Cook County Trauma Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'mNotGroot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an international student interested in doing my electives in trauma at Cook County next February-March. Having never been to US, this is all pretty foreign for me and was hoping for some advice.

If I were to go for this elective, I'll be going as a solo female and so the issue of safety is at the top of my head. I came across some info online that the area near John H. Stroger / Rush / UIC past working hours can be quite unsafe. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone have advice as to accommodation around that area? I'd prefer to stay somewhere near the hospital for convenience. I looked up online and found many sublets for summer (due to the holidays). Is Feb-March time a good time to find sublets from students as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I came across some info online that the area near John H. Stroger / Rush / UIC past working hours can be quite unsafe.
Yes, it is an unsafe area. The medical campus where Rush and UIC are located aren't bad, once your in the parking garage. You absolutely do not want to be walking around down there and have no idea where you're going, because there is only a small radius of where it is reasonably safe. UICCOM is across the street from Cook County.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile