Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are there any current students out there who were waitlisted and willing to share their experiences. I was waitlisted and its kinda frustrating not knowing your ranking. its not a flat out denial but it feels like it. (Im oos so hopefully that waitlist moves bit as people get accepted to their instates/ people already accepted offers while they were on the waitlist)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be there Feb 3rd!

I'm trying to figure out financial aid for Cornell (because it's my top choice right now). Someone on here had mentioned that Cornell's graduate school gives grants for the vet students? Can someone qualify this? If so, what is the extent of the grant money offered? I thought that we were just a bunch of poor suckers left to fend for ourselves. If we can get tiny grants each year then that would be dope. Right now grants kind of sounds like a myth.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there Feb 3rd!

I'm trying to figure out financial aid for Cornell (because it's my top choice right now). Someone on here had mentioned that Cornell's graduate school gives grants for the vet students? Can someone qualify this? If so, what is the extent of the grant money offered? I thought that we were just a bunch of poor suckers left to fend for ourselves. If we can get tiny grants each year then that would be dope. Right now grants kind of sounds like a myth.

I'm very interested in learning more about this at the info session, or by any current students on here, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm very interested in learning more about this at the info session, or by any current students on here, as well.

Me too! I'm trying to figure out whether there really is much of a difference with grants being IS for UCD or OOS for Cornell. It would be nice to have an idea of what is really available for Cornell students.

are there any current students out there who were waitlisted and willing to share their experiences. I was waitlisted and its kinda frustrating not knowing your ranking. its not a flat out denial but it feels like it. (Im oos so hopefully that waitlist moves bit as people get accepted to their instates/ people already accepted offers while they were on the waitlist)
Hi! I'm a current third year out of state student who was waitlisted. I applied to 8 schools, was accepted to 5, and waitlisted at 1. For me, my instate tuition was so high that the difference between it and an out of state school was negligible in the long run. I accepted to University of Minnesota. The day or two after the acceptance deadline, I got the phone call from Jennifer. In my friend group alone, there are four or five of us who moved off the waitlist, the latest of whom was accepted in late June or early July - all out of state. I went to the accepted students day. On one hand, it was hard because I didn't want to fall in love with a school I didn't know if I could have. On the other hand, I think it helped me get in. It's REALLY important to see if the PBL suits your learning style. Yes, it's different on accepted students day and it's a lot of people talking at you but the mini PBL session at least provides a taste about what our curriculum is like. It hasn't been an easy three years but I'm so grateful for my Cornell education. Hope that helps!

Hi! I'm a current third year out of state student who was waitlisted. I applied to 8 schools, was accepted to 5, and waitlisted at 1. For me, my instate tuition was so high that the difference between it and an out of state school was negligible in the long run. I accepted to University of Minnesota. The day or two after the acceptance deadline, I got the phone call from Jennifer. In my friend group alone, there are four or five of us who moved off the waitlist, the latest of whom was accepted in late June or early July - all out of state. I went to the accepted students day. On one hand, it was hard because I didn't want to fall in love with a school I didn't know if I could have. On the other hand, I think it helped me get in. It's REALLY important to see if the PBL suits your learning style. Yes, it's different on accepted students day and it's a lot of people talking at you but the mini PBL session at least provides a taste about what our curriculum is like. It hasn't been an easy three years but I'm so grateful for my Cornell education. Hope that helps!

thats amazing.
Im really hoping to get off the list. I only applied to 4 schools and so far ive only heard back from cornell (ive been seeing lots of acceptances from th eother schools ive applied to already sent out so its super nerve racking !)

What is accepted students day? it is different from the information session right? Do you think it had a bearing on your wait list position? im sorry for soo many questions i probably should havePM'd you but i figured some other wait listed people could benefit from asking here.

the only issue with traveling to the school is how i would get there. I do not have a car that would make it (hello beat down 2005 with a shoddy transmission).

Any current students I could talk to about the PBL and general curriculum? It's been a few years since I went to an information session and I know a lot has changed
You can PM me if you still have questions!

Any folks currently in Ithaca have any advice about how driving is from Ithaca to Syracuse? Especially during the winter. We're trying to research options for my husband after the military.

