Contract review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CovFEFE

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations regarding an attorney who mainly does healthcare employment contract review?

If the employer is a large hospital with a boiler-plate contract for all its 500+ doctors, is it even possible to make changes to such a contract? Has anyone had success negotiating terms with such hospitals with boiler-plate contracts?

Has anyone used contract diagnostics? It's recommended by whitecoatinvestor (aka paid advertiser on the site), mind sharing ur experience and pros/cons about the service?
Physician Contract Reviews | Contract Diagnostics |

Thx!

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, a contract like that will not have much wiggle room. Might be able to change a few things, but outside of monies and maybe vacation, it is going to be pretty static.

Worth having an attorney review but not much is going to change.

PM if you would like some recommendations.

I would ask them upfront if anything is negotiable. If they say "no" then there's little point in having a lawyer review it. It probably also says something about them as employers as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have an attourney review it to make sure you understand what you are getting into even if there's little wiggle room. Also to highlight any red flags you may have missed on your review. They might sneak in some wording that may be crucial to your decision making process. At the very least you know and understand clearly what you are signing.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, a contract like that will not have much wiggle room. Might be able to change a few things, but outside of monies and maybe vacation, it is going to be pretty static.

Worth having an attorney review but not much is going to change.

PM if you would like some recommendations.

Thanks for the feedback, I agree there probably won't be much wiggle room, but I think it's still worthwhile to understand all the legalese that I'll be signing... I pm'ed you btw for lawyer recs..

thanks!

I would ask them upfront if anything is negotiable. If they say "no" then there's little point in having a lawyer review it. It probably also says something about them as employers as well.

Good points!

There's a paragraph in the contract regarding amendments, and it says ."..this agreement may only be modified by a written document signed by both parties.." which seems to suggest that an addendum to the contract could be added??? But I'll check with them.
Thx!

I would have an attourney review it to make sure you understand what you are getting into even if there's little wiggle room. Also to highlight any red flags you may have missed on your review. They might sneak in some wording that may be crucial to your decision making process. At the very least you know and understand clearly what you are signing.

I totally agree with this!!! It's an important decision, so I think it's wise to fully understand what I'm signing, and that I haven't overlooked any potential red flags!

thx!

Used him on the recommendation of a friend. He is excellent.

Mark D. Abruzzo, Esq.

Thanks for the info.

Was your job in the same state as him? The job I'm considering is in a different state.. That said, I would think the core components of an employment contract would be similar across states, but obviously employment/medical practice laws can vary across states...

Also did he find anything in the contract that you didn't pick up on ur review? U can pm me if you prefer..

thx!

For me the most important parts of employee contract are the restrictive covenant and who pays malpractice tail (if claims made policy; tail not needed for occurrence), and buy in discussion. Most folks leave their first job so having a covenant (enforcibility depends on state) of either less than six months or for a short distance (varies on geography) may matter a lot.

Tail is usually twice annual premiums or about $16,000 for ophthalmologist. Before I went solo didn't realize it was so low, I have general surgeon friends who paid over $50,000.

Finally, a written proposal (not necessarily binding, but goes to show they have intent) of a buy in for a reasonable price goes a long way.

Or just go solo. It's the best professional decision I've made. My buddy and I are writing a blog on how to start and manage a solo ophthalmology practice. Follow us at www.solobuildingblogs.com !

Last edited: