Cornell Qatar admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I hear good things about Saudia. I've always wanted to live there ever since I was a teen. I even meet a lot of Americans that lived and worked there who totally loved it. I'm surprised that even wealthy Saudis don't want to attend WCMC-Q. But, then again, they're wealthy and may not want to pass up opportunities in the US or around the globe. Aren't medical schools in Saudia free? Do any of the schools in Saudia offer MD degrees rather than a bachelors of medicine? I heard there's a good school for women in Makkah, but I can never seem to get a hold of their application. Sooo...radiology it is :) That's going to be nice and lax, LOL! Chaaa ching $$$ But, it's interesting for sure.

Saudia is not all bell and whistles. Despite being born there and living among them, I, and all other middle-class Kharjis, especially from South Asia, have faced severe discrimination in all aspects of life. Sure, not all Saudis are racist. But the "kafeel" system is by default discriminatory. In addition, there is a wide discrepancy between the Islam that is imposed and the Islam that is practiced. From the outside, it seems to be really an "Islamic" place with Mutawwas fighting all that is vile and vice. Actually, the academic institutions are pretty liberal and if you visit them, you do not feel that you are in any "Islamic" country. The epitome of this liberation will be KAUST that is being constructed by HAramco.

end of my rant. moreover, I dont know if it is possible for you to get into a Saudi med school without holding a Saudi citizenship.

Regarding the Qatar Cornell, anyone applied for scholarships?

I read that you have to be accepted before applying for scholarships through
the Qatar Foundation.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everybody.. can anybody tell me what sat1 , sat 2 and toefl scores are gud enough for admission into pre med at cornell qatar..?

No news yet. Maybe all of the applications are under review right about now. Are there any hijabis on this forum that have been accepted to WCMC-Q? If so, what did you wear to your interview? Is it appropriate to wear the traditional Khaliji abaya that's not full of gaudy details?

Hey all, Im a first year premed student at WCMC-Q.

Abt the standardized test scores, check out the answer to Question 8 on FAQs on this link
http://www.qatar-med.cornell.edu/education/admin/premed/pre_faq.html#Question7
But then again, in my class there are ppl with scores ranging from 1600 to 2300 so there isnt anything fixed. So yea, dont worry too much if ur scores are too low.

Btw it takes really long to get interview invites, from the people in my batch, the earliest interviews took place in February something.

And about interview attire for hijabis. Well i'm not arab altho I do wear the head scarf but not abaya. But yea ppl do wear the abaya for interviews, even niqabis come in their full attire for interviews:) and um, sorry but I dont know the difference between a khaliji abaya and a normal one:S

Anyways if u have any more questions, do ask and I'l do my best to answer them.
Tc!

Thanks! That was very helpful. How did they contact you for an invite? Did they call or email you?

i know from other interviews, a suit is required. but i guess the guidelines of interview etiquette are less strict in qatar.

LOL! The thought of it makes me cringe. Had I applied to US schools and were offered interviews, I would never swap my jilbab and/or abaya for a suit. They'd just have to get over it.

hey canmends,

am just applying for cornell-qatar premed, i wanna ask about posted sat and toefl scores for 2008 batch(SAT math 676 average, toefl 604 average,gpa 3.8) do you really think they're accurate? and if you please know any student in carnegie mellon,send his email i have some question too.

Email. Through that admission portal thing.
But I kind of kept calling them once a week prior to that, inquiring about the status of my application. I got my invite in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,
i want help from WCMC-Qs tudents about my admission:
my scores are:
SAT math :620
reading:400
writing 460
i expect toefl to be in 90's, am doing SAT subject test in math(level2),chemistry,physics.

do you know anyone accepted with such credential?

Email. Through that admission portal thing.
But I kind of kept calling them once a week prior to that, inquiring about the status of my application. I got my invite in April.

About how many times did you call them before you received an invite? Thanks!

Erm. Lets say once a week since january to april. Okay maybe not every single week. but u get my drift.

Thanks! So, has anyone heard anything yet? January is flying by.

i havent heard a word since they asked for my fall grades. i imagine interview invites would probably start going out in two weeks or so if theyre going to make decisions by march.

Does anyone know how being married could affect your chances at this school?

I'm not sure. I noticed that it doesn't ask about your marital status on the actual application.
I imagine that being married wouldn't matter unless you are worried about obtaining a visa
and family housing.

Last edited:
i havent heard a word since they asked for my fall grades. i imagine interview invites would probably start going out in two weeks or so if theyre going to make decisions by march.

It looks like we can no longer login to the portal. So, maybe we're going to hear from them soon.

It looks like we can no longer login to the portal. So, maybe we're going to hear from them soon.

