Coping with First Patient's Death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,
Yesterday I lost my first patient. The doctor said I did everything I could to try to save the patient's life, and there is nothing I should have done differently. I'm feeling pretty messed up about this though. Current M3/M4 (or any MD/DO) could you shed some light on how you dealt with your first patient death?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Take time to grieve. I had a peds patient that I lost several months ago and it took me quite awhile to get over it. I allowed myself to cry. Then eventually I talked to classmates about it, which helped. But it took me weeks to be able to talk about it without tearing up. It gets better. It helped me to also research the disease/illness/trauma to learn more about it and educate myself even further on it. So if I get a similar patient in the future I know as much as possible about whatever the scenario is. Feeling as prepared as possible for future similar patients helped me cope. Hang in there OP and talk to someone if you need to. Feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately it's a lesson you just have to take with you and move on. I don't think you ever really get over it. Over time it will become less invasive in your life.

Everyone loses patients. People come to you (usually) because they're sick. We tend to win most battles, but we will lose some. And sometimes patients will suffer as a direct result of something you've done. This is medicine, we're people, and we're not perfect.

If you let every negative experience paralyze you, you won't be very useful to the people who need you. You have to compartmentalize your life, your current patients, and your past experiences.

Talk to someone if you need to. We've all been there. You need to find a healthy way of putting it behind you and moving on.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the patient is the one with the disease

I agree that taking the time to grieve and process it is not only helpful but a must. Failing to do so will lead to cynicism and burnout. In time, once you've grieved, channel those meaningful patient encounters into the motivation to be more competent and compassionate. The best doctors I've known continue to remain open to being 'touched' by the lives of their patients, feeling nothing should be a red flag.

Honestly it helps to remember that we all die eventually and that life at its core is filled with suffering, so just enjoy life and suck it up (is what I tell myself). Thank goodness we are out of the food chain, it's pretty great

Honestly it helps to remember that we all die eventually and that life at its core is filled with suffering, so just enjoy life and suck it up (is what I tell myself). Thank goodness we are out of the food chain, it's pretty great

"pain is inevitable,suffering is optional...we have bigger houses,but smaller families. More conveniences,but less time. We have knowledge,but less judgements; more experts,but more problems ; more medicines but less health.” Dalai Lama

We are the food in the food chain. Run

Last edited:
"pain is inevitable,suffering is optional...we have bigger houses,but smaller families. More conveniences,but less time. We have knowledge,but less judgements; more experts,but more problems ; more medicines but less health.” Dalai Lama

We are the food in the food chain. Run

Great quote. In terms of the food chain, I am not sure what is actively trying to hunt me down every day but I suppose if being capable OF being eaten counts as in the food chain, sure!

Lol at the suffering is optional. That's a good example where supposed enlightenment ironically sounds naive. We can certainly make our problems worse, but there are people who are sex slaves or suffer from horribly debilitating diseases. Those people certainly understand what suffering is and I am not sure they would argue it's optional. I suppose it can suggest that we can separate our minds from our bodies and subtract our spirit from suffering (pain) or something bull****y like that, but again, sounds naive

Great quote. In terms of the food chain, I am not sure what is actively trying to hunt me down...

3rd Party Payers, CMS, Medmal attorneys, Hospital admins, patient evaluations, noncompliant patients, opioid abusers, your ex...

I remember my first patient who passed away - coded in the cath lab and I was doing chest compressions when they called it. It definitely still sticks with me and I don't think I'll ever forget his name. No one really spoke much about it other than what else we could of done but no real reflection by the team which sucked. They just picked up and moved on.

On the other end of the spectrum, the first time my girlfriend had a pt die on her team, she was a bit shaken up but her 3rd year resident call her that night to talk to her about it and help her decompress what she just saw and it really made a difference to her. Was a nice lesson also about that types of qualities that I want to embody someday as resident like my girlfriend's resident.

the first patient I would say was mine that was going to die, was my first 3rd yr rotation, peds

The first family conference where we discussed that Amy, a CF'er, wasn't likely to be extubated this hospitalization (news to me), and I looked into that mother's eyes, I don't know how I held it together. I often bite the inside of my cheek in those situations. The minute I was able to be alone, I just sobbed in the stairwell. I tried to hide that I'd been crying before heading to the workroom. The peds senior just said, "I know, it just seems so unfair, doesn't it?" very matter-of-factly, almost like my grief was a quaint idea. I wondered how they could deal.

Even after that rotation, later in the year, in the interest of "educational follow up," I looked in on Amy's chart from time to time. She was d/c'd that time, and she had a few repeat hospitalizations, each one grimmer than the last.

The first time I read "and we discussed that this was likely Amy's last Christmas" in the notes, I felt like I'd been punched in the chest. Again, I just wept. The funny thing, I hardly knew Amy, and what little interaction I'd had with the 13 yo, she was a little teen nightmare. Her mom was a real piece of work, one of those Jerry Springer drama mamas. Still, it was just unbearably sad, and all of that just made it all the sadder. Likely this child's life with CF was being cut so short because of neglect to her complex medical needs.

I knew from that moment on that I could never have a practice with sick kids.

To this day, I still tear up just thinking about it.

