Contract Non-Renewal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can also demonstrate insight if you are admitting an issue has been identified but simply asking for it to be remediated in a suitable fashion that is evidence based. I.e. to be given the best chance possible to overcome and succeed which you have not been given yet. If you have help from key stakeholders/champions thst argument may be given merit.

The appeals may be gme run but make sure you have somebody from outside gme who has standing or skin in the game - a dean with jurisdiction on disputes/appeals regarding education or ombudsman from the broader governing structure. Or a union rep from a residents union. Somebody who provides accountability to the argument that you have not yet been given what you should be which is thorough remediation designed in a way that looks at literature developing on successful remediation. There of course is a lot on the line and it deserves to be properly addressed.

If you play politely but thoroughly and find champions there's a chance that they might become more invested in you succeeding...if they are invested in knowing they remediated thoroughly and well. You would then be a positive example of a strong educational program.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So what was the result of the meeting? Is the OP being allowed to continue or is he being let go? Is there a separate match for PGY-2?

Does anyone know whatever happened to OP? What happened to him?

Just out of curiosity, for somebody in this position what are the chances of him getting another FM residency?

I've had no luck finding another program. Trying to decide if I should appeal. Any advice on appeal vs. letting my contract run out vs. resignation?

My thinking is that with contract non renewal, I could still get unemployment vs. resignation. Plus side it think to resignation is I can say I resigned when applying again. I don't see a benefit to appealing, because if I do, I risk the same thing happening all over again. Its not like the attendings that don't think I do a good job for whatever reason are going to change their minds about my performance.

If you have a one-year contract and it's not renewed, I don't know if you'd qualify to collect unemployment. If you were terminated early, you'd probably qualify. But since residency is considered a training program and temporary in nature, and your contract guarantees nothing beyond the end date written therein, I would check on unemployment qualifications first, before having this factor into any decisions you make. Some of the rules for collecting unemployment can be quirky.

I remember being told that half of medical school is teaching you how to find answers

SDN isn't bad
Unemployment questions - unemployment office, website, attorney, employment contract, employed people

I'm not saying this to be a dick, I just can't help writing long lists and notes

I remember being told that half of medical school is teaching you how to find answers

SDN isn't bad
Unemployment questions - unemployment office, website, attorney, employment contract, employed people

I'm not saying this to be a dick, I just can't help writing long lists and notes
Of course that confession is inside the shortest post I've ever seen from you :)

Reactions: 9 users
Of course that confession is inside the shortest post I've ever seen from you :)
I've had no luck finding another program. Trying to decide if I should appeal. Any advice on appeal vs. letting my contract run out vs. resignation?

My thinking is that with contract non renewal, I could still get unemployment vs. resignation. Plus side it think to resignation is I can say I resigned when applying again. I don't see a benefit to appealing, because if I do, I risk the same thing happening all over again. Its not like the attendings that don't think I do a good job for whatever reason are going to change their minds about my performance.

I am going through the same situation. What happened to your case? My program ccc has decided to give me 1 year credit but they won't renew the contract. I am also in confusion what can I do next? I am also blindsided. My PD told me to apply for patho as I am more suitable for non-clinical side than clinical. How should I proceed? Any suggestions?

So an example given to me of my lack of "critical thinking": a patient sends me for a prenatal visit. She was having lower abdominal pain prominently at rest. it has been going on for a week or two. She's having whitish discharge. I felt the pain was likely secondary to the BV. However I wanted to be certain there was nothing more serious going on. I had ruled out things like appendicitis from my history. Because my physical exam didn't include deep palpation of the pts abdomen and when I presented, I didn't remember the specific amount of time she had stated, I showed poor critical thinking. This is seriously the example that my PD gave me.

Another example is: I was called during night float about a patient. The patient was there being treated for a DVT. The pt only had one kidney. She had poor kidney function prior to admission and only worsened since. I was called for a critical potassium level. Concerned that the increase in potassium was caused by her kidneys failing, I chose not to give any fluids. Instead I chose to give kayexalate and calcium gluconate. What I had not been told at checkout was that the patient has been having diarrhea throughout the day. I was told I showed poor critical thinking in this instance because I didn't recognize her volume status was low. She didn't have tachycardia or an abnormally low blood pressure.

There are very few concrete examples that I have been given. The majority of the things I'm told about are instances where I freeze while being pimped.

Was uptodate or epocrates down that night?? Seriously you can be presented with almost any situation and look it up in minutes on uptodate and have a relatively sound plan.. uptodate can and has been used in court to justify medical decisions.

Was uptodate or epocrates down that night?? Seriously you can be presented with almost any situation and look it up in minutes on uptodate and have a relatively sound plan.. uptodate can and has been used in court to justify medical decisions.

Solid bump to a two year old posting...

Reactions: 1 users

Yes those are tools for helping said in a clinical decision. Anyone in medicine knows and uses those. Don't you think that is the first place I would have looked? Regardless, it doesn't have anything to do with the post. Totally unhelpful. Thanks for trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE="atillius[/QUOTE]

Hope you are doing well. Did you get another residency?

[QUOTE="atillius

Hope you are doing well. Did you get another residency?[/QUOTE]

Working in critical care as a functioning resident. Working on getting into a residency at an affiliate hospital. Haven’t had any issues at this new position.

Hope you are doing well. Did you get another residency?

Working in critical care as a functioning resident. Working on getting into a residency at an affiliate hospital. Haven’t had any issues at this new position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Hi Atillius,
My situation is very similar to yours. Just curious to know how it all ended. Did you get into another program or your appeal worked out fine? Please kindly reply.
Thanks

Hi Atillius,
My situation is very similar to yours. Just curious to know how it all ended. Did you get into another program or your appeal worked out fine? Please kindly reply.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

I matched back into residency. No issues since. Going to graduate this year.

Reactions: 17 users
Hi Atillius,
Thanks

I matched back into residency. No issues since. Going to graduate this year.
[/QUOTE]
Congrats. Did you do FM again or something else?

FM. It was what I wanted to begin with.

Reactions: 2 users