Has anyone called them to see why we can't access the application portal anymore? It was my understanding that we'd find out about interviews and acceptances through there.

Maybe they're updating it? I just noticed that it disappeared today. I haven't contacted them yet. However, even when they send a message through the portal, the same message is sent to your email account.

Okay, it's back. It's just no longer on the first page.

i got the interview invite via email this morning!

What dates did they offer you if you don't mind me asking?

I forgot to ask this question a while back. Did anyone experience a problem
with formatting the essay portion of the application? Even when I used like
Notepad it didn't work. It would lump the whole essay back into a paragraph.

the email was from head of admissions and she said the office would be in touch to give me dates. she just said I was approved for an interview.

Does anyone know how being married could affect your chances at this school?

Nope it wouldnt. In fact, one of the people in my batch (Class of 2014) is married. lol.

Cool! So, is there family housing? Or, do families live off of campus?

Has any other external applicant received an invite? One more day left I think!

one more day left until what?

congrats mkitty. I am thinking to not apply to NY Cornell this summer if I dont get into Canadian schools. Id rather apply to Qatar Cornell as we cannot apply to both in the same year. The availability of interest-free loans and a driving distance from Makkah makes the deal all more interesting! Lets see.

Give us an approximation of your stats so that I can get an idea of their expectations from international applicants.

Congrats mkitty!

Has anyone recently called for a status check? The wait is killing me!

has anyone else heard back? it looks like ill be going to doha next week.

hey mkitty

congrats on your interview...just wondering if you dont mind answering...what kind of grades and mcat scores do you have, i'm just really unsure of what they are requiring...

hey mkitty

congrats on your interview...just wondering if you dont mind answering...what kind of grades and mcat scores do you have, i'm just really unsure of what they are requiring...

hey muslimah,
I think mkitty is too secretive about her/his stats. Regardless, I tried to follow her/his posts (not a stalker), from the invites she got at other colleges, it seems I would be reasonable to assume that she stands at >3.75 gpa and around 35ish or higher mcat. Thus, we can assume that we require similar stats to get an an invite from qatar. I could be totally off in my crude deductions but just ramblings of a wayfarer.

mkitty: sorry for my gross calculations. But someone HAD to do it. :p

Last edited:
i wasnt being secretive, i was setting up an md apps, but i just got too lazy to finish it up.

mcat 36
overall gpa 3.93
science gpa 3.9

in addition, i dont think anyone should take my stats as definitive indications of the type of applicant cornell interviews. ive learned that if you really want to get interviews, you merely need to have basic numbers, mcat>30, gpa>3.65

after that, it all boils down to your essay and your personality. you have to make sure who you really are shines through your personal statement.

hey mkitty

hope u have a great visit to doha, i'm here, if you have any q's feel free to drop a question on this forum :)

all the best

Hi FrieNdz... so, is anyone applying for the PrE-Meds.. ?

Hey Mkitty! How was your interview?! Please let us know! Details are welcomed! lol =)

I'm still here mkitty09. Did you like the school more than US schools?

hi mkitty,

Was that you who interviewed today?

I hope you liked the school. I would have showed you around but I was in the Anatomy lab. If it was you who interviewed today, you must have met my friend S.

Let me know if you have any questions?

~canmeds~

hey canmeds, yup that was me who interviewed on the 12th. i really enjoyed the school - although I wish I could have met more students. I did meet S though and he was really nice. the only bad thing about my entire visit was the sand storm. Now Im just waiting to hear back from them....

salafiyaah i liked the school a lotttt. it's exactly like US schools except for the fact that its in qatar - which is a mindblowingly rich country. Be prepared to answer why you specifically want to attend school in qatar. That was literally the first question in each of my interviews. Im excited to see what happens.

Yeah, I'm glad you liked it! It looks like a gorgeous school! I'm very
pleased that all of the students that I've met on this network are
honest and helpful. I'd pick WCMC-Q over the NY campus any day.

salams mkitty!!

I am glad you liked the school. Class of 2012 was in the Anatomy lab, and S. who is in my Anatomy group told me about you when he came to the lab half an hour late. :laugh:

I am sure inshallah you will be accepted!!! :thumbup: your acceptance will be sent by email if it is the same as last year. I know most people in the class you are applying to and they are a very nice bunch. If I had known you were coming that day... definitely would have should you around and introduced you to my class and people from your intended class.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the school.

~canmeds~

Heyy everyone! I've been waiting really long for this, I just got invited for a pre-med interview at Cornell, so inshalla I will be in Qatar on the 4th or the 9th, still haven't decided..

Anyways I was just wondering if anybody could give some advice before going into the interview?? =D