confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjamm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so on the first exam of Bootcamp theres this question:

29. Which of the following pieces of laboratory equipment would be best for a chemist to use to measure 8.7 mL of a solution?

answer is pipet. I read the explanation and it confused me even more lol

I had a similar question in the 2016 DAT Destroyer(cant recall the number) and it said buret. I thought it was buret too.

can someone tell me which is right/more accurate? thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't overthink it! Just keep these two things in mind for this problem:

1. Pipettes are for transferring precise amounts of liquids.

2. Burets are for titrations involving precise amounts of liquids.

Reactions: 1 user
There are different types of pipets - volumetric, graduated, disposable, etc. Some pipets are not very precise and are meant more for transferring than measuring liquid, while others are very precise and measure the volume of liquid.

A volumetric pipet gives a more precise solution measurement than a buret.

That's incorrect, a burette is more accurate. Titrations require very accurate measurements, which is why we use a burette.

Don't overthink it! Just keep these two things in mind for this problem:

1. Pipettes are for transferring precise amounts of liquids.

2. Burets are for titrations involving precise amounts of liquids.

I don't think he's overthinking it, his question is legit. But you brought up good information :)

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer it correctly on the DAT, look at the wording and count decimal places. 0.1 mL value along with "transferring/measuring" would be a pipet. 0.01mL place value along with information that would infer a titration, choose buret. If the information doesn't infer a titration, I'd still choose buret based off decimal places even though my lab uses pipets for accuracy up to 0.001ml.

Last edited:
To answer it correctly on the DAT, look at the wording and count decimal places. 0.1 mL value along with "transferring/measuring" would be a pipet. 0.001mL place value along with information that would infer a titration, choose buret. If the information doesn't infer a titration, I'd still choose buret based off decimal places even though my lab uses pipets for accuracy up to 0.001ml.

0.001mL is a 1μl. You rather use a pipette for values that small. But for 8.7mL (OP's question from Bootcamp), the answer should be burette. Bootcamp made a mistake.