Cornell Qatar admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow congratulations! when are the the interview dates?

Medmad can you tell us your stats please? :oops:

I have to say that I have great EC's along with excellent letters of recommendation.

I hope you get an invite soon (if you haven't received one already). I am rooting for you...:thumbup:

BTW, they still haven't given me the date yet.....they said they'll get in touch with me soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yes I have not gotten the date either. The only downside is that Ill be spending $2k just to attend an interview .... and its not guaranteed that I will get accepted .... hmmm

yes I have not gotten the date either. The only downside is that Ill be spending $2k just to attend an interview .... and its not guaranteed that I will get accepted .... hmmm

holly cow you are right. I was just checking flights in early march from ottawa to Doha and they cost over 2K :eek:

good luck to both of you and thanks Medmad for your wishes

Members don't see this ad :)

i didnt get anything.... :(
what does this mean? is it over for me?

My status is till decision pending...did any of yours change?

What else did the email say? Did they mention cut offs/averages or how many people were accepted..etc??

i didnt get anything.... :(
what does this mean? is it over for me?

My status is till decision pending...did any of yours change?

What else did the email say? Did they mention cut offs/averages or how many people were accepted..etc??

Don't freak out... no news is good news. It could be that they send interview invites in waves.

All the email said was that I am approved for an interview and will be contacted soon by the admissions office. Secondly, this was NOT an acceptance email. They don't accept you without interviewing you first. Many qualified applicants are rejected after interviews because it gets so competitive by that point.

BTW, I heard that American Airline's ticket to Doha costs $835 one way. I guess Collasalmockery could check their website out.

Last edited:
Don't freak out... no news is good news. It could be that they send interview invites in waves.

All the email said was that I am approved for an interview and will be contacted soon by the admissions office. Secondly, this was NOT an acceptance email. They don't accept you without interviewing you first. Many qualified applicants are rejected after interviews because it gets so competitive by that point.

BTW, I heard that American Airline's ticket to Doha costs $835 one way. I guess Collasalmockery could check their website out.

First of all I want to congratulate you on the good news!!!

Seeing your stats have got me worried. My GPA is around their accepted average last year (~3.5). Which is way lower than what you guys have... so I think this year it is a lot more competitive.

Usually they send interview invites to everyone then they send the rejected emails (what happened to me with UofT and other universities).

I doubt they send it in waves.

Dont worry handsome. I hope you get what is best for you.

I am hoping that they give flexible time for interview date as we will have to travel that far. I know one guy from UofT who got into Cornell Qatar last year. He was an Arab though.

I am not sure how many people Cornell Qatar interviews from overseas. I guess it will be very competitive as we will be interviewing for 1-2 international seats. I guess just gotta convince em that we are a perfect fit for their school, city and country. I hope past experiences in Arab societies will support that claim.

For tickets, I think I am gonna buy from Canada to London, then a separate ticket from London to Doha. Will make it around $1200. God willing.

Dont worry handsome. I hope you get what is best for you.

I am hoping that they give flexible time for interview date as we will have to travel that far. I know one guy from UofT who got into Cornell Qatar last year. He was an Arab though.

I am not sure how many people Cornell Qatar interviews from overseas. I guess it will be very competitive as we will be interviewing for 1-2 international seats. I guess just gotta convince em that we are a perfect fit for their school, city and country. I hope past experiences in Arab societies will support that claim.

For tickets, I think I am gonna buy from Canada to London, then a separate ticket from London to Doha. Will make it around $1200. God willing.

I know that person who got in last year, used to be in my classes, he advised me to apply this year.

They accept more than 1-2 international students.

Inshallah I will at least have a chance for an interview this year... Applied to over 20 universities and no interviews at all. This will be my last chance for this year.

I know that person who got in last year, used to be in my classes, he advised me to apply this year.

They accept more than 1-2 international students.