I've driven to Syracuse quite a few times. It's about an hour, mostly highway driving, the snow honestly doesn't affect it much unless it is actively snowing while you're driving - otherwise the roads are kept very clear. The highways can be a little winding sometimes but not too bad. Ithaca in general is really good at plowing the roads, which is either a blessing if you've ever been stuck when a city shuts down from a couple inches of snow, or a curse because you know you still have to go to classes after a snowstorm...

Does anyone know if the information session is much different from the new student orientation in August, or if it was super helpful for accepted/decided peeps to attend? I'm coming from the other side of the nation and budget's kinda tight, so I want to make sure whether I should fly out there twice!

They are quite different. The accepted students day includes a mock tutor group session, a panel from current vet students and an information session about the college and tour - I would recommend going to accepted students day if you're trying to make your decision. That being said, as far as I know, attending accepted students day does not increase your chances of getting off the waitlist. The student orientation week is more like getting to know your classmates, doing activities with them, meeting your advisor, etc.

What is accepted students day? it is different from the information session right? Do you think it had a bearing on your wait list position? im sorry for soo many questions i probably should havePM'd you but i figured some other wait listed people could benefit from asking here.

See above - accepted students day includes an info session, so if you already attended an info session at Cornell beforehand you will hear some of the same info. But I think the mock tutor group session is really valuable to really put you in the shoes of a student in PBL. It won't be a great representation of PBL since you don't have the context of the rest of the course, the focus for your lectures that week, etc - but it's still good to start thinking about whether you will (or can grow to) feel comfortable learning in a small group environment, speaking up even when you have no idea what's going on, etc. Some people really don't like PBL even though they thought they would, and others who thought they would prefer traditional lectures really grew to love PBL!

thats amazing.
Im really hoping to get off the list. I only applied to 4 schools and so far ive only heard back from cornell (ive been seeing lots of acceptances from th eother schools ive applied to already sent out so its super nerve racking !)

the only issue with traveling to the school is how i would get there. I do not have a car that would make it (hello beat down 2005 with a shoddy transmission).

No problem :) Accepted students day is different from the informational sessions that they have throughout the year. At accepted students day, there are faculty speakers, a mock tutor group session, lunch with other acceptees and faculty who share your interests (small animal, equine, production, public health, etc). Our financial director discusses how to pay for vet school and you end the day with a tour of the vet school. I think me going to the accepted students day helped me get in. All of us in my friend group (I believe) who got in off the waitlist went. I know a guy who didn't go and didn't get in. But another commentor on here said that she's been twice and got rejected both years. As an aside, I was afraid I'd stick out because I was waitlisted. None of my peers or faculty cared and no one made a big deal about it on accepted students day.

Re transport - if you stay with a student, many are happy to come get you at either the bus station downtown or at the Ithaca airport. There's a shuttle that runs from NYC to literally outside the vet school. Ithaca is not the easiest place to get to. Other airports are Syracuse or Binghamton (one hour away each) or Rochester (2 hours but good luck getting in and out of there in the winter). Syracuse is definitely bigger than Binghamton. It's often more expensive to fly directly into Ithaca but renting a car and driving, especially if you're not comfortable driving in the snow, may be tougher. I grew up in New England and I've had some white-knuckle drives on 81. Let me know if you have other questions!

Also--anyone that's worried about flights and driving, I'm driving up from Albany on February 2nd for the February 3rd interview(I'm either staying with a current student or grabbing a hotel room for the night)and if you fly into Albany and need a ride, just pm me and we can try and figure it out!

No problem :) Accepted students day is different from the informational sessions that they have throughout the year. At accepted students day, there are faculty speakers, a mock tutor group session, lunch with other acceptees and faculty who share your interests (small animal, equine, production, public health, etc). Our financial director discusses how to pay for vet school and you end the day with a tour of the vet school. I think me going to the accepted students day helped me get in. All of us in my friend group (I believe) who got in off the waitlist went. I know a guy who didn't go and didn't get in. But another commentor on here said that she's been twice and got rejected both years. As an aside, I was afraid I'd stick out because I was waitlisted. None of my peers or faculty cared and no one made a big deal about it on accepted students day.

