Cooking Challenge v3.0: Olympics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Convinced. Now that I'm a fancy schmancy gold donor I can just edit the titles instead of making brand new threads, so the first post is updated with the first theme... and what is to come next week, if you need some lead time to be prepared.

Would people like to be tagged at theme changes, or is the title change enough?

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to make a joke that I'm willing to eat all the food y'all make because I'm a terrible cook (have caught my microwave on fire, burned the Easy Mac that comes in a cup, and generally set off my smoke detector every time I actually cook). But then I remembered that starting wednesday it's a 6 week liquid only diet. So I will be in the back. Creeping. Looking at delicious foods I'm not allowed to eat lol :bag:

Reactions: 1 user
Convinced. Now that I'm a fancy schmancy gold donor I can just edit the titles instead of making brand new threads, so the first post is updated with the first theme... and what is to come next week, if you need some lead time to be prepared.

Would people like to be tagged at theme changes, or is the title change enough?

Yay! I think a title change is enough for me as long as the thread is also bumped up, but tags might be nice for people who aren't on SDN as much.

I was going to make a joke that I'm willing to eat all the food y'all make because I'm a terrible cook (have caught my microwave on fire, burned the Easy Mac that comes in a cup, and generally set off my smoke detector every time I actually cook). But then I remembered that starting wednesday it's a 6 week liquid only diet. So I will be in the back. Creeping. Looking at delicious foods I'm not allowed to eat lol :bag:

Ooh what about a "liquid foods for Cdo" theme?! Smoothies, soup, ice cream... You could be the judge!

Members don't see this ad :)
...liquids?
;)

http://onemartini.com/kiwi-rum-cocktail/

I'm in. Thread title change is probably enough for me to notice as long as this stays on the first page.

Ooh so down for this! Love cooking, but have gotten lazy the last couple of months.

Figure I should start us off...

Well, @DVMDream told me to make tacos last night. And I basically just think of avocados when I think california (thanks avocado growers associations), so I made breakfast tacos!

Modified slightly from my thug kitchen cookbook (nsfw), mostly just by futzing with spices and de-veganizing with some cheese and butter:

oYOFayr.jpg

v2xy75Z.jpg

(they were very good. partner who usually rolls his eyes at tofu stuff ate the extra out of the pan).

Reactions: 5 users
I've been super lazy about cooking lately. Maybe this will help get me back in the swing of things. I've forced myself to go grocery shopping for real meal stuff and half the fresh stuff ends up in the freezer or going bad in the fridge because I have no motivation.
And I like cooking, which is the weird part of all this. Stupid Wegmans makes it too easy to be lazy and buy the expensive premade stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been super lazy about cooking lately. Maybe this will help get me back in the swing of things. I've forced myself to go grocery shopping for real meal stuff and half the fresh stuff ends up in the freezer or going bad in the fridge because I have no motivation.
And I like cooking, which is the weird part of all this. Stupid Wegmans makes it too easy to be lazy and buy the expensive premade stuff.
this is where I am, too. I actually really like cooking (hence the cooking challenges, lol). But just haven't worked up motivation recently for some reason.

crisper-drawers-where-good-intentions-go-to-die.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
I will watch and participate when I can. I love the idea!

This has been me too. Just threw out a bunch of rotten produce and replaced it with fresh stuff...plan is to actually eat it this time.

Also this was a really well timed challenge cause I had bought avocado and wasn't totally sure what I was gonna do with it. And as an added bonus I have leftovers for tomorrow!

Late night challenge dinner. With lots of leftovers for the week. Thanks for the inspiration!

I present, Spicy chorizo hash with avocado and chipotle salsa.

Peppers, tomatoes, spinach, kale, and basil all from last summers garden :) Although the basil really only made its way in because It was frozen, there was no label, and I thought it was spinach

ImageUploadedBySDN1497838278.066697.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1497838243.229872.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1497838267.843830.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1497838267.843830.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 2 users
So apparently California Cuisine = Avocado. :D:p

That looks amazing cowgirl!
hahaha trilt said the same thing to me earlier.

Late night challenge dinner. With lots of leftovers for the week. Thanks for the inspiration!

I present, Spicy chorizo hash with avocado and chipotle salsa.

Peppers, tomatoes, spinach, kale, and basil all from last summers garden :) Although the basil really only made its way in because It was frozen, there was no label, and I thought it was spinach

View attachment 220339

View attachment 220337
And she told me to buy soyrizo this morning so now I have a recipe idea :)

I definitely want to try to participate in these after I move this week. I also have to buy my own pots and pans now...
Goodwill! My favourite copper bottomed pot is from when I moved into an apt and had to patch together a cooking set from a thrift store.

While in Nicaragua we ate at Happy, a restaurant in Matagalpa that has Californian foods. So I thought I'd go with a Latin influence for this week and make something close to what I had in Nicaragua (but not at Happy). Roughly based on this pollo sudado recipe. Of course I put it on tortillas because I didn't get that many this trip and added the what appears to be obligatory avacado.

ezgif-3-423c60ee3c.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I...don't like avocado. It's mushy. I've tried to like it and I just can't.

I think I'm going to have to sit this week out anyway since I'm on vacation and am letting the grandparents and parents do the cooking for me. But I'll join in with the berry theme and going forward for sure.

While in Nicaragua we ate at Happy, a restaurant in Matagalpa that has Californian foods. So I thought I'd go with a Latin influence for this week and make something close to what I had in Nicaragua (but not at Happy). Roughly based on this pollo sudado recipe. Of course I put it on tortillas because I didn't get that many this trip and added the what appears to be obligatory avacado.

ezgif-3-423c60ee3c.jpg
question
how does one eat a taco on such a small tortilla without everything falling off

We had chicken fried rice last night and golden curry tonight. Can I just call it LA food?

I had an avocado left over from tacos last week, but I just ate it...