Inshallah I will at least have a chance for an interview this year... Applied to over 20 universities and no interviews at all. This will be my last chance for this year.

check pm.

did anyone get the potential interview dates in the email? I cannot attend anyone of them, I hope they can transfer it further into the mid of March.

did anyone get the potential interview dates in the email? I cannot attend anyone of them, I hope they can transfer it further into the mid of March.

wow are the interview dates that soon?

I hope they tell the rest of us our fates already, it's so cruel to keep us waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow are the interview dates that soon?

I hope they tell the rest of us our fates already, it's so cruel to keep us waiting.

yea they gave me one to choose from march 7 to march 11. I already have my plans till march 12 :eek:

I hope you hear soon. inshALLAH.

yea they gave me one to choose from march 7 to march 11. I already have my plans till march 12 :eek:

I hope you hear soon. inshALLAH.

thats really unlucky... is it just march 7 or 11? or is it also anytime in between?
i hope they can accomodate u since ur traveling that far.

I got an invite yesterday, but the trip fares from LA to Doha are insane. :(

That means they are still sending invites.
What are ur stats?

Yeah they are. Good luck and hold your nerve!

MCAT: 13PS/12BS/9VR/MW, cGPA: 3.87, sciGPA: 3.93, and I got a first author pub and a couple of extra-cc. (Lebanese citizen).

Yeah they are. Good luck and hold your nerve!

MCAT: 13PS/12BS/9VR/MW, cGPA: 3.87, sciGPA: 3.93, and I got a first author pub and a couple of extra-cc. (Lebanese citizen).

these r some awesome stats man! Good luck.

thats really unlucky... is it just march 7 or 11? or is it also anytime in between?
i hope they can accomodate u since ur traveling that far.

I have to choose a day from 8, 9, 10 or 11. They say in the email "Please select a date that most suit your schedule and inform us of your choice of the interview date."

Of course none of them fits into my schedule especially since I am flying half way across the world and have already confirmed my plans of traveling to the US during that time. I hope they are flexible enough to make it after March 15.

Hey guys,

Did anyone apply for visitor visa from Qatar embassy for visiting Qatar for interview purposes?

Regards

It depends on where you live I think, but it shouldn't be too hard to get. Just make sure you get it soon enough , like a a couple of weeks or so before your interview.

Wow. The dates theyve given to students for interview, does not seem they are being too flexible with international students in regards to travel plans.

Wow. The dates theyve given to students for interview, does not seem they are being too flexible with international students in regards to travel plans.

It's a mess. It takes 7 working days for the embassy to issue a visa with no exceptions, and you have to do it by mail since they are in DC, which means an extra 3 working days at least. I'm a little dissapointed that they did not send us any information regarding visas, so now I have to wait for their recommendations to see if I can move my interview.

It's a mess. It takes 7 working days for the embassy to issue a visa with no exceptions, and you have to do it by mail since they are in DC, which means an extra 3 working days at least. I'm a little dissapointed that they did not send us any information regarding visas, so now I have to wait for their recommendations to see if I can move my interview.

Yea I also found that to be a reluctance on their part. I've emailed the concerning person at WCMC-Q to provide me with info from where to get my visa. Apparently they have no embassy in Canada and I have to contact one in DC, USA.

Here is the DC info:

QATAR His Excellency Ali Fahad F.A. AL-HAJRI (M) Ambassador Embassy of the State of Qatar 2555 M Street N.W. Washington, D.C., DC 20037-1305 United States of America Tel: (202) 274-1600 Fax: (202) 237-0061

Last edited:
If you are an American or Canadian citizen - you can get a visitors VISA at the airport when you get here.

I am a 2nd year MD student here - let me know if you guys have any questions.

If you are an American or Canadian citizen - you can get a visitors VISA at the airport when you get here.

I am a 2nd year MD student here - let me know if you guys have any questions.

Wow. Are there any requirements for that visa other than the possession of a Canadian passport? Like having a certain amount of cash or something?

There is a fee for the visa (around 50$ or less), which I payed using a credit card and that was sufficient.