Re transport - if you stay with a student, many are happy to come get you at either the bus station downtown or at the Ithaca airport. There's a shuttle that runs from NYC to literally outside the vet school. Ithaca is not the easiest place to get to. Other airports are Syracuse or Binghamton (one hour away each) or Rochester (2 hours but good luck getting in and out of there in the winter). Syracuse is definitely bigger than Binghamton. It's often more expensive to fly directly into Ithaca but renting a car and driving, especially if you're not comfortable driving in the snow, may be tougher. I grew up in New England and I've had some white-knuckle drives on 81. Let me know if you have other questions!
I'm driving in and out of Rochester for the first session on January 27. Is it really that bad? I'm not from anywhere with snow.

Sorry I got a little confused - are "accepted students day" and "information session" not the same thing? I thought what we were invited to are information sessions, so is there a different event called accepted students day? (I am currently wait listed OOS) Thanks!

Sorry I got a little confused - are "accepted students day" and "information session" not the same thing? I thought what we were invited to are information sessions, so is there a different event called accepted students day? (I am currently wait listed OOS) Thanks!
Sorry about that! I believe they used to be called accepted students day but now looking at my email, they are information sessions. Jennifer Mailey also hosts general information/here's how to apply to Cornell sessions through the summer and fall for whoever is interested and the pre-vet clubs so I was just trying to distinguish the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm driving in and out of Rochester for the first session on January 27. Is it really that bad? I'm not from anywhere with snow.
The big roads are definitely cleared well but the challenge would be if it's actually snowing when you drive. In that case, you might benefit from waiting in Rochester overnight and driving in first thing in the morning. See what the forecast looks like though! If you're already on the road, find a plow and stay behind it and go slow.

The big roads are definitely cleared well but the challenge would be if it's actually snowing when you drive. In that case, you might benefit from waiting in Rochester overnight and driving in first thing in the morning. See what the forecast looks like though! If you're already on the road, find a plow and stay behind it and go slow.
What do you mean find a plow? Is that something I put on my car or is that a truck that drives? Sorry I am not versed in snow talk ;).

What do you mean find a plow? Is that something I put on my car or is that a truck that drives? Sorry I am not versed in snow talk ;).
a snow plow is a truck that pushed snow off the roads. so you would find a truck doing that and stay behind it. It would be moving really slowly so keep that in mind when planning time (i'd add extra time to your trip anyway since snow is going to slow you down a lot since you do not have any experience).

Anyone who PMd me- I was traveling, sorry for taking so long to answer! I will reply shortly!

Question for those students who live in Ithaca currently, or recently. What is housing like? Are there any apts or houses for rent close to the Vet Med campus?

^ YES to that question. I'm trying to find housingaround (or under) 500. Do students ever check out housing in Lansing? I found decent apartments online for 465.

Question for those students who live in Ithaca currently, or recently. What is housing like? Are there any apts or houses for rent close to the Vet Med campus?
(other current students can/should chime in) My roommates and I are under $500 and within 10min of the vet school. Many of our peers pay in the $550/$600 range for rent + utilities +/- pet fees. Ithaca isn't the cheapest place to live but generally, the vet students tend to live together. If you decide to come to Cornell, watch your email in the spring from current students looking for roommates. The bus system is fabulous so you can get away with not having a car. There are also apartments within biking distance. One thing to consider is if you want to get a job as a large animal or small animal emergency/after hours surgery tech. You need to live within 10 min of the school. Students do live in Lansing/Freeville; it's just a longer commute every day. On the days you have three hour breaks between classes and lab, just means you'll probably stay at school vs go home.

Reactions: 4 users
(other current students can/should chime in) My roommates and I are under $500 and within 10min of the vet school. Many of our peers pay in the $550/$600 range for rent + utilities +/- pet fees. Ithaca isn't the cheapest place to live but generally, the vet students tend to live together. If you decide to come to Cornell, watch your email in the spring from current students looking for roommates. The bus system is fabulous so you can get away with not having a car. There are also apartments within biking distance. One thing to consider is if you want to get a job as a large animal or small animal emergency/after hours surgery tech. You need to live within 10 min of the school. Students do live in Lansing/Freeville; it's just a longer commute every day. On the days you have three hour breaks between classes and lab, just means you'll probably stay at school vs go home.
Eastgate Apartments and East Plaza Apartments are some of those complexes that are really close to the vet school; students usually pay within the 500-550 range at Eastgate I believe (depending on how many roommates you have). And yes, you will definitely be getting tons of roommate emails in the spring!

