Cornell c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly I don't know. My parents filled out my Fafsa for me. I think you could fill out most of it with your fafsa but the profile asks for a lot of specifics from your 1040 that I doubt the fafsa asks for.

oh ok. I did my own fafsa and I didnt file for 2015 so that was no big deal. My mom will def have to fill out the parents stuff herself though .. lots of its from the fafsa but i dont know things like her projected income, etc

Members don't see this ad.

oh ok. I did my own fafsa and I didnt file for 2015 so that was no big deal. My mom will def have to fill out the parents stuff herself though .. lots of its from the fafsa but i dont know things like her projected income, etc
I figured it would overlap some but the profile is very long and in depth. Im really glad my parents helped me with it or it would have taken me a lifetime to figure it all out haha. I just submitted mine. Now I guess we wait until they get through everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how we submit our tax returns into the tracking page? I feel really dumb trying to figure this out. It is really nice that they'll give us our aid package before we have to make a decision though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know how we submit our tax returns into the tracking page? I feel really dumb trying to figure this out. It is really nice that they'll give us our aid package before we have to make a decision though.

You have to either fax, email, or mail copies of them to their financial aid office ^_^

What are people wearing to the Information Sessions?

I contacted Jennifer Mailey about this, and she said that most people go for business casual.
Yeah I did the same... was going to go in a suit and tie but it sounds like it's more casual so I didn't want to stick out and be overdressed ;). We will be doing activities all day so I am guessing it would be important to be comfortable (and warm!) ;).

i was accepted elsewhere and wondering if i should take myself off the waitlist....
help

Well, just pulled up enough courage to go ahead and press that accept button. So excited to visit next week and get to meet some of you! :)

Reactions: 7 users
:smack:My flight to Ithaca tonight got cancelled, twice :(:(:( now I am stuck in NYC and not sure if I can make it to the info session tomorrow
Bad idea to fly there...

Reactions: 1 user
:smack:My flight to Ithaca tonight got cancelled, twice :(:(:( now I am stuck in NYC and not sure if I can make it to the info session tomorrow
Bad idea to fly there...
Hope you made it! I flew into Rochester and drove to Ithaca. The drive wasn't bad. It's a little late, now, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We're going to be moving to within driving distance during the week before I go on the 17th, hopefully everything lines up. Military keeps telling us to wait and see on exact dates.

We're happy to have ya'll here!

I'm a current first year (Class of 2020). I won't have all the answers, but if you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help!

What a wonderful day. I literally fell in love with Cornell today. If you have not gone to an information session (or wasn't planning to) I highly recommend it!

Reactions: 5 users
Bad idea to fly there...
I was in the same situation! I wish I'd known you were there. I ended up renting a car with a few other people and driving to Ithaca from Newark. Did you make it?

Hope you made it! I flew into Rochester and drove to Ithaca. The drive wasn't bad. It's a little late, now, though.

The airline actually offered the flight to Syracuse the first time when my flight was cancelled but I thought there was no way that both flights could be cancelled on the same day so I just rebooked the next one to Ithaca. How stupid!

I was in the same situation! I wish I'd known you were there. I ended up renting a car with a few other people and driving to Ithaca from Newark. Did you make it?

Yes I did! I heard people saying that several people were driving, I wish I went with you guys! I was too scared to drive at night all by myself and potentially in snow :/ So I finally stayed in Newark for the night and arrived in the morning.

The school is great, people are all so friendly and considerate and PBL is not as scary as I thought! My only suggestion is too NOT fly to Ithaca! Syracuse is just 80min drive

Any poor SOBs flying into Binghamton Thursday night Feb 2nd? :meh:

BETTER YET. Any people swinging by Binghamton who are miraculously headed to Ithaca on Feb 2nd? :yeahright: Should have thought this through before booking my flight...

I'll be driving through that area in the afternoon ish on the 2nd

What a wonderful day. I literally fell in love with Cornell today. If you have not gone to an information session (or wasn't planning to) I highly recommend it!
Do tell! Im going to the one in late February but reading this makes me really excited!

Do tell! Im going to the one in late February but reading this makes me really excited!
All I have to say is that I did NOT want to go home. I had never been to Cornell. I have been in a debate about UC Davis and Cornell (and a few other options, but I am guessing I will end up at one of these schools) and at this point I am torn. I LOOOOVED PBL. It matched my learning style perfectly--it's exactly what I usually do on top of my regular classes, but integrated into the curriculum. The faculty and staff were amazing. I LOVED Ithaca. My stay and visit to Cornell were so much fun! I literally refused to pack my bags all night and then realized I needed to as if I didn't I would miss my plane. My family has been fighting for me to choose UCD (I'm from CA) and I was hoping for some clarity and it went in a direction I was not expecting it to. I loved the students, both current and prospective. I simply felt at home and that I belonged there. It was wonderful :). If you have specific questions, let me know/PM me :).

