Considered NBPAS instead of ABMS recertification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Extralong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at this kind of new re-certification called NBPAS, ever since the whole ABIM ordeal and other specialty organizations through ABMS were found guilt of being crooks, and was wondering what your thoughts are? Have any of you tried certification/re-certification through National Board of Physicians and Surgeons (NBPAS)?

For those of you that don't know what I am referring to,
heres a link: https://nbpas.org/why-nbpas/

Members don't see this ad.

This is my last certification cycle with ABMS: I figured I'd complete this 10 year cycle since I already "sunk" costs into it for the last decade. The ABMS-specialties MOC processes are wasteful, money-making scams. It did nothing to improve my clinical practice or my patients' care. It was a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my last certification cycle with ABMS: I figured I'd complete this 10 year cycle since I already "sunk" costs into it for the last decade. The ABMS-specialties MOC processes are wasteful, money-making scams. It did nothing to improve my clinical practice or my patients' care. It was a waste of time and money.

Congrats! I am hoping not to sink more costs in to ABMS if NBPAS becomes more wide spread, but I'm still a bit hesitant, due to how new it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
ABPMR Pain cert this year.
NPBAS certified last year.
ABPMR PMR cert lapsed this year, will redo when they get rid of the test, otherwise will not participate.

the more competition the better IMHO. Let's make America great again! :)

I got NBPAS last year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Coming out of fellowship all I had to do was prove I was boarded and something like $26. It's more once you've been out a while but not much. Then just need to complete CME each year.

I'm going to do NBPAS
Recert ABMS Pain Medicine one more time, then NBPAS forever more if I live that long
ABMS is an extortion scam, I'm done with them. Let them rot.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your feedback. I think lobelsteve is correct, you have to have an initial certification with ABMS, but afterwards you can then do the NBPAS. I'm also glad to know that there are people on this forum that are actually certified in it.

I do have a question. Did you guys have to request your hospital accept these boards for hospital privileges and admitting rights?

I'm pushing my system to accept NBPAS. They're seriously considering it.

I'm going to do NBPAS
Recert ABMS Pain Medicine one more time, then NBPAS forever more if I live that long
ABMS is an extortion scam, I'm done with them. Let them rot.

Well, I finally got my NBPAS certificate. Going to take my Pain Medicine boards in a few months and I think I'll do my primary boards one more time. Then hopefully ABMS can rot away and I can be done with those extortionists.

for those who get their pain cert through anesthesia, ive been pleasantly surprised by the MOC. this year, the questions have been a good mixture of pain and anesthesia. 30 questions a quarter is very do-able.

I agree its appropriate for us to object to having an external source force us to pay and jump through hoops to continue to work.

as long as the ulterior motive is not subtly advocating for not keeping up on our professional knowledge and learn the latest information. yes, Anesthesia MOC probably is a scam, but it is educational and is one way I can prove to myself that I am up to date and continuing to learn.

mail

A Message from the AAPM&R Board of Governors: CHANGE MOC NOW!
mail

The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R) understands the time and financial burden Maintenance of Certification® (MOC®) requirements place on physiatrists. For the past 3 years, we have been actively advocating for a more meaningful, less arduous and less costly process on your behalf to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR). This includes testifying to the ABMS Board of Directors and numerous meetings and phone calls with ABPMR leadership, voicing the frustration of our members. Despite all these efforts, we are not satisfied with the progress. We have identified specific opportunities for the ABPMR to make changes right now. AAPM&R wants to reiterate and clarify our stance on MOC.
  • ABPMR and AAPM&R are separate organizations.
    • The ABPMR/ABMS sets certification and MOC requirements. Once those requirements are set, AAPM&R determines how it can support members in meeting the requirements successfully.
  • AAPM&R (Academy) believes Board certification should not be a criterion for medical licensing nor a sole criterion for credentialing and/or privileging.
  • AAPM&R does not support MOC in its current structure.
  • We urge ABPMR to immediately discontinue the high stakes and expensive Part III exam.
  • We urge ABPMR to immediately suspend Part IV/PIP.
  • We support the rapid implementation of a longitudinal formative assessment in lieu of Parts II, III, IV.
  • Implementation of the revised structure must:
    • be meaningful and demonstrate value for physiatrists.
    • reduce the financial burden on all physiatrists.
    • provide a path for those who are currently MOC Part III eligible to transition so they are not penalized.
We urge you to join your Academy (AAPM&R) in advocating for changes to the current structure of Maintenance of Certification® (MOC®) by contacting the American Board of PM&R (ABPMR). To take action, please take a moment to submit a customizable letter to the ABPMR Board of Directors. In your message, please feel free to include any personal anecdotes that might add impact to the message.

Sincerely,
AAPM&R Board of Governors

Darryl L. Kaelin, MD, FAAPMR
President

Peter C. Esselman, MD, FAAPMR
President-Elect

Michelle S. Gittler, MD, FAAPMR
Vice President

Deborah A. Venesy, MD, FAAPMR
Secretary

Jonathan Finnoff, DO, FAAPMR
Treasurer