So I'm still looking at around 600 (at least) for rent and utilities combined? Hmm... what on campus jobs are dope and pay the most? Ex: Mizzou hires vet students to dog walking for 5-6 hours a week at $12/hr. Is there anything that pays well for students on campus?

#HustleMode #DontJudge

So I'm still looking at around 600 (at least) for rent and utilities combined? Hmm... what on campus jobs are dope and pay the most? Ex: Mizzou hires vet students to dog walking for 5-6 hours a week at $12/hr. Is there anything that pays well for students on campus?

#HustleMode #DontJudge
I dont have a answer for you but i just wanted you to know that i didnt start to judge you until the hashtag dont judge lol :)

I'm an alternate and as much as I want to go to an information session to learn more about the program, I just don't think I can afford another plane ticket, hotel and rental car. As many of you, I've spent so much money on applications and interviews. Does anyone know if not going to an information session hurts you if you're on the waitlist?

I'm an alternate and as much as I want to go to an information session to learn more about the program, I just don't think I can afford another plane ticket, hotel and rental car. As many of you, I've spent so much money on applications and interviews. Does anyone know if not going to an information session hurts you if you're on the waitlist?
I'm in the same boat as you, but I've decided to go. It seems like they take note of your presence there (shows commitment) but don't actually evaluate you beyond that. The email that we got suggesting we go to an info meeting seemed very laced with *hint*hint*wink*wink*we expect you to be there*. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, though!

I'm in the same boat as you, but I've decided to go. It seems like they take note of your presence there (shows commitment) but don't actually evaluate you beyond that. The email that we got suggesting we go to an info meeting seemed very laced with *hint*hint*wink*wink*we expect you to be there*. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, though!
I felt this way as well but i just can not afford to get it out there .
i could possible do megabus to NYC then another to the campus but then its also days off of work etc.
I feel like i want to email jen mailey and explain

I felt this way as well but i just can not afford to get it out there .
i could possible do megabus to NYC then another to the campus but then its also days off of work etc.
I feel like i want to email jen mailey and explain
Yeah I'm not sure how they can expect everyone to make it there, especially financially for those of us who would be coming from a long distance. I guess it's worth giving her a call.

Yeah I'm not sure how they can expect everyone to make it there, especially financially for those of us who would be coming from a long distance. I guess it's worth giving her a call.
Maybe I'll email Jennifer explaining how I would love to go but can't afford it. What do you guys think?

Maybe I'll email Jennifer explaining how I would love to go but can't afford it. What do you guys think?

Thats what I am planning to do. i noticed she just emailed us about it again so i will probably reply to that email explaining the situation.
I am just trying to figure out how to word it.

she said in the email that if you are pulled off the waitlist you only have a day or two to decide

Just wanted to put it out there again, I live right outside of manhattan on the jersey side of things, if it helps anyone with cost I'm totally up for carpooling (also helps make the drive go by a little faster lol). I signed up for the Feb 3rd weekend!

Keep in mind that today is the last day you can sign up, so if you email her you probably won't get a response in time.

Thats what I am planning to do. i noticed she just emailed us about it again so i will probably reply to that email explaining the situation.
I am just trying to figure out how to word it.

she said in the email that if you are pulled off the waitlist you only have a day or two to decide
Keep in mind that today is the last day you can sign up, so if you email her you probably won't get a response in time.

This may be a long shot but I have to ask anyways! Are there any current students or recently accepted students from Florida?

im sorry im an idiot. but what exactly is needed for financial aid.
I filled out my fafsa and started the profile. do i just mail them tax returns for my mom and and i ?

Hey everyone I applied and was accepted to Cornell this past cycle and will be starting there in the fall, so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask or PM me! :)
Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? I will be applying this year and Cornell is definitely at the top of my list

im sorry im an idiot. but what exactly is needed for financial aid.
I filled out my fafsa and started the profile. do i just mail them tax returns for my mom and and i ?

Hey there! I too am currently in your same struggle boat with figuring out what all it is they want.
I'm doing loans and gifts so I've got some papers where I need to write a personal statement as to why I deserve the money.
Also, on your financial aid page does it show they've received your FAFSA yet? It doesn't on mine.