All I have to say is that I did NOT want to go home. I had never been to Cornell. I have been in a debate about UC Davis and Cornell (and a few other options, but I am guessing I will end up at one of these schools) and at this point I am torn. I LOOOOVED PBL. It matched my learning style perfectly--it's exactly what I usually do on top of my regular classes, but integrated into the curriculum. The faculty and staff were amazing. I LOVED Ithaca. My stay and visit to Cornell were so much fun! I literally refused to pack my bags all night and then realized I needed to as if I didn't I would miss my plane. My family has been fighting for me to choose UCD (I'm from CA) and I was hoping for some clarity and it went in a direction I was not expecting it to. I loved the students, both current and prospective. I simply felt at home and that I belonged there. It was wonderful :). If you have specific questions, let me know/PM me :).

Could you explain the pbl? I met a guy this week that said he withdrew his application from western (?) because he hated the pbl so much . Is everything like a case study or how does that work ?

Could you explain the pbl? I met a guy this week that said he withdrew his application from western (?) because he hated the pbl so much . Is everything like a case study or how does that work ?
I think that a current student could explain it better. I'm hoping someone chimes in.

But I think that is part of the reason it is important to go to the information session as this type of learning is not for everyone. I only got a small taste of it. From my limited understanding we have certain classes that are blocks and each block is supposed to cover certain material using a case. I think the first block is a 12 unit class. In other words, you have numerous classes integrated into that one class. Your tutor guides you, but not much. You look at everything like a clinician.... lay out the facts, ask questions, make hypotheses, etc. You draw things on the board, read out loud as a group, and more. You have resources but no required reading for these courses for the most part. The rooms are filled with two large white boards. In a way, you are teaching yourself what might be given to you in a more traditional approach. But you are working with classmates. You identify learning goals and that is what you take home and come back with in the next session. Your tutor groups are made up of a maximum of 8 students, and more like 6 or 7. You will get the material and may go at a different pace than other groups and that is okay. It sounds like you meet as an entire class to discuss the case you were working on. When you get together as a class you might realize you missed something important. You can then add that to your learning goals. You do have some classes that are regular lectures with lecture notes. You also get hands on from the first week, integrating what you are learning in your block with working with animals. For example, you learn how to do a physical exam in the first block. Your exams may be oral, written, multiple choice, or drawing.

Again, I think a Cornell student would be much better at explaining this. I just got a little taste of it. But I have to say I have never had so much fun. I found that the students I worked with or spoke with were easy to talk to and felt like it was an extremely supportive environment. The teachers/professors/veterinarians were extremely laid back and fun to work with as well. The facilities are amazing and we will be the first class to enjoy the new ones.

I would say that if you are a student who likes to have everything fed to you that this might not be the environment for you. BUT-- our tour guide specifically said she did not like PBL but that didn't stop her from attending as she knew how amazing Cornell veterinarians are.... so there's that. I would say that it is extremely important to attend the session. I knew I would like it, I just didn't know how much. Talking about it is different than doing it. Anyways, I hope that helps.

Ah! Now I'm even more excited to go!

Trying to get all the financial aid info done on time, ignoring that our military move still isn't able to be scheduled and I'm maybe moving the day before I have to be in Ithaca.

Trying to get all the financial aid info done on time, ignoring that our military move still isn't able to be scheduled and I'm maybe moving the day before I have to be in Ithaca.

i have to finish the profile and the sspi still. and im not even accepted

Reactions: 2 users
my fafsa was processed last week but isnt received on the tracking page. is anyone seeing theirs as received?

my fafsa was processed last week but isnt received on the tracking page. is anyone seeing theirs as received?

No I called and they said they've been having trouble retrieving them which is why they asked for our SSN. She told me as long as I gave that to them I shouldn't worry.

No I called and they said they've been having trouble retrieving them which is why they asked for our SSN. She told me as long as I gave that to them I shouldn't worry.

thanks. im pretty sure they have my SSn but just to be sure , did you enter it somewhere o n the racking page?
now i just need to email the FA certification and ill be done.

thanks. im pretty sure they have my SSn but just to be sure , did you enter it somewhere o n the racking page?
now i just need to email the FA certification and ill be done.

Ya they sent me an email asking for my SSN and to go on the tracking page to make a correction.

We didn't receive a Fee Payment Code for the Collegeboard profile, right? So we have to pay $25?

We didn't receive a Fee Payment Code for the Collegeboard profile, right? So we have to pay $25?

i was under the impression that waivers only existed for undergrads filing. i'd lookk into it though, there are a conditions that mat take a while to prove so i just paid to make sure it was done by tomorrow

Additionally, if you did enter your SSN when you first created you applicant profile, there won't be an option to enter your SSN in "Enter Corrections" on your portal as described in the email they sent lead week. I completely forgot that I did enter my SSN upon creating my profile initially and was worried when I couldn't find a place to enter it after receiving the email from Financial Aid. I called and they confirmed that just meant they already had it! (Just in case anyone else was worried haha)

Jussssttttttttttt saw that giant @$$ essay that I have to write to be considered for scholarships. Fudge me, man.

Guess it's going to be a long night.

Jussssttttttttttt saw that giant @$$ essay that I have to write to be considered for scholarships. Fudge me, man.

