Contacting programs for open positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purple_snowflake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm going to contact programs about PGY-2 openings. Is it best to be upfront with your PD and have them help you before contacting programs, or, is it best to see what's available and then notify your PD? Since many positions are unadvertised, is an email or phone call more appropriate? Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no single right answer.

First of all, it's June 4th. I'm guessing you already signed a PGY-2 contract for next year at your current program? In that case, you will need to bide by the details in your contract. Should have a notice section in it that tell you how much notice you need to give -- probably 90 or 120 days. If so, at best you're going to be able to transfer by the middle of the year, and any program with a current opening might or might not be willing to wait for you.

Much depends upon why you're transferring, your PD, and how you're doing. If you're not doing well, then it's a very complicated situation. If think you're program isn't good, that's also complicated -- hard conv to have to tell your PD "I don't think this is a good program, looking to move to a better one, can you help me?".

Also depends upon the field involved.

My personal style is that I'm happy to talk to people, off the record, about open positions. I will review a CV. But I won't interview someone without talking to their PD, and better they hear it from you than me. But that's just my style -- there's no set of official "rules".

Reactions: 1 user
There's no single right answer.

First of all, it's June 4th. I'm guessing you already signed a PGY-2 contract for next year at your current program? In that case, you will need to bide by the details in your contract. Should have a notice section in it that tell you how much notice you need to give -- probably 90 or 120 days. If so, at best you're going to be able to transfer by the middle of the year, and any program with a current opening might or might not be willing to wait for you.

I just reviewed my PGY-2 contract, and it's pretty short. In it, there is nothing about giving notice before breaking my contract. Therefore, I thought maybe there was something in our resident handbook that might say something about it, but here as well I found nothing.

Is it possible that my hospital doesn't address this issue? How common would that be?

I do happen to know of a past resident in my program who quit with no notice in March of his PGY-1 year. Another one (same class) quit July 1 of PGY-1 year (yeah, my program doesn't have a great rep). As far as I know, these residents faced no legal consequences, although obviously their names are now "Mud" in the medical profession.

I just reviewed my PGY-2 contract, and it's pretty short. In it, there is nothing about giving notice before breaking my contract. Therefore, I thought maybe there was something in our resident handbook that might say something about it, but here as well I found nothing.

Is it possible that my hospital doesn't address this issue? How common would that be?

I do happen to know of a past resident in my program who quit with no notice in March of his PGY-1 year. Another one (same class) quit July 1 of PGY-1 year (yeah, my program doesn't have a great rep). As far as I know, these residents faced no legal consequences, although obviously their names are now "Mud" in the medical profession.
just be wary of potential hell to be caught when your PD inevitably finds out you're calling other programs

Reactions: 1 user
Just think how awkward it will be if the new residency calls your PD and your PD doesn't know you are planning on leaving. Also, what are the chances someone would still hire you after something like this? If you have no problem looking for a better residency, even after you signed a contract, what would stop you from doing it again?