Coping with feelings of inadequacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey SDN!

I just started dedicated prep for step 1. My school administered a CBSE exam and I passed but with a subpar score. My baseline amounts to a barely passing score. It was discouraging to see how little I achieved while doing my own dedicated prep during psych module. I have about 1400 UW questions left and it's very difficult going through the questions and reviewing them. My question is, how do you overcome these feelings of inadequacy? I really need a pep talk here guys. I suffer from debilitating anxiety and when I have these feelings I start to shut down and I don't do anything! I was considering seeing my doctor to up my dose for my ADHD meds and also get on anti-anxiety meds. My exam is tentatively scheduled for mid June.

I know a lot of us here struggle with anxiety and some may or may not relate to this, but unless you've specifically have gone through this, it's really hard to relate. If anyone has suggestions for how to overcome these feelings and get to work more efficiently, please help me! I'm fairly desperate :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I hear ya!

I have an anxiety disorder, history with depression and all that and I can't take SSRIs because I've had bad reactions to them. I just wrote step and I can tell you from my own experience I started off with non passing scores and worked my way up to a 225 and then a 236 a month later and then 240s a few weeks after that. You can improve for sure, don't get discouraged especially this early in the game. Keep working and being consistent and you'll improve. Everyone has different experiences and all but jumping 10/20 points or more with consistent effort in a month or two is not uncommon at all.

I got really low and discouraged before I was hitting my goal of 230 and from my experience even if it feels like you are going nowhere or aren't improving if you keep going through uworld and FA and pathoma like a crazy mofo you should improve the next time you take an nbme, even if during the nbme you feel like you are doing even worse then the one before. I was legitimately surprised when I jumped 10 points because the whole time I was studying I felt I was in a rut so just keep pushing.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I hear ya!

I have an anxiety disorder, history with depression and all that and I can't take SSRIs because I've had bad reactions to them. I just wrote step and I can tell you from my own experience I started off with non passing scores and worked my way up to a 225 and then a 236 a month later and then 240s a few weeks after that. You can improve for sure, don't get discouraged especially this early in the game. Keep working and being consistent and you'll improve. Everyone has different experiences and all but jumping 10/20 points or more with consistent effort in a month or two is not uncommon at all.

I got really low and discouraged before I was hitting my goal of 230 and from my experience even if it feels like you are going nowhere or aren't improving if you keep going through uworld and FA and pathoma like a crazy mofo you should improve the next time you take an nbme, even if during the nbme you feel like you are doing even worse then the one before. I was legitimately surprised when I jumped 10 points because the whole time I was studying I felt I was in a rut so just keep pushing.

Thank you so much! This really was an encouraging post! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user