This thread seems to be dying here .
So did anyone else get an invite ?

anybody know for how long will the interview season go for external applicants? and when are decisions finally made? It's my understanding that this is a non-rolling admissions school.. but is it completely really non-rolling? it doesn't matter at all if you interview earlier vs. later?

anyone interviewed yet? How was the experience?

It was quite a nice experience. The facilities are amazing, with lots of opportunities to forge your own path (research, international medicine...etc). The people were nice too, and there's a lot of effort (and money) being spent for the whole project. They want to make Cornell and Doha a worldclass healthcare hub for the region. Have you interviewed yet?

I was told final decisions should arrive by early April, so I guess they still might give interviews from now till then. Now I just have to wait and cross my fingers.

It was quite a nice experience. The facilities are amazing, with lots of opportunities to forge your own path (research, international medicine...etc). The people were nice too, and there's a lot of effort (and money) being spent for the whole project. They want to make Cornell and Doha a worldclass healthcare hub for the region. Have you interviewed yet?

I was told final decisions should arrive by early April, so I guess they still might give interviews from now till then. Now I just have to wait and cross my fingers.

Not yet, Ill have the interview soon though. How were the interviewers? Interrogative? Conversational? Was it easy to find your way to WCMC-Q in education city? Provided the public transport system is not that accessible ....

Not yet, Ill have the interview soon though. How were the interviewers? Interrogative? Conversational? Was it easy to find your way to WCMC-Q in education city? Provided the public transport system is not that accessible ....

The interviewers were conversational. The regular stuff. I took a cab, and the driver knew where I was going so it wasn't that tough.

One of my interviewers was very interrogative, he had basically memorized my app and asked me questions on each of my activities. In terms of the school, it is pretty good and resources are abundant. Your app has to get approved from the campus in NY too after the interview.

I am not in a position to interpret anything about how my interviews went but inshAllah hoping for the best.

so what's new here?

has anybody not even heard an interview decision yet? I called the director and she said i should know by next week.. what's taking them so long.

and any acceptances yet? :thumbup:

Thinker, was the director referring to people getting an interview or the decision post-interview? My file recently went under review but I fear since this is a non-rolling school, I'm already too late. I would be an external candidate anyway.

She was talking about whether or not to get an interview. i'm puzzled because interviews for us externals should be only in March so we are they still reviewing our file.. well hope is nice i guess

anyone got their post-interview decisions yet? What about you Jorge?

Nope. The application status changed though to "Under review by admissions committee" from "Decision pending". :scaredy

I'll keep you posted.

Any Post- Interview decisions yet? Didn't they say they will let us know early april, so whats taking them so long.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD, I CANT BELIEVE IT

Got the email from Dr. Triggle this morning.

Just got my acceptance.

Congrats medmad!!

I also got an acceptance from AUB (American University in Beirut) with a half tuition scholarship. Any recommendations/ideas? Definitely leaning heavily to WCMC-Q right now.

Just got my acceptance.

Congrats medmad!!

I also got an acceptance from AUB (American University in Beirut) with a half tuition scholarship. Any recommendations/ideas? Definitely leaning heavily to WCMC-Q right now.

Thanks and Congrats! I really don't know much about AUB but since I live in New York, I can assure you that Weill Cornell is a BIG name here. You could check out the residency placements of recent grads from WCMC-Q to see how competitive WCMC-Q is. I guess its your choice at the end but if you want to be an FMG/IMG, you better become one from an overseas AMERICAN school.

Congrats gentlemen!! what a nice email eh?

I have an AUB acceptance here but i have to say that Cornell Qatar >>>> AUB. So it shouldn't be even a question, especially that Cornell has very good financial aid.

congratulations again!

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm 95% sure that Cornell is the right choice, even though my family is confusing me. They want me to go to leb.

Thinker, do you have any idea about AUB's residency placements? They don't publish any information, but I think they have some strong connections.