between mistakes and step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stronghold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really feel crap after the exam. I discover more mistakes every day. Is there any correlation between number of mistakes and the real deal? Are there people who had more than 30 mistakes and still have 250 or high 240?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the NBME exams, 8 wrong = 266; 9 wrong = 264. Those are 200-question tests, so 322/200 x 9 is ~14-15 wrong for a 264 on the real deal.

I'd say a 260 is ~3 wrong/block = ~21 wrong on the real deal.

That's why Free-150 is so accurate. If you get 93% on that, you're looking at ~260 on the real deal, since that translates to ~300/322 = ~21-22 wrong.

Chances are, you probably had a couple blocks that you rocked and then others that you got 4 or 5 wrong. But it balances out.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on the NBME exams, 8 wrong = 266; 9 wrong = 264. Those are 200-question tests, so 322/200 x 9 is ~14-15 wrong for a 264 on the real deal.

That's why Free-150 is so accurate. If you get 93% on that, you're looking at ~260 on the real deal, since that translates to ~300/322 = ~21-22 wrong.

Chances are, you probably had a couple blocks that you rocked and then others that you got 4 or 5 wrong. But it balances out.

Interesting! Thank you! Does this mean if you have 30 mistakes you are in the 250 range!!

Any other inputs and experiences??

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't use a linear regression for mistakes--it just depends on the form you take entirely

Interesting, but I guess we can estimate! I don't think I am the only person obsessive about this, so probably there are guys who counted there mistakes and had there scores

Interesting, but I guess we can estimate! I don't think I am the only person obsessive about this, so probably there are guys who counted there mistakes and had there scores

Oh i'm all for it also--and would love to see the data. I'm just saying that we cant come up with a formula that says 2 errors = 1.3 points on the test, because at different parts of the score distribution, an error has a varying effect on your score. thats all!

He

Hey Phloston. You seem to know a lot about this stuff. Mind telling me how many experimental questions there are??
The free 150 questions were so easy, I was hoping that I'd need to get a smaller percentage right to get a comparable score in the real thing. I did mine a week ago and already my stupid mistake count is at 10. Bye bye 250:(

He

Hey Phloston. You seem to know a lot about this stuff. Mind telling me how many experimental questions there are??
The free 150 questions were so easy, I was hoping that I'd need to get a smaller percentage right to get a comparable score in the real thing. I did mine a week ago and already my stupid mistake count is at 10. Bye bye 250:(

Aww poor thing! Already at 10 mistakes?!?!?

After long analysis:
19-20 mistakes: 260
29-32 mistakes: 250
41-45 mistakes: 240

However, I don't know if experimental questions still there in step 1. I hope no, but I guess there were no experimental questions in step 1 for at least the last year.

Another point, I don't know yet what get you more points, easy questions or hard ones?!
For example, 25 mistakes in NBME 13= 242, while 28 mistakes = 240!! So there is a big variability in weight of questions

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After long analysis:
19-20 mistakes: 260
29-32 mistakes: 250
41-45 mistakes: 240

However, I don't know if experimental questions still there in step 1. I hope no, but I guess there were no experimental questions in step 1 for at least the last year.

Another point, I don't know yet what get you more points, easy questions or hard ones?!
For example, 25 mistakes in NBME 13= 242, while 28 mistakes = 240!! So there is a big variability in weight of questions
So you're saying that 90% right on the exam, or roughly 30 mistake equates to only 250?? Honestly I thought it'd be around 260 since the free questions give you 260 with 90% right. I don't know what to believe.

So you're saying that 90% right on the exam, or roughly 30 mistake equates to only 250?? Honestly I thought it'd be around 260 since the free questions give you 260 with 90% right. I don't know what to believe.

where are you getting that? I've read elsewhere that 90% equals 270.

i know this is an old post..but how many would 11 mistakes be?? thanks

Like heart sounds? What other audio questions could there be?
Like there might be a male/female patient explaining what she's feeling and the question asks what could be the diagnosis, these were actually fun questions i looked forward to!

Like there might be a male/female patient explaining what she's feeling and the question asks what could be the diagnosis, these were actually fun questions i looked forward to!
On Step 1??? I've never heard of these types of questions before...

On Step 1??? I've never heard of these types of questions before...
yeah there were several of them on my exam. lucky i was able to practice some of them on nbme 19. they were actually fun questions. i guess they might be experimental questions (new type of asking questions)