Contract says I have ten days to sign - I'm out of town for four. They can't rescind right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theWUbear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of town, typing this on my cell. Kind of in the woods in a national park. Accepted a position recently, verbally after interview. Was told my interview was fantastic. I'm excited to start. Contract was sent to my yesterday by email. I have ten days to print, sign, scan, and email it back, according to the precise wording in the contract. Am I OK waiting until wednesday (within the date range allowed by contract) or can the school/employer at any time between now and me signing say "why is he waiting, that's weird, let's find someone else" and rescind it?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of town, typing this on my cell. Kind of in the woods in a national park. Accepted a position recently, verbally after interview. Was told my interview was fantastic. I'm excited to start. Contract was sent to my yesterday by email. I have ten days to print, sign, scan, and email it back, according to the precise wording in the contract. Am I OK waiting until wednesday (within the date range allowed by contract) or can the school/employer at any time between now and me signing say "why is he waiting, that's weird, let's find someone else" and rescind it?
Email back that you're literally in the woods and will sign it upon return to civilization

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for your response. It appeals to common sense. I can and will do that. However, my paranoia remains, as someone who really unexpectedly did not match and finally seems to have my nightmare ended. Wondering if this can be answered from the legal sense. Can the contract be rescinded solely because I'm adhering to it's language that "this contract must be signed and returned to the program within 10 days", if the PD wanting to get things rolling, and it seems I'm 'dragging my feet'? (I'm sure there are 100s of other applicants that hoped for this spot). It would be difficult to 'get back to civilization' right now but I'll make it happen in a day if I need to do this

No problem, I appreciate your response and hope one of the people in residency leadership positions who view this forum might be able to chime in

While your "paranoia" is understandable, you have 10 days. You'll be back before the deadline and can handle this. They are not going to rescind your contract.

Since they are accepting an electronic copy, why not upload the document to DocuSign, use your phone to scan your signature, upload the signature, sign electronically and send it to them today?

While your "paranoia" is understandable, you have 10 days. You'll be back before the deadline and can handle this. They are not going to rescind your contract.

Since they are accepting an electronic copy, why not upload the document to DocuSign, use your phone to scan your signature, upload the signature, sign electronically and send it to them today?
martian-3847.jpg

Adobe Fill and Sign is your best friend assuming it came as a pdf. Free app for both iOS and Android. I use it almost every week to insert my signature or initials on documents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Adobe Fill and Sign is your best friend assuming it came as a pdf. Free app for both iOS and Android. I use it almost every week to insert my signature or initials on documents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep i use that or Docusign frequently; it's definitely the answer to the OPs problem

Reactions: 1 user