Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sad news everyone- I just called the office and was told they do not release our ranking on the alternate list or how many people are on the list. I was told we probably also won't hear anything until after the national acceptance day. Here's to a long few months of waiting!

That's really frustrating. I hope they call people earlier if spots do open up. I would love to go to Cornell, but if I get into a different school, I'm not exactly going to turn them down just on the off-chance that, after decisions are due, a spot will open up.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's really frustrating. I hope they call people earlier if spots do open up. I would love to go to Cornell, but if I get into a different school, I'm not exactly going to turn them down just on the off-chance that, after decisions are due, a spot will open up.
Actually, did you know that if you get accepted to another school, you can put a deposit down before April 15th (national acceptance day). If you are pulled off the waitlist to Cornell or another school let's say in June, you are more than welcome to accept that spot. You will lose your deposit at the other school for sure, but if you really want to go to Cornell you can stay on the waitlist even if you accept a spot at another school.

I did. They told me my GRE scores were too low. So I tried really hard to get them up and did improve but still not good enough unfortunately :(

I do hear that GRE scores (especially the verbal part) play a bit role here! I also feel my GRE verbal is part of the reason why I got put on the wait list...
Were you accepted to somewhere else?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, did you know that if you get accepted to another school, you can put a deposit down before April 15th (national acceptance day). If you are pulled off the waitlist to Cornell or another school let's say in June, you are more than welcome to accept that spot. You will lose your deposit at the other school for sure, but if you really want to go to Cornell you can stay on the waitlist even if you accept a spot at another school.
Good to know! Thank you!

I did. They told me my GRE scores were too low. So I tried really hard to get them up and did improve but still not good enough unfortunately :(

Mind sharing your scores? Sorry to hear. I'm also a Cornell undergrad. It certainly doesn't give anyone a boost to be one! :p

Mind sharing your scores? Sorry to hear. I'm also a Cornell undergrad. It certainly doesn't give anyone a boost to be one! :p
Sure 69 percentile verbal, 47 percentile quant. Really low with the quant.. Which I think it was got me. I had a 3.76 GPA though so I thought I had a shot, standardized exams just aren't my thing no matter how hard I study :/

I do hear that GRE scores (especially the verbal part) play a bit role here! I also feel my GRE verbal is part of the reason why I got put on the wait list...
Were you accepted to somewhere else?
Not yet. But I interviewed with RVC in November and tomorrow I interview with Missouri, and later on Washington, Auburn, Guelph, and Glasgow. So fingers crossed I recieve an acceptance somewhere!

Reactions: 1 users
Sure 69 percentile verbal, 47 percentile quant. Really low with the quant.. Which I think it was got me. I had a 3.76 GPA though so I thought I had a shot, standardized exams just aren't my thing no matter how hard I study :/

I think they're looking for 70th+ percentile in verbal, stinks you were right on the border. They claim verbal scores are most indicative of success for their students. Shrug.

Best of luck at your interviews - I'm sure you'll get a least one!

Not yet. But I interviewed with RVC in November and tomorrow I interview with Missouri, and later on Washington, Auburn, Guelph, and Glasgow. So fingers crossed I recieve an acceptance somewhere!
Awww that's a lot of interviews, congratulations! It's quite an accomplishment to receive so many interviews and you should be proud of yourself!!:claps:
Good luck with your interviews and I am sure you will be accepted!!

Accepted admission on the portal! Can't believe I just did that after lurking on SDN for so many years. Overjoyed and awed. I'm still shocked that I was accepted despite so much self doubt, lackluster stats, and getting rejected at every other school. THANK YOU GUYS for being here throughout the process. Truly. You really helped!

Reactions: 10 users
Any current students I could talk to about the PBL and general curriculum? It's been a few years since I went to an information session and I know a lot has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I went there for undergrad as well. This was my second time applying and rejected both years. Anyone who thinks Cornell undergrad students have an advantage are wrong :(, definately know how you feel!
Oh no! I'm so sorry :( I'm also at Cornell and I have a lackluster GPA because I changed up my major (I sucked at the beginning of bio courses after switching to biology) and I also had a lower number of hours because I didn't decide on VM until my sophomore year. So it was a reach for me but still disappointing nonetheless.

Any current students I could talk to about the PBL and general curriculum? It's been a few years since I went to an information session and I know a lot has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

PM me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone flown to Ithaca with Southwest? The only airports that I see are LaGuardia (NY), Newark (NJ), Long Island (NY), Albany (NY), Buffalo/Niagara (NY), and Rochester (NY). Are any of these airports reasonably close? It didn't seem so but I wanted to check. I'm flying from CA.

Has anyone flown to Ithaca with Southwest? The only airports that I see are LaGuardia (NY), Newark (NJ), Long Island (NY), Albany (NY), Buffalo/Niagara (NY), and Rochester (NY). Are any of these airports reasonably close? It didn't seem so but I wanted to check. I'm flying from CA.
The closest of those would probably be Rochester, but it's about two hours away so you would have to rent a car to get to Ithaca from there. I don't think there is a bus service from Rochester to Ithaca but I could be wrong

You probably need to drive for at least a couple of hours from any of these places. I heard Syracuse might be closer?
There is a small airport in Ithaca that's 10 min away from campus, I am flying there with United. I just want to avoid driving at this time of the year because of the snow. Hope this helps!

I know there are buses from the NYC area to Cornell (I'm from around there and my sister used buses to get to/from campus as an undergrad at Cornell).

It's a 4-5 hour drive and I don't know how long the bus ride is, but it's an option if you don't want to drive.

Is anyone registered for the information session on the 3rd? I'll be driving from Albany!

@TrashPanda, @AllieLane, and @BigRedEquine
Thank you! Yeah I am cancelling a whole bunch of interviews now and I have credits on Southwest so I was going to try to use those. I can always fly in with another airline. I'm not sure if I want to fly across country to then drive 4-5 hours but I will look at my options. THANK YOU ALL! :)

I am so thrilled to say I was also accepted IS!! I was studying abroad and choose not to find out until I got back today, so I'm a little late to the party! It's been my dream school since I was a child, and I cannot wait to meet you all at the information session, accepted or waitlisted! And if you didn't make it this year, don't give up! You don't always get where you want because you are destined, but because you are determined.

Reactions: 3 users
if anyone wants to carpool I haven't decided which weekend to go up just yet but I live about 15 min out of nyc and would be happy to drive up with someone! :)

Does anyone have an idea for how much students usually pay for rent? I'm starting to make a spreadsheet for my calculated budget. Also, I had heard that Cornell offers some (tiny) grants, is there anyone that can qualify this?

Does anyone know if people normally bring a guest to the information sessions? I know it said on the RSVP that we could email to confirm if there is room for a guest, but I didn't know if it was the norm and I didn't want to take up an extra spot that a student might want to take

How is the driving from the airport in Rochester to Ithaca? It looks like it takes about 2 hours but I'm not sure whether this is really feasible if there is snow. I'll be going to one of the information sessions in either January or February.

Does anyone have an idea for how much students usually pay for rent? I'm starting to make a spreadsheet for my calculated budget. Also, I had heard that Cornell offers some (tiny) grants, is there anyone that can qualify this?
Average is about $500 per person including utilities if you're going to have a roommate. Otherwise, I'd bank on about $900-1000 for a one bedroom to yourself (or with a partner). Can also depend on location. There is a lot of decently priced housing near the school, but also some overpriced around as well!

Cornell does offer grants based on financial need. They'll determine this when you submit your CSS profile and IDOC information.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

How is the driving from the airport in Rochester to Ithaca? It looks like it takes about 2 hours but I'm not sure whether this is really feasible if there is snow. I'll be going to one of the information sessions in either January or February.
It's not awful, but keep an eye on the weather. If there's lake effect, it may be bad in Rochester and it'll get better as you go away from the Great Lakes. Lake Effect snow is kinda petering off right now, though.

any other waitlisted people going to an info session? 2/17 here!

Any folks currently in Ithaca have any advice about how driving is from Ithaca to Syracuse? Especially during the winter. We're trying to research options for my husband after the military.

Any folks currently in Ithaca have any advice about how driving is from Ithaca to Syracuse? Especially during the winter. We're trying to research options for my husband after the military.

Takes about an hour - it's a drive through Cortland and then a straight shot up 81. Winters get pretty bad, not going to lie. Roads are fairly taken care of but not always that well. AWD is recommended.

That's what I thought. He's never ever driven in the snow (going to get some experience in Connecticut) so I'm worried.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. He's never ever driven in the snow (going to get some experience in Connecticut) so I'm worried.
emacc, I am the active duty Army recruiter here in Syracuse, what kind of work is your husband looking for. I can keep my ears open as I am in the Ithaca/Cortland area all the time. I know a lot of people make the trek to Syracuse or even Binghamton each day for work but like they said above the roads can be rough. Send me a PM!

Does attending an information session have ny bearing on he alternate list standing. I would automatically assume no but just wondering if any one has any information -

I declined my offer. Best of luck to those of you on the waitlist. I wanted to get things moving for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Does attending an information session have ny bearing on he alternate list standing. I would automatically assume no but just wondering if any one has any information -

I assume no. But I eventually decided to go, I will just take it as a precious opportunity to tour the beautiful school and town even if I won't be accepted eventually :D We don't get this type of tours everyday.

I declined my offer. Best of luck to those of you on the waitlist. I wanted to get things moving for you.

Thank you for making decision early and letting us know! You posting gives me hope lol!
You probably have had a better acceptance somewhere else, congratulations and best of luck!!

Just curious--why did you decline?

Thank you for making decision early and letting us know! You posting gives me hope lol!
You probably have had a better acceptance somewhere else, congratulations and best of luck!!

I had my heart set on Davis from the start and I've been accepted. I love their curriculum and all the opportunities it would allot me. I'm lab animal focused and the bay area is great for that and Davis offers a lab animal focus within the small animal track.

Reactions: 3 users
I had my heart set on Davis from the start and I've been accepted. I love their curriculum and all the opportunities it would allot me. I'm lab animal focused and the bay area is great for that and Davis offers a lab animal focus within the small animal track.

That's awesome, congratulations and good luck!!

I am kind of in the same boat... but I have never seen Cornell. I am IS for CA and UCD was always my number one choice... but since I have never seen Cornell and have only heard amazing things I really want to see it. It is a tough choice (a good one to have!)! From my understanding, though, Cornell was the first to use the type of curriculum UCD uses (PBL).... so it seems they have more experience with it--but I'm not sure. I want to try to find out those differences as I make my decision. Congratulations! Perhaps we will be classmates :).

I am kind of in the same boat... but I have never seen Cornell. I am IS for CA and UCD was always my number one choice... but since I have never seen Cornell and have only heard amazing things I really want to see it. It is a tough choice (a good one to have!)! From my understanding, though, Cornell was the first to use the type of curriculum UCD uses (PBL).... so it seems they have more experience with it--but I'm not sure. I want to try to find out those differences as I make my decision. Congratulations! Perhaps we will be classmates :).

I should also mention my significant other will either be going to school in NYC or San Francisco, and Cornell is a bit remote for my tastes. My family has agreed to come visit me in nocal over Ithaca

I should also mention my significant other will either be going to school in NYC or San Francisco, and Cornell is a bit remote for my tastes. My family has agreed to come visit me in nocal over Ithaca
Well this is a wonderful place to be!!! Born and raised here :). You almost make me want to choose UCD. All of my family is right here in Northern CA. But I need to rule out Cornell before I do that. I need to see it. Again, congrats!

I assume no. But I eventually decided to go, I will just take it as a precious opportunity to tour the beautiful school and town even if I won't be accepted eventually :D We don't get this type of tours everyday.

Yeah makes sense but it is 3.5 hour drive from home and id rather not to that if i don't have to.
I just took a week off of work to do 2 other out of state interviews as well so that's also an issue (with management and financially) .

Last edited:
Yeah makes since but it is 3.5 hour drive from home and id rather not to that if i dont have to.
I just took a week off of work to do 2 other out of state interviews as well so thats also an issue (with management and financially) .

Understandable. I ended up adding it into another trip to New England and used some miles for the flights. If I could stay with a student host then I won't spend too much money on this one school when I don't know if I'll be accepted.
You could always wait and decide later, maybe the acceptance call will come out soon, who knows! I think we have until Jan 20 to decide if we are going!

Understandable. I ended up adding it into another trip to New England and used some miles for the flights. If I could stay with a student host then I won't spend too much money on this one school when I don't know if I'll be accepted.
You could always wait and decide later, maybe the acceptance call will come out soon, who knows! I think we have until Jan 20 to decide if we are going!
i honestly am not to concerned with the school itself -- i know its a good program and that is enough for me.
Since we probably won't hear until after the national date in april i see it like this - if i'm accepted to no other school and they call then i would accept anyway.
If i am accepted somewhere else and they called I would probably stay where my deposit is at (tuition was a pretty big deciding factor in my applications to begin with)

cornell is only about 7k more than my instate and i think similar living costs - although vastly different areas

cornell is only about 7k more than my instate and i think similar living costs - although vastly different areas

FAIR WARNING: Ithaca isn't for everyone. It's cold (and I mean COLD) and windy for 4-5 months of the year. Many people who grew up in big cities here hate it because, and I quote, "it's in the middle of nowhere." I tend to disagree, but if you've never lived outside of a large city, it may seem it. It's a very nice small city, IMO, and I like it because I came here from a community much like it.

Just my two cents! Hope that can help someone out with their pro/con list ;)

FAIR WARNING: Ithaca isn't for everyone. It's cold (and I mean COLD) and windy for 4-5 months of the year. Many people who grew up in big cities here hate it because, and I quote, "it's in the middle of nowhere." I tend to disagree, but if you've never lived outside of a large city, it may seem it. It's a very nice small city, IMO, and I like it because I came here from a community much like it.

Just my two cents! Hope that can help someone out with their pro/con list ;)

Yeah that is big down side for me. I live in a big city but I did undergrad in a pretty rural area in Ohio.
I also think the temp averages are a bit higher than where i went did undergrad ; im currently waiting on a decision from michigan - so cold is pretty much a sure thing anyway

Does anyone know if the information session is much different from the new student orientation in August, or if it was super helpful for accepted/decided peeps to attend? I'm coming from the other side of the nation and budget's kinda tight, so I want to make sure whether I should fly out there twice!