Guess it's going to be a long night.

i literally wrote like 3 paragraphs. oops.

i literally wrote like 3 paragraphs. oops.

That's actually BEAUTIFUL news because I'm about to do the same. Is anyone else undecided about what type of veterinarian they want to be? I used to be all about wildlife, but now I'm interested in mixed animal, exotics, and public health. I'm all over the place. What should I put for my interests in scholarships? I'm just being honest and saying idk for the time being.

FINANCIAL AID HELP! Hey guys I'm frantically try to fill these things out by tomorrow and I already put my parents info into the FAFSA but now I am on to PROFILE and they are also asking for my parents info. I am independent and my parents don't want to give their info so anyone know if I can just skip that section or why I'm continually being asked for detailed parent info? I know that one health professions loan requires parent info but I already gave that in the FAFSA so what gives?

FINANCIAL AID HELP! Hey guys I'm frantically try to fill these things out by tomorrow and I already put my parents info into the FAFSA but now I am on to PROFILE and they are also asking for my parents info. I am independent and my parents don't want to give their info so anyone know if I can just skip that section or why I'm continually being asked for detailed parent info? I know that one health professions loan requires parent info but I already gave that in the FAFSA so what gives?
Call the financial aid office tomorrow. They are really helpful! Also, at the information session they said that anyone over 30 (or 30 and over, I can't remember) does not need to include parental information. I am not sure what the other exceptions are. I believe it might be required if you are under 30 as there was someone wh0 asked a similar question and they said the forms needed to be included, even though she was independent. I would call them, though.

Call the financial aid office tomorrow. They are really helpful! Also, at the information session they said that anyone over 30 (or 30 and over, I can't remember) does not need to include parental information. I am not sure what the other exceptions are. I believe it might be required if you are under 30 as there was someone wh0 asked a similar question and they said the forms needed to be included, even though she was independent. I would call them, though.
Doesn't this need to be turned in by midnight tonight? Or am I misguided? I'm under 30 but I could have sworn at the info session they said parent info was only required for the health profession loan.

Doesn't this need to be turned in by midnight tonight? Or am I misguided? I'm under 30 but I could have sworn at the info session they said parent info was only required for the health profession loan.
Well, it's up to you. I have not turned mine in yet. I am still working on it. Isn't it due on 2/1? If it is, you could call them and ask them first thing in the morning. It is due tomorrow if you want to make sure to have a financial aid packet before the April deadline, but you can still turn it in later.

Well, it's up to you. I have not turned mine in yet. I am still working on it. Isn't it due on 2/1? If it is, you could call them and ask them first thing in the morning. It is due tomorrow if you want to make sure to have a financial aid packet before the April deadline, but you can still turn it in later.
And I don't know what is required if you are under 30 (since that does not apply to me).

In other words, if you are 100% sure you will be going to Cornell, I don't think there is as much of a rush. I think it might be more important for those of us who are undecided (like me).

Also--I just realized it may be close to midnight for some. For me, tomorrow is 2/1. Anyways, I hope it all works out :).

Last edited:
That's actually BEAUTIFUL news because I'm about to do the same. Is anyone else undecided about what type of veterinarian they want to be? I used to be all about wildlife, but now I'm interested in mixed animal, exotics, and public health. I'm all over the place. What should I put for my interests in scholarships? I'm just being honest and saying idk for the time being.

I put small animal and companion exotics and public health. I think we're insterested in the same things ! Depending on how you word it, I think they saying your exploring the field is a perfectly reasonable answer

Did anybody here go to the "Mixed/Production" interest group? Did it talk about small animal much at all, or was it very focused on production? I'm just curious, because I want to go for mixed animal medicine, but small animal is the side I'm most passionate about, so I don't want to miss out on hearing about that. Of course, I'm not sure what all they'll be talking about in the interest group yet, so it may not matter.

Also, I'll be there this Friday, so I'll potentially see some of you then!

Did anybody here go to the "Mixed/Production" interest group? Did it talk about small animal much at all, or was it very focused on production? I'm just curious, because I want to go for mixed animal medicine, but small animal is the side I'm most passionate about, so I don't want to miss out on hearing about that. Of course, I'm not sure what all they'll be talking about in the interest group yet, so it may not matter.

Also, I'll be there this Friday, so I'll potentially see some of you then!
I went to the small animal group, but it wasn't really focussed on that. It was more about the school and any questions we had. I am sure you could go to any of the groups and ask any questions you wanted. You could also switch rooms halfway through. I actually got a better idea of everything from the short sessions we had after the tutor session as the veterinarians who hosted those were from a variety of fields.

The financial aid information is only due on February 1st if you want to receive your package before the official decision deadline in April. If you don't need the package to make your decision, you have up until 3/1 to turn it in.

So the military decided we aren't moving yet. Supposed to be going to the session next week. My husband can't travel with me now and I can't realistically drive to Ithaca alone with how long it is and it snowing the whole weekend. Flights at this point are >$700 just for me, and unreliable in that weather. Bluh, looks like I may not be going.

I'm going on the 24th now, they've be super helpful at making this work.