Continuing a vet career without a recognized degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buggy88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend has a BVM degree from China. I am from Singapore. She has graduated 2-3 years ago and is in practice. She intends to move to Singapore but would like to work as a vet there. Singapore does not recognize her degree and will only consider her if she passes an international exam such as NAVLE, RCVS and so on. Unfortunately due to the small size, Singapore has neither vet school nor an established farm industry. While being able to work in the US is a plus, her main priority is being able to work in Singapore.

My questions as follows.

1) Assuming she is taking NAVLE and ECFVG/PAVE, how long will it most probably take for her to clear the program, and in your opinion what's the best route (her situation - small animal practice mostly, says TOEFL is not a problem for her)? How easy or difficult are the tests to prepare?

2) Should she not get the NAVLE license, and can therefore only work as a vet tech or nurse in Singapore, how easy is it for her to revive her vet career in the future (without re-taking vet school overseas)?

3) Is it possible for her to prepare for ECFVG/PAVE (and NAVLE) from Singapore without being in practice, or do the examiners require her to be in practice during the period?

4) For the practical portion of the ECFVG exam, how can she prepare for it?

I am not a vet and the only things I know is what I've read from the AVMA sites and the licensing board back in my country, but I would want to be informed so that I can help in whatever little ways I can. I greatly appreciate your help and reply.

Thanks!

TL

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for the NAVLE since that's the only exam I've taken. In addition, your question is impossible to fully answer without knowing the type of curriculum she went through in her BVM program. That being said, I didn't find the NAVLE to be too difficult to prepare for. If she's comfortable doing all of her preparation and studying in English, then the prep programs Zuku and VetPrep are quite valuable. If she goes that route, she should block out some time for solid studying until she's comfortable with the material and the type of questions (probably a couple of weeks if she's doing nothing but studying, a couple of months if she's studying while working a job). She should also understand that the NAVLE is a general test - there's no testing just on the small animal portion, so she has to be prepared for all of it.

I don't know the specifics of Singapore law or anything about the ECFVG. Sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Should she not get the NAVLE license, and can therefore only work as a vet tech or nurse in Singapore, how easy is it for her to revive her vet career in the future (without re-taking vet school overseas)?
should be relatively easy. She just need to keep her skills sharp.

Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on her information and how much she knows about vet medicine. some people get their lisence within 2 years others more time. Usually people study for 6 hours a day for at least 4 months for BSCE while using zuku or vetprep.
For the cpe she needs to be able to spay a dog ( ovarian hysterectomy) and other stuff should be diagnosis some cases.
As of other centers for taking those exams, usually there are some places over the world that offer the exams.

I can answer your questions about NAVLE and the ECFVG. I've gone through it all, and am now licensed in California.

The BCSE and the NAVLE are simple enough to prepare for if she commands English pretty well. Using Zuku and/or VetPrep, she'll be fine with 3 months of preparation, doing a couple of hours a day.

The CPE is a little trickier to prepare for. It depends a lot more on actually having hands-on experience, since anyone can attain the proper book knowledge through studying for the NAVLE. NO, they don't require you to be practicing in order to take the exam, but she SHOULD look for opportunities to extern or shadow a doctor. I would take every opportunity to practice in her least strong areas. For instance, if she is more comfortable with small animals, then she should look for dairy stables, or find an equine vet to follow around. A minimum amount of practical experience in each area is enough for the CPE, as long as your book knowledge is SOLID. You have to really know your stuff down to the last detail. (I'm afraid it's not just "spay a dog ( ovarian hysterectomy) and other stuff should be diagnosis some cases" as stated above)

The whole ECFVG process can take as little as 6 months, or a few years, it all depends on her efficiency and luck as far as scheduling the exams.

Reactions: 3 users
I can answer your questions about NAVLE and the ECFVG. I've gone through it all, and am now licensed in California.

The BCSE and the NAVLE are simple enough to prepare for if she commands English pretty well. Using Zuku and/or VetPrep, she'll be fine with 3 months of preparation, doing a couple of hours a day.

