Contract Negotiation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4kidz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I'm a PL-3 at a small community program in the process of applying for gen peds jobs right now. I'm geographically restricted to one mid-sized metro area in the SE due to my significant other's career (just started a new job). Luckily, there are positions available. However, all the open primary care jobs are within the area's two major health systems and completely outpatient. As I trained in a smaller area I am much more accustomed to the gen peds docs at least doing newborn rounds and I am not sure that I would be happy doing strictly outpatient.

Have you all ever heard of someone negotiating for at least newborn rounding? Would it be considered rude to ask since I knew when I applied that the jobs were 100% outpatient? The health systems both have a children's hospital and some of the practices in the system do have newborn coverage responsibilities. However, those practices are not hiring. I apologize if this is a silly question but every time I hear about contract negotiations its always about salary and I didn't know if people also negotiate their clinical responsibilities.

Members don't see this ad.

That seems like a very reasonable thing to ask. Many places have the ability to be flexible about that stuff - or they can put you into touch with people that may alllow you to moonlight inpatient and nursery.

You won't know if you don't ask.

When negotiating a contract, salary is important but not the only thing - and usually not the most important thing either (given most places are flexible within a range) - time off, patients per day, malpractice coverage, 401Ks, healthcare, support from other staff etc etc are very much important.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I'm a PL-3 at a small community program in the process of applying for gen peds jobs right now. I'm geographically restricted to one mid-sized metro area in the SE due to my significant other's career (just started a new job). Luckily, there are positions available. However, all the open primary care jobs are within the area's two major health systems and completely outpatient. As I trained in a smaller area I am much more accustomed to the gen peds docs at least doing newborn rounds and I am not sure that I would be happy doing strictly outpatient.

Have you all ever heard of someone negotiating for at least newborn rounding? Would it be considered rude to ask since I knew when I applied that the jobs were 100% outpatient? The health systems both have a children's hospital and some of the practices in the system do have newborn coverage responsibilities. However, those practices are not hiring. I apologize if this is a silly question but every time I hear about contract negotiations its always about salary and I didn't know if people also negotiate their clinical responsibilities.
You can always ask and they can always say no. If by chance they do say yes though, get it in writing.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for the responses. That was a good suggestion about moonlighting MEN2C. I'll be sure to look into that. I guess I just needed reassurance that it was ok to ask. This process is so different that interviewing for residency.