I was also there when my parent was in the ICU s/p MI, cardiac arrest. I had never been in the ICU and I had no idea what happened when people died there. I knew that my loved one was gone, and the plan was to discontinue life support. They were on the cooling protocol I knew nothing of then, I held their cold blue hand and wept, just wept for probably an hour while the rest of the family watched. We were closest and I guess I'm just a crier. Always have been, which has been one of my biggest challenges in maintaining the right face for my patients, hence the cheek-biting. I watched my parent seize from hypoxic brain injury, get extubated, breathe their last, turn cyanotic, and listened to their heartbeart stop with a stethoscope.

I'm actually extremely grateful for that experience.

How to cope? I think I focus on how lucky I am to get a front row seat to the drama of the human existence, to see things that others don't get the chance to, are too scared to, or just don't care for such things. It's a privilege to be part of someone's care up until their death. No one wants to die alone, and even if they don't know you're there, in the EMR clicking orders, writing notes, pumping their chest, you know you're there. That they didn't die alone. To have the bravery to look death in the face when we are all scared and instinct might say to look away.

I coped by bursting into tears sometimes. Crying myself to sleep sometimes. Talking to people I love outside of medicine, because I'm less afraid of those responses than I am from those within medicine, who maybe aren't in a good position to support your grief.

Then I try to be happy I'm alive. It's not too hard to find the extreme beauty in existence. I consider the beauty of plants and animals. I hug my cats and count their breaths and cry some more. I walk outside and pay special attention to the scenery, which in my case, is very green. I put on a nature documentary that's uplifting. I watch silly videos on YouTube. I come to SDN.

There's more patients to see, and life goes on, and at some point, you'll have that really positive interaction that makes you feel really good about being a doctor. And the circle is complete. Healing comes even if, sometimes upon reflection, tears still do as well.

Reactions: 2 users
3rd Party Payers, CMS, Medmal attorneys, Hospital admins, patient evaluations, noncompliant patients, opioid abusers, your ex...

Okay, I literally meant we are not in the food chain. Like there is no lion trying to eat me.

the first patient I would say was mine that was going to die, was my first 3rd yr rotation, peds

The first family conference where we discussed that Amy, a CF'er, wasn't likely to be extubated this hospitalization (news to me), and I looked into that mother's eyes, I don't know how I held it together. I often bite the inside of my cheek in those situations. The minute I was able to be alone, I just sobbed in the stairwell. I tried to hide that I'd been crying before heading to the workroom. The peds senior just said, "I know, it just seems so unfair, doesn't it?" very matter-of-factly, almost like my grief was a quaint idea. I wondered how they could deal.

Even after that rotation, later in the year, in the interest of "educational follow up," I looked in on Amy's chart from time to time. She was d/c'd that time, and she had a few repeat hospitalizations, each one grimmer than the last.

The first time I read "and we discussed that this was likely Amy's last Christmas" in the notes, I felt like I'd been punched in the chest. Again, I just wept. The funny thing, I hardly knew Amy, and what little interaction I'd had with the 13 yo, she was a little teen nightmare. Her mom was a real piece of work, one of those Jerry Springer drama mamas. Still, it was just unbearably sad, and all of that just made it all the sadder. Likely this child's life with CF was being cut so short because of neglect to her complex medical needs.

I knew from that moment on that I could never have a practice with sick kids.

To this day, I still tear up just thinking about it.

I was also there when my parent was in the ICU s/p MI, cardiac arrest. I had never been in the ICU and I had no idea what happened when people died there. I knew that my loved one was gone, and the plan was to discontinue life support. They were on the cooling protocol I knew nothing of then, I held their cold blue hand and wept, just wept for probably an hour while the rest of the family watched. We were closest and I guess I'm just a crier. Always have been, which has been one of my biggest challenges in maintaining the right face for my patients, hence the cheek-biting. I watched my parent seize from hypoxic brain injury, get extubated, breathe their last, turn cyanotic, and listened to their heartbeart stop with a stethoscope.

I'm actually extremely grateful for that experience.

How to cope? I think I focus on how lucky I am to get a front row seat to the drama of the human existence, to see things that others don't get the chance to, are too scared to, or just don't care for such things. It's a privilege to be part of someone's care up until their death. No one wants to die alone, and even if they don't know you're there, in the EMR clicking orders, writing notes, pumping their chest, you know you're there. That they didn't die alone. To have the bravery to look death in the face when we are all scared and instinct might say to look away.

I coped by bursting into tears sometimes. Crying myself to sleep sometimes. Talking to people I love outside of medicine, because I'm less afraid of those responses than I am from those within medicine, who maybe aren't in a good position to support your grief.

Then I try to be happy I'm alive. It's not too hard to find the extreme beauty in existence. I consider the beauty of plants and animals. I hug my cats and count their breaths and cry some more. I walk outside and pay special attention to the scenery, which in my case, is very green. I put on a nature documentary that's uplifting. I watch silly videos on YouTube. I come to SDN.

There's more patients to see, and life goes on, and at some point, you'll have that really positive interaction that makes you feel really good about being a doctor. And the circle is complete. Healing comes even if, sometimes upon reflection, tears still do as well.
You are an amazing person. Your patients are lucky to have you.

Reactions: 1 user