The CPE is a little trickier to prepare for. It depends a lot more on actually having hands-on experience, since anyone can attain the proper book knowledge through studying for the NAVLE. NO, they don't require you to be practicing in order to take the exam, but she SHOULD look for opportunities to extern or shadow a doctor. I would take every opportunity to practice in her least strong areas. For instance, if she is more comfortable with small animals, then she should look for dairy stables, or find an equine vet to follow around. A minimum amount of practical experience in each area is enough for the CPE, as long as your book knowledge is SOLID. You have to really know your stuff down to the last detail. (I'm afraid it's not just "spay a dog ( ovarian hysterectomy) and other stuff should be diagnosis some cases" as stated above)

The whole ECFVG process can take as little as 6 months, or a few years, it all depends on her efficiency and luck as far as scheduling the exams.

Hi Dr. NWS, I sent you a private message with additional questions - please check.
Thanks for your advice - it is very useful!

I'm sorry for saying that, but you are very rude, the stated above is a person and have a name even if it is just a nick name. Doesn't hurt to be polite.
also would like to add I have never come a cross anyone that got a lisence within 6 months. Its not realistic.
Thank you doctor

I'm sorry for saying that, but you are very rude, the stated above is a person and have a name even if it is just a nick name. Doesn't hurt to be polite.
also would like to add I have never come a cross anyone that got a lisence within 6 months. Its not realistic.
Thank you doctor

Huh? How on earth was that response rude??

It was extremely polite and detailed.

Reactions: 6 users
Huh? How on earth was that response rude??

It was extremely polite and detailed.
He was rude when he quoted part of my comment when he mentiond it (as stated above) without refering to my name.
Anyway what is polite to you not necessarily means polite to another person.

He was rude when he quoted part of my comment when he mentiond it (as stated above) without refering to my name.
Anyway what is polite to you not necessarily means polite to another person.

He didn't quote you anywhere. He gave his own answer to the question. You weren't even involved in his answer - you had already given your own.

I'm assuming English isn't your first language - there was nothing rude in his post and it had absolutely nothing to do with yours, unless there was a part that was deleted that I didn't see. Before you jump in and call another person rude, be sure that you actually understand what is going on.

Reactions: 4 users
He didn't quote you anywhere. He gave his own answer to the question. You weren't even involved in his answer - you had already given your own.

I'm assuming English isn't your first language - there was nothing rude in his post and it had absolutely nothing to do with yours, unless there was a part that was deleted that I didn't see. Before you jump in and call another person rude, be sure that you actually understand what is going on.
I believe its a free country I can say what I think , and he is the only person that can clarify any misunderstanding.
If you excuse me I will end this discussion with you because it has nothing to do with you to start with. Have a good night :)

It all depends on her information and how much she knows about vet medicine. some people get their lisence within 2 years others more time. Usually people study for 6 hours a day for at least 4 months for BSCE while using zuku or vetprep.
For the cpe she needs to be able to spay a dog ( ovarian hysterectomy) and other stuff should be diagnosis some cases.
As of other centers for taking those exams, usually there are some places over the world that offer the exams.

Thank you doctor

See what I did there? You didn't refer to anyone by name either and WTF is absolutely correct that what the other poster posted was not in any way rude. I think you've misunderstood something.

Reactions: 3 users
I believe its a free country I can say what I think , and he is the only person that can clarify any misunderstanding.
If you excuse me I will end this discussion with you because it has nothing to do with you to start with. Have a good night :)

It does have to do with me when you are name-calling members of this forum whom I consider colleagues.

Your passive aggressive smiley-face and tone are not helping. The only one being rude here is now you, and for a reason that makes absolutely no sense. We are trying to clarify things for you as obviously something got lost in translation.

Reactions: 2 users
It does have to do with me when you are name-calling members of this forum whom I consider colleagues.

Your passive aggressive smiley-face and tone are not helping. The only one being rude here is now you, and for a reason that makes absolutely no sense. We are trying to clarify things for you as obviously something got lost in translation.
If I was rude to you by anyway please accept my apology as I like to treat people the way I like to be treated. Being rude or impolite to any person in this world is not my intention. If the smily face offended you, then I'm not sure what face would look nice and not aggressive. a flower may be? :p

Wow! I came back to find so much drama! I'm a little flattered by all this attention.

I would like to address this comment:
Thank you doctor

It seems almost impossible, I agree! However, please refer to the ECFVG's Frequently Asked Questions page which distinctly states the possibility of completion of all four steps in 4-6 months (see # 15):
https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/foreign/documents/faq.pdf

Cheers.

Reactions: 2 users