Controlled substances with NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scharnhorst

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The community health center i work for just hired a NP who is doing housecalls im her collaborator but she does not have a DEA
My employers are asking if i can prescribe the meds for her patients ive never seen those patients

Im concerned
Any advice

Members don't see this ad.

Im concerned

As you should be. It sounds like you're working for *******es.

Any advice

Yeah...don't do it. You're not her monkey, and it's your license on the line, not hers. Tell your employer that if she doesn't have a DEA number, she can't prescribe that ****. She needs to refer those patients to someone who can (maybe you, maybe someone else).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
GAWD NO.
Don't allow your employer to make their problem your problem.
They decided to hire an NP without a DEA license to do the job--you did not. DO NOT accept this liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The community health center i work for just hired a NP who is doing housecalls im her collaborator but she does not have a DEA
My employers are asking if i can prescribe the meds for her patients ive never seen those patients

Im concerned
Any advice

Does collaborator mean you are legally responsible for her medical decision making on these patients that you haven't seen? If so, either change that arrangement or quit. if not, keep working there but don't agree to sign for those meds.

Does collaborator mean you are legally responsible for her medical decision making on these patients that you haven't seen?

In most (all?) states that require some level of NP supervision, that's exactly what it means.

In most (all?) states that require some level of NP supervision, that's exactly what it means.
I mean it doesn't sound like he's actually in charge of her. I wouldn't recommend anyone agree to legally supervise someone they're not actually supervising.

Reactions: 1 user
Collaborate? I collaborate with my fellow med students. Signing off as the liabilty for someone else is not collaboration

Reactions: 3 users
Collaborating has a specific legal definition in many states regarding NP practice

It does in VA, and it's just a euphemism for supervision. The supervising/collaborating physician assumes some liability, regardless of what you call it.

Reactions: 2 users
It does in VA, and it's just a euphemism for supervision. The supervising/collaborating physician assumes some liability, regardless of what you call it.
So you are agreeing to assume legal responsibility for someone, but they are so completely out your control that you can't call yourself a supervisor because it might offend them?

F- that. If you aren't someone's supervisor in the sense that you can fire them, you shouldn't be taking legal responsibility for their actions.

Reactions: 3 users
Collaborating has a specific legal definition in many states regarding NP practice
I'm with you on specific legal wording, I'm just saying the specific legal wording is a lie that was chosen due to it's normal life denotation being far far different than it's medical one in this case

So you are agreeing to assume legal responsibility for someone, but they are so completely out your control that you can't call yourself a supervisor because it might offend them?

F- that. If you aren't someone's supervisor in the sense that you can fire them, you shouldn't be taking legal responsibility for their actions.

The terminology change was their idea, back when we wrote the team care bill a few years ago. It didn't change anything from a practical standpoint, but it made them feel better. It also appeared that we had made a concession. Win-win.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe NP stands alone in Oregon with no supervision.

Correct. Oregon will credential anything that moves, so it's chock full of quacks. Independent NPs are the least of their problems.

Correct. Oregon will credential anything that moves, so it's chock full of quacks. Independent NPs are the least of their problems.

Makes sense now -- was told about a study where a DC admitted patients to the hospital for "medically supervised" fasting -- i.e. D5NS x 7 days with slow reintroduction of fruits and vegetables -- supposedly had an impact on DM/HTN --- the fact that n=8 really didn't matter -- this was a "landmark" study in the management of HTN.....related to me by a DC/ND out of Oregon and supposedly took place there.

To the OP -- not NO but Hell NO ---- personally, I do not prescribe anything requiring a triplicate for anyone that I have not laid eyes on, period.

I mean it doesn't sound like he's actually in charge of her. I wouldn't recommend anyone agree to legally supervise someone they're not actually supervising.

This, plus the fact that when you supervise somebody, you're supposed to be supervising them while they're doing things within THEIR scope of practice. If THEY don't have a DEA number, then prescribing controlled substances is NOT within their scope of practice. Basically, it would be YOU prescribing for patients you had never seen. Again, that should get a full-stop "hell, no" from anyone who values their medical license.

Reactions: 5 users
sorry no time to read thread
but agree with quick read

Not just no but h-e double hockey sticks no! Why would they ask? Its a trap! Its a trap!

Hey hey, as a native Oregonian I resemble that remark...lol. I've adopted SC over the past eleven years but I do get homesick. It is soooo weird with the weed shops on every corner though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey hey, as a native Oregonian I resemble that remark...lol. I've adopted SC over the past eleven years but I do get homesick. It is soooo weird with the weed shops on every corner though.

There are more weed shops in Oregon than there are Starbucks or McDonalds. True story.

980x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
spoke with management
they agreed I will only write for controlled substances if pt seen by me in clinic
thanks for help everyone

Reactions: 2 users

Im concerned
Any advice

No you should not need a collaborating physician before applying for a DEA number. The DEA number, like your NP license and RN license is your number. It is, however, likely that your employer will want you to change the address on the DEA number to the employer's address.As soon as you have a your NP license apply for the National Provider ID number. Information can be found on the web. Pretty painless. It will be tied to everything else you do. It's also tied to your social security number.

Is your NP a recent grad ?

If she is, its easy to get the DEA number.
AANP - How to Order a DEA Number