Has anyone gotten any information about staying with a student for the information session? I'm going to this first session in a few days and have heard nothing.

Has anyone gotten any information about staying with a student for the information session? I'm going to this first session in a few days and have heard nothing.

Elena from admissions emailed me on Friday to let me know who my host was, and my host emailed me on Saturday.

Elena from admissions emailed me on Friday to let me know who my host was, and my host emailed me on Saturday.

Okay. Got it. Shoot. Perhaps there aren't enough hosts. Did you get any details about anything else or just that?

Okay. Got it. Shoot. Perhaps there aren't enough hosts. Did you get any details about anything else or just that?

Nothing else about the program. I would email or call them if you haven't heard anything.

I got an email last Friday telling me there was not enough hosts

Hey there! I too am currently in your same struggle boat with figuring out what all it is they want.
I'm doing loans and gifts so I've got some papers where I need to write a personal statement as to why I deserve the money.
Also, on your financial aid page does it show they've received your FAFSA yet? It doesn't on mine.
mine doesnt say it has my fafsa but i just finished my fafsa last week so im not sure if its been fully processed yet.
im doing loans and gifts too. you have to send yours/moms/dads tax forms and w2 for 2015 unless you used the IRS data retrieval tool when doing the fafsa . i just got an email back from the financial aid office explaining.
i didnt do the profile yet because im waiting for my check to pay .. does it involve alot ?

Oh. Thank you. I didn't get an email some reason. I'll check with them.
Yea I would just ask! I signed up for the 1/27 info session, so maybe that's why I got the email on the RSVP deadline day

mine doesnt say it has my fafsa but i just finished my fafsa last week so im not sure if its been fully processed yet.
im doing loans and gifts too. you have to send yours/moms/dads tax forms and w2 for 2015 unless you used the IRS data retrieval tool when doing the fafsa . i just got an email back from the financial aid office explaining.
i didnt do the profile yet because im waiting for my check to pay .. does it involve alot ?
I'll be faxing all of those forms directly to their department, I think it'll be easier and faster. Ill probably also email them the papers just in case. I got an email as well saying that they're still processing the Fafsas and Profiles so the tracking page should be updated within a few weeks.
Yeah the Profile requires a lot of documents including your 1040, your parents 1040, tax returns, etc. Its basically as in depth as the FAFSA if not more. I recommend doing this with your parents present. Mine helped me a lot, there was a lot of information that was complicated.

I'll be faxing all of those forms directly to their department, I think it'll be easier and faster. Ill probably also email them the papers just in case. I got an email as well saying that they're still processing the Fafsas and Profiles so the tracking page should be updated within a few weeks.
Yeah the Profile requires a lot of documents including your 1040, your parents 1040, tax returns, etc. Its basically as in depth as the FAFSA if not more. I recommend doing this with your parents present. Mine helped me a lot, there was a lot of information that was complicated.

do you think i could fill it out just by using the info used on my fafsa?

do you think i could fill it out just by using the info used on my fafsa?
Honestly I don't know. My parents filled out my Fafsa for me. I think you could fill out most of it with your fafsa but the profile asks for a lot of specifics from your 1040 that I doubt the fafsa asks for.

#HustleMode #DontJudge

"Well" may be generous. The best paying student job - $10/hr - is milking at the dairy barn. Their schedule is flexible so students can milk as much or as little as they like. Hospital jobs, which vary between regular 6-8 hour shifts every week to on call where you only get paid if something comes in, are in the $8-something range. Very often people will email the vet school looking for pet or house sitters. I have a classmate who mucks stalls several mornings a week. Another gets free rent by living with a retired veterinarian who needs the occasional errand or chore done. Several bar tend. One was a DJ. Sometimes the local animal hospitals are willing to hire students too. I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. I should note, however, that any and all hospital jobs don't start until after block 1. During block 1, it's important to really just get adjusted and figure out how to study.

Yea I would just ask! I signed up for the 1/27 info session, so maybe that's why I got the email on the RSVP deadline day
Thanks :). Yeah, looks like they don't have any more hosts right now. I'll be there on 